GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-19, 01:17 AM
slvrcrz
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

so after all of this, do you guys still recommend me getting this?
Old 05-01-19, 07:00 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by slvrcrz
so after all of this, do you guys still recommend me getting this?
Absolutely, but you need to be prepared for all the quirks and some bugs that you may encounter. GROM support is very good, they will get you by most of it.
Old 05-01-19, 07:41 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Absolutely, but you need to be prepared for all the quirks and some bugs that you may encounter. GROM support is very good, they will get you by most of it.
I'd wait until Android auto is released if that's what you're using and I would trade a hard look at beatsonic as they are releasing a competitive product that has car play.
The following users liked this post:
slvrcrz (05-01-19)
Old 05-01-19, 09:09 AM
slvrcrz
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

oh for real, i didnt know beatsonic has one like that
Old 05-01-19, 02:35 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Well, the have one for the Camry, hopefully they are working on something for Lexus cars

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/toyotacarplay.html
Old 05-09-19, 04:41 PM
yelloiroc
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a VLine 2 installed, and while the unit works well for me I can no longer recommend the product due to the abysmal customer service the company offers. I emailed them today looking for a changelog for the latest update and they just ran me around. All they had to say is "No, we don't offer a change log to the public" or "Yes, here's a link."

They kept asking what version I wanted the changelog for. I let them know the most recent one. They then stated there are two recent releases and asked which one. I then asked for both or a general link to the data. There reply again was "What Version?". Either they have multiple people handling email that don't read the previous replies, or they are just being intentionally difficult.

For what its worth, my first interaction with their support was spot on and efficient. So I'm not sure what's going on there. This is an expensive device which only this company can offer details for as it's basically a hack to the OEM infotainment system. If this is a sign of things to come anyone with the unit installed is likely in a for a rough ride.
Old 05-09-19, 05:10 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by yelloiroc
I have a VLine 2 installed, and while the unit works well for me I can no longer recommend the product due to the abysmal customer service the company offers. I emailed them today looking for a changelog for the latest update and they just ran me around. All they had to say is "No, we don't offer a change log to the public" or "Yes, here's a link."

They kept asking what version I wanted the changelog for. I let them know the most recent one. They then stated there are two recent releases and asked which one. I then asked for both or a general link to the data. There reply again was "What Version?". Either they have multiple people handling email that don't read the previous replies, or they are just being intentionally difficult.

For what its worth, my first interaction with their support was spot on and efficient. So I'm not sure what's going on there. This is an expensive device which only this company can offer details for as it's basically a hack to the OEM infotainment system. If this is a sign of things to come anyone with the unit installed is likely in a for a rough ride.
I think you are over-reacting. Remember they support VL2 for multiple Lexus cars and recently they have release it for Nissan/Infiniti cars too. I would expect them to have multiple versions of their software released to the public, that is why they are asking you to confirm which version you're running. Each time I contact support, first thing they ask for is which software version I'm running so they can distinguish which car I have. I don't think that's too much to ask for. I do wish they publish changelog somewhere the public can get to, believe me I've asked them multiple times. For whatever reason, they don't publish it. Probably due to multitude of versions they support, they don't want to do it now. Perhaps in the future they can do it.

Try contacting any Chinese Android device manufacturer, see what kind of support they will provide you. GROM support is fantastic for a small company.
Im2bz2p345 (05-09-19)
Old 05-09-19, 05:32 PM
yelloiroc
Driver School Candidate

Reacting, yes. Overreacting I'm not so sure.

All they had to do was explain that fact if that was the case, what if a less technically inclined customer reached out to them and was not able to easily provide that info. Would they just be left to their own devices? If they don't off a log all they needed to do was state that they don't provide that info to end users.

As I mentioned I was impressed by their support when I first contacted them but from that point on it was all downhill.

Ironically I actually own a Chinese Android phone and their support is top-notch. The region of the world a product originates from does not always dictate the level of support you will receive from them.

My feedback was simply to state buyer beware.
eddoker (05-12-19)
Old 05-18-19, 10:16 AM
wsykes
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me in for a CL discount!!!
Old 05-18-19, 10:32 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by wsykes
Count me in for a CL discount!!!
What CL discount? GROM had sale around Feb-Mar for $539.99, now it's $599.99. I'm not aware of any group discount currently available thru this forum.
Old 05-20-19, 07:27 AM
yelloiroc
Driver School Candidate

I emailed them and asked for a discount code when originally ordering one and they happily provided me with one.
The following 2 users liked this post by yelloiroc:
Im2bz2p345 (05-20-19), jdpdata (05-20-19)
Old 05-20-19, 09:54 AM
bob256k
Instructor

What has been everyone's experience with carplay phone calls using the VL2? I get a horrible echo on both my phone and my wife's phone to the point of the call being unusable. The sad thing is my phone paired with the OEM bluetooth system is perfect.
Old 05-21-19, 02:07 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Default Android Auto coming May 23rd

Android Auto is almost here.
And they announced VL2 for our 3G MDX!!! Super sweet, can't wait to get for wife MDX. She so jealous of my VL2 in the Gs.

Im2bz2p345 (05-29-19)
Old 05-24-19, 12:00 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Default Android Auto Finally here!

Got some updates yesterday and Android Auto is finally working. Simpy plug in your Android phone into lower USB port and AA will work. First impression, everything looks way too BIG. They need to resize it a bit better to fit the tiny screen. All steering wheel buttons works. (volume, track up/down). Menu button default to Android Auto main screen. Back button summons voice guidance. Can make phone calls from AA. Volume is kinda low and some static. Will need to test some more. I will probably not use AA much as I prefer VLine standalone apps. But it's nice that GROM finally gives us this option.

The following 2 users liked this post by jdpdata:
Im2bz2p345 (05-29-19), joedaddy1 (05-24-19)
Old 05-24-19, 12:49 PM
maclem8223
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Bought one this morning, looking forward to the install! Also picked up a little T-Mobile hotspot for the GS so I don't have to use my phone.
The following 2 users liked this post by maclem8223:
jdpdata (05-24-19), yelloiroc (05-24-19)

Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed