GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-19, 10:08 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by YaMomma
There quality control is garbage, we may not have a lot of options now but I'm hoping at some point the company listed below makes a screen for the GS.

https://youtu.be/lP6OnePHa2I

I'm pretty sure the IS in the video doesn't come with full screen support from Lexus. At the end of the day that's what i want, full screen support without trading my 14 in for a 16+.

https://4x4shop.ca/product/2014-2017...creen-android/
Something like this would seem the best option. Hope they make one for the GS.
Old 07-16-19, 09:12 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by yelloiroc
Something tells me the Map button is never getting fixed.

Excerpt from my chat conversation with their support team.

Ken

1:59 PM

Hi, Sorry...I just talked to another tech that know's of your ticket and he's following up with the developer regarding the "map" button.

Chris

2:00 PM

That issue seems to be widespread so it's a lil shocking that someone is now "following up" 8 weeks after the ticket was submitted. What about the WiFi / Bluetooth issue?
That’s a ton to pay for endless problems. At least keeping things stock and outdated is less painful, due to far lower expectations. This is something Lexus needs to step up and fix. If they can offer Car Play on the newer models and forfeit the profits of their useless map updates, then they can write Car Play support into one of their updates.

It sure was easy plucking useful apps from the interface. Now with those gone, so have my future loyalties to Lexus.

Lexus - FIX THIS!
Old 07-20-19, 11:33 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Found an interesting and dangerous feature today while checking to see if they finally fixed the map button issue. If you click on the Vline version 7 times it gives you access to beta updates. Interestingly enough the beta version fixed the map button issue and WiFi and Bluetooth seems to turn on faster after the system boots. I probably should have left it alone at that point but I got greedy. When you check for an update there are always two listed. I don't remember what each one says but the top one fixed the map button, the bottom one bricked the unit. To make things worse when the GROM unit is jacked up it locks you into that stupid black screen. Normally you can disconnect the main connector or I personally prefer to disconnect the negative battery cable to reset the unit. In this case neither worked, the unit takes control of the navigation display when the car starts and I'm permanently stuck at the black screen of death. Or it could be since the unit is bricked it can't pass the factory display to the screen. I know there is nothing wrong with the head unit because when you disconnect the main connector the factory display is shown for a couple of seconds and then it goes back to the black screen of death. Everything on the right side of the screen still works but that's about it. I guess ill have to pull the unit because its a paperweight at this point. Good news is I've had it less than a year so I'm still under warranty. I'll let you know how a make out with GROM's customer service.
Old 07-21-19, 06:54 AM
yelloiroc
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a similar issue. They had a be much a sequence of buttons to get into a boot mode.

Please perform a Factory Reset by entering in the Recovery Mode.

To enter into recovery, do the following sequence:

1. Press and hold NEXT TRACK on steering wheel controls
2. While still holding, Press MENU on joystick 8 times until VLine reboots

The Display should Blank out if there was something shown, then to static VLINE logo
and then eventually boot into the Recovery Mode. Give it a couple of seconds for this to happen.

Once you are in this recovery, select the "Factory reset"
The system will factory restore
Then select "Reboot System"
(Do not play with any of the other settings in this recovery menu.)

This got me back to some level of functionality.

Good luck with Grom support their SLA is pretty high and they are certainly not winning any customer support awards. Ive had a ticket open with them for 3 months. For a WiFi issue.
Old 07-21-19, 01:26 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Thanks for the info, the sequence of buttons didn't work for me. I think the problem is the unit turns off a second after it turns on. When its on there is a green light, when i disconnect the main connector and plug it back in i see the green light and the factory display is shown. About a second later the green light goes off and i get a black screen.
Old 07-22-19, 06:19 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Sweet baby Jesus Grom fixed it, they sent me a file with some basic instructions. I plugged in a USB stick with the file and everything came back to life!! Didn't loose any of my data I'm still on the beta version with improved WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity plus my map button works!! So try the beta version at your own risk and if messes up the unit they can probably bring it back to life.
The following users liked this post:
ChronoR (07-22-19)
Old 07-22-19, 06:49 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts

Nice good to hear!!

In other news look what I installed on the VL2

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0mI4...se_&_Los_Gatos
Old 07-22-19, 07:41 PM
YaMomma
Driver

LOL I love it, I have a xbox 360 that's sitting in a box collecting dust ever since xbox one came out, I may try the same thing.
Old 07-22-19, 11:27 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts

Snes9x ex+ works fine on the VL2 , you do have to disable the mouse as a game input so you don't exit out the game. Once I did that and selected the Xbox 360 USB controller as the player 1 everything worked fine.
Old 07-23-19, 09:05 AM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Ahaha, that's amazing. I've always thought that big screen was just asking to be used. Hopefully you guys find a good firmware that just works and then you can just leave it alone.

BTW, is it possible to downgrade firmwares? I'd be tempted to save a known good one to go back to.
Old 07-25-19, 08:51 AM
maclem8223
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by YaMomma
Sweet baby Jesus Grom fixed it, they sent me a file with some basic instructions. I plugged in a USB stick with the file and everything came back to life!! Didn't loose any of my data I'm still on the beta version with improved WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity plus my map button works!! So try the beta version at your own risk and if messes up the unit they can probably bring it back to life.
Id uninstall the Beta updates. Last Beta I installed worked fine for a day or two then christmas lights all over the dash. Gromm told me never to install the Beta updates. Just my .02
Old 07-25-19, 09:20 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

You guys are crazy for installing Beta. You're lucky you don't have a worthless brick and Grom was able to revive it. Never ever mess with Beta.. it's Beta for a reason. Map button issue will be fix soon.. be patient. Is it that big of a deal to press an extra couple buttons to get Map?
c2fordy5 (07-25-19)
Old 07-25-19, 09:43 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
You guys are crazy for installing Beta. You're lucky you don't have a worthless brick and Grom was able to revive it. Never ever mess with Beta.. it's Beta for a reason. Map button issue will be fix soon.. be patient. Is it that big of a deal to press an extra couple buttons to get Map?
I agree! When you use a Beta version of anything you are being used as a guinea pig for testing. You had better be willing to have your (whatever the device is) become 'bricked' and possibly destroyed and unrepairable. You should also be willing to spend a lot of time troubleshooting, communicating, offering help to, and seeking help from, those people that have made the Beta version available. Unless you are an bona fide expert with the time and skills to help the people who made the Beta version it is best to stay clear of a Beta version. Sadly, some Beta 'designers' (for lack of a better name to call them) will intentionally use people to learn what problems their Beta version will cause with no concern (and oftentimes no help) for the people that it affects.
jdpdata (07-25-19)
Old 07-25-19, 02:27 PM
maclem8223
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Originally Posted by bclexus
I agree! When you use a Beta version of anything you are being used as a guinea pig for testing. You had better be willing to have your (whatever the device is) become 'bricked' and possibly destroyed and unrepairable. You should also be willing to spend a lot of time troubleshooting, communicating, offering help to, and seeking help from, those people that have made the Beta version available. Unless you are an bona fide expert with the time and skills to help the people who made the Beta version it is best to stay clear of a Beta version. Sadly, some Beta 'designers' (for lack of a better name to call them) will intentionally use people to learn what problems their Beta version will cause with no concern (and oftentimes no help) for the people that it affects.
Agreed...kinda why I said it and uninstalled it.
Old 07-26-19, 04:42 AM
YaMomma
Driver

To each is own, I have a computer science degree with a background in programing. I use beta versions of software and apps on my cell phone, personal computers and NAS without any issues. Alpha releases can cause a lot of problems but Beta is in the final stage and normally stable. The Vline update isn't the problem its the Firmware update which is why I didn't at first and shouldn't have updated the Firmware. I won't get into the difference between the two but I knew I playing with fire when I did it. There is ALWAYS a way to restore a previous software version or OS, you may loose all of your data but at the end of the day its nothing more than a program. Unless the program is overclocking the device then you aren't going to damage the hardware. If the hardware isn't damaged then all you have to do is reinstall new software. Therefore all you really have to know is how to get into the Recovery System or Boot Loader.

I like to use the latest and greatest, it's very rare that a true beta version will brick a device, it may do strange things but it shouldn't destroy the hardware on your device. In turn you get to see what the software developer is working on and get access to advanced features. For example they are working on dimming the screen at night like the factory display. It doesn't work very well at this point, sometimes it works other times it doesn't but its not causing any instability issues. Map button hasn't worked for months and grom keeps promising an update that they already have but they aren't releasing it.

Beta versions defiantly aren't for everyone but I'll never go back, its not like the device is completely stable with the official release. In reality we are all beta users, GROM releases BS updates that they haven't fully tested and wait for the user to call in and file a ticket.
The following 2 users liked this post by YaMomma:
maclem8223 (07-26-19), yelloiroc (07-28-19)

Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed