GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-19, 12:26 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

I double checked the cables and they all look like "decent" connections. The screen does not always flicker. Switching back and forth (depending on which OEM screen) can make a difference.

No response from GROM in over 24 hours...
Old 06-04-19, 01:21 PM
yelloiroc
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
I double checked the cables and they all look like "decent" connections. The screen does not always flicker. Switching back and forth (depending on which OEM screen) can make a difference.

I've been waiting over two buisness days for a reply. There SLA does quote stating they will replay within one buisness day. My current issue is the map button no longer works to shortcut to the GPS. I checked the setting and tested with G.maps and Waze.

The other new problem is that WiFi and Bluetooth are both disabled every time I turn on the car. I have manually toggle both. No obvious settings for that other than airplane mode and that's off
Old 06-04-19, 01:26 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

You have to pound their support; i file a ticket under VL2 and then go in to the general support queue to followup. Even then, its more like a week, not 2 days.
Old 06-04-19, 03:26 PM
cflanary
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm pretty much fed up with the lack of response I've been getting.
Guess I'll just send it back.
I really had hoped this would be the solution we were all looking for.
Old 06-04-19, 03:28 PM
cflanary
Driver School Candidate

Exact same problem Husker is having on a 17 RX. No solution provided from GROM as of yet.
flickering and won't show full screen.
Old 06-04-19, 03:50 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by cflanary
I'm pretty much fed up with the lack of response I've been getting.
Guess I'll just send it back.
I really had hoped this would be the solution we were all looking for.

Have you guys file a ticket on their website: https://gromaudio.com/support.html or try the Online Chat on their website?
I've done this in the past and gotten reply within 24 hours. GROM is very good with support. I'm not sure why you two are getting the cold shoulder.

Note that GROM is currently testing Beta tesing VL2 on Acura, Honda, Nissan, Infiniti and some Toyota cars. I'm guessing most of their techs are busy with that process. Not an excuse for lack of response for you two. I'd suggest you keep trying to contact them and be patience.
Old 06-04-19, 04:00 PM
cflanary
Driver School Candidate

Have opened tickets and they are not responsive IMO.
They also don't realize us silly customers do not know the exacting way they want stuff sent to them...they basically only accept videos loaded to a google shared page and don't work over the phone.
Disappointing.
Old 06-04-19, 06:01 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Have you guys file a ticket on their website: https://gromaudio.com/support.html or try the Online Chat on their website?
I've done this in the past and gotten reply within 24 hours. GROM is very good with support. I'm not sure why you two are getting the cold shoulder.

Note that GROM is currently testing Beta tesing VL2 on Acura, Honda, Nissan, Infiniti and some Toyota cars. I'm guessing most of their techs are busy with that process. Not an excuse for lack of response for you two. I'd suggest you keep trying to contact them and be patience.
I will be patient for sure. However, since I only have 30 days for return, if they can’t be responsive, I will file for a return and go from there.

To be clear, when it is working, I love it. Hopefully they can make a version stable, then i will not mess with it and just use it. :-)

Steve
Old 06-05-19, 07:27 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Update...

this evening grom provided a firmware update that fixed the flash and also enabled full screen for both GROM interface and Apple Car Play. I will do more testing this week, but at first glance it is working.

With the beatsonic video posted, there could be some good competition emerging...

Steve
Old 06-05-19, 11:08 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Update...

this evening grom provided a firmware update that fixed the flash and also enabled full screen for both GROM interface and Apple Car Play. I will do more testing this week, but at first glance it is working.

With the beatsonic video posted, there could be some good competition emerging...

Steve
Glad they fixed your issues. So now you have no more flashing on OEM side at all? Mine still flash but very infrequently.

Beatsonic looks promising but they didn't demo steering wheel buttons .. Does it work? Didn't like that you have to route an external mic. Integration doesn't seems as nice as Vline. Nice option though for those who don't like GROM. Hope they polish it up better.
Old 06-06-19, 04:16 AM
cflanary
Driver School Candidate

I got a new firmware but can’t figure out how to get it to boot from usb. What’s the trick. I inserted it while on the vline GUI. I don’t really understand their directions since this stuff is not familiar to me.
Old 06-06-19, 07:00 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by cflanary
I got a new firmware but can’t figure out how to get it to boot from usb. What’s the trick. I inserted it while on the vline GUI. I don’t really understand their directions since this stuff is not familiar to me.
Turn off car. Yank main harness on back of Vline unit, insert your USB stick, replace harness back of unit. Start car, Vline should now boot from USB. Let us know us new firmware fixed your issues.
Old 06-06-19, 07:30 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Glad they fixed your issues. So now you have no more flashing on OEM side at all? Mine still flash but very infrequently.

Beatsonic looks promising but they didn't demo steering wheel buttons .. Does it work? Didn't like that you have to route an external mic. Integration doesn't seems as nice as Vline. Nice option though for those who don't like GROM. Hope they polish it up better.

Yes, no flashing at all (so far). I am a 2017, so here is what it looks like.

The following users liked this post:
c2fordy5 (06-06-19)
Old 06-06-19, 07:32 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Turn off car. Yank main harness on back of Vline unit, insert your USB stick, replace harness back of unit. Start car, Vline should now boot from USB. Let us know us new firmware fixed your issues.
It doesn't need to boot from USB. For this update, the VLINE had to be fully loaded and on. Insert the USB, it picks up the firmware, you select Yes. It flashes, goes black. Wait 10 seconds. Turn off car for 10 seconds. Restart car. Updated.
Old 06-06-19, 08:22 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

It doesn't need to boot from USB. For this update, the VLINE had to be fully loaded and on. Insert the USB, it picks up the firmware, you select Yes. It flashes, goes black. Wait 10 seconds. Turn off car for 10 seconds. Restart car. Updated.
Yes, no flashing at all (so far). I am a 2017, so here is what it looks like.

Update might not be recognized in VLine interface, it didn't work for me this way neither. So you may have to do the hard reboot to force Vline to boot from USB as describe in my previous post.
That's great no more flashing. So this confirms it's a software issue that can be fixed. Some insists this was a bad harness issue. Though I don't care much about it because I'm never on OEM side anymore. Vline looks so damn sexy widescreen on 2016+ GS.

Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed