GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-19, 07:31 AM
maclem8223
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure if this is software related or my hotspot but I'm leaning towards software related. I have my VLine connected to my TMobile Sync-Up wifi hotspot. If I run a speedtest while connected to my phone I'm pulling like 30 download which is plenty for streaming Spotify or simply downloading Google Maps. I've tried with a hotspot on my phone and with the VLine connected to my home network which is Gigabit. Spotify won't play and I can't download from the PlayStore either. Just sits at download pending.... Restarted the Vline as well, not sure what else to do with this one.
Old 05-31-19, 08:28 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by maclem8223
Not sure if this is software related or my hotspot but I'm leaning towards software related. I have my VLine connected to my TMobile Sync-Up wifi hotspot. If I run a speedtest while connected to my phone I'm pulling like 30 download which is plenty for streaming Spotify or simply downloading Google Maps. I've tried with a hotspot on my phone and with the VLine connected to my home network which is Gigabit. Spotify won't play and I can't download from the PlayStore either. Just sits at download pending.... Restarted the Vline as well, not sure what else to do with this one.
So are you saying when VLine connect to your TMobile Sync-up HP, everything download and works fine on VLine. But when connected to your phone's Mobile HP, no download and music streaming will work? Sounds like your Mobile HP is the issue. Are you sure you are connected properly on Mobile HP (password is correct). Mobile HP uses your Cellular Data, it has nothing to do with your home network. Check WiFi setting on Vline to make sure you have a solid WiFi connection. I use Mobile HP too, sometimes it takes awhile for things to start downloading. Not sure if TMobile is throttling my connection or what. I have unlimited Grandfathered Family Plan, they should not be throttling my connection as I barely use 3-4GB per month. I noticed Pandora lately have been playing "Offline" alot more often. But that may be a different Pandora issue.
Old 05-31-19, 09:06 AM
maclem8223
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
So are you saying when VLine connect to your TMobile Sync-up HP, everything download and works fine on VLine. But when connected to your phone's Mobile HP, no download and music streaming will work? Sounds like your Mobile HP is the issue. Are you sure you are connected properly on Mobile HP (password is correct). Mobile HP uses your Cellular Data, it has nothing to do with your home network. Check WiFi setting on Vline to make sure you have a solid WiFi connection. I use Mobile HP too, sometimes it takes awhile for things to start downloading. Not sure if TMobile is throttling my connection or what. I have unlimited Grandfathered Family Plan, they should not be throttling my connection as I barely use 3-4GB per month. I noticed Pandora lately have been playing "Offline" alot more often. But that may be a different Pandora issue.
I'm thinking it is more the hotspot than anything. Solid signal and download speeds (considering distance from AP) from home network and descent from Hotspot on phone. Gonna have to do some more digging on the SyncUP as my LTE signal at home is great. No throttling here as well, grandfathered unlimited plan.
Old 05-31-19, 03:10 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

I just ordered mine, we will see how it goes.

I asked for a coupon code and they gave me one that got $30 off.

MEMORIAL2019

Give it a shot if you are ordering.

Steve
The following 2 users liked this post by HUSKERnKS:
Im2bz2p345 (06-01-19), jdpdata (05-31-19)
Old 06-01-19, 02:58 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Installed...

A couple issues so far.

1. Most of the time when switching to the VL2, the right side of my screen flickers. If I switch back and forth enough times, it will display as needed.
2. Added Carplay to the home screen, it won’t let me enable it.

Other than that, so far so good.

Steve
Old 06-01-19, 03:00 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Little picture of where I installed the USB extension.
Old 06-01-19, 05:07 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Fixed Carplay.

Still have the flickering and it won’t go full screen (I have a 17 GS). Reached out to Grom, we will see what they say.

I am on firmware 2.2.0.0
Old 06-03-19, 05:12 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts

I would check you cabling; see my earlier posts in this thread.
Old 06-03-19, 05:18 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

The cables all looked solid. Only flickers on the OEM side when the VLine is on. Lots of back and forth with Grom today with very little action yet. I will check the cables again.
Old 06-03-19, 05:39 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
The cables all looked solid. Only flickers on the OEM side when the VLine is on. Lots of back and forth with Grom today with very little action yet. I will check the cables again.
Flickering is probably due to poor shielding of the Grom cables. You could try to reroute harnesses away from any other OE cables. Mine flickers too on OEM side. I couldn't care less because I don't use that crappy OE interface anyways. Member @c2fordy5 also have a 2017 GS. Ask him how he got his to go full screen. I believe Grom sent him a fix for that issue.
Old 06-03-19, 06:04 PM
bob256k
Instructor

It's not because of "shielding"; your cable was probably made poorly or incorrectly. It may have been soldered wrong and there are wire whiskers causing a short, which gives you a flicker. That was the case with two cables I got from GROM ; I ended up fixing the issue myself as they apparently couldn't. I would call them and tell them to fix it. I fixed mine and I have never had a single case of flicker once I redid the existing cable I had with better workmanship.

This is ridiculous that this is still happening with new installs of this product @gromaudio
Old 06-03-19, 06:05 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Yeah, it could be, but not sure how else I could route them. I messaged c2fordy5, but haven’t heard back yet. Hopefully Grom can provide a fix.

Here is what my screen is doing (only with Vline engaged): ###REMOVED LINK###

Last edited by HUSKERnKS; 06-04-19 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-03-19, 06:06 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Also, switching it back and forth a few times and can get it to not flicker. Next time I reverse or have a screen change, it comes back. Off/On, off/on, it goes away again.
Old 06-03-19, 06:17 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bob256k
It's not because of "shielding"; your cable was probably made poorly or incorrectly. It may have been soldered wrong and there are wire whiskers causing a short, which gives you a flicker. That was the case with two cables I got from GROM ; I ended up fixing the issue myself as they apparently couldn't. I would call them and tell them to fix it. I fixed mine and I have never had a single case of flicker once I redid the existing cable I had with better workmanship.

This is ridiculous that this is still happening with new installs of this product @gromaudio
I will take a close look at the cables tomorrow and see if I see issues. If they don’t fix it, I will be returning it pronto. If they won’t take it back, AMEX will get my money back.
Old 06-03-19, 07:30 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Well thankfully that's no the flickering I had; that looks like a vl2 bug regarding the video processing on the vl2

Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed