GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-19, 11:58 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
That's weird. All 3 of us BSOD on same day!?

Yep. Mine just freezes and the screen turns black, usually on startup of the car.
Old 08-16-19, 12:13 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Definitely weird. Feels like a silent software push to the unit.
Old 08-21-19, 09:36 AM
Lexus4lyf
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
Updated to 2.6 today. All is well and map button works again.
I lost my picture-in-picture ability for Netflix.

YouTube still works just fine from the home screen.

Anyone else?

I wish we could choose which apps could change view to picture-in-picture.. not all of them have permissions options.
Old 08-23-19, 07:24 PM
Elbandito
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey all, first time Lexus owner. Recently acquired a 2014 GS350 F Sport (ML Soundsystem). Love the car and decided to treat myself to a GROM VL2. So far... I have to say my experience with GROM has not been great. Waiting on the delivery of my (second) replacement wiring harness. I'm getting bad flickering on the native Lexus screen, but the picture works fine with no flickering issues at all on the GROM side.

Aside from the harness issues... Does anyone else with the GROM VL2 installed think the audio quality sounds really poor? I've tried with both Spotify and Pandora and there is a night and day difference in audio quality between this and when I stream directly from my phone VIA Bluetooth. Is there an Advanced EQ setting I'm missing somewhere? Music quality is set to high in Spotify, and Normalize has been disabled. Can't seem to find the option in the Spotify app where you can adjust the Advanced EQ settings, not in the same menu dropdown as my Galaxy S9.
Old 08-23-19, 11:56 PM
medsaver
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Got the BSOD 2 days ago. Did a hard reset, seemed ok. Today, it's in a boot loop. I'm on a really old firmware version (1.4). I just started a road trip so it would be nice if it worked. I put a support request in with Grom, but would anyone here be able to host a recent firmware so I could get back up and running before they get back to me on Monday? I have a 2015. Thanks.
Old 08-25-19, 01:44 PM
yelloiroc
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a similar issue. GROM support had a be much a sequence of buttons to get into a boot mode.

Please perform a Factory Reset by entering in the Recovery Mode.

To enter into recovery, do the following sequence:

1. Press and hold NEXT TRACK on steering wheel controls
2. While still holding, Press MENU on joystick 8 times until VLine reboots

The Display should Blank out if there was something shown, then to static VLINE logo
and then eventually boot into the Recovery Mode. Give it a couple of seconds for this to happen.

Once you are in this recovery, select the "Factory reset"
The system will factory restore
Then select "Reboot System"
(Do not play with any of the other settings in this recovery menu.)

This got me back to some level of functionality.
Old 08-25-19, 05:40 PM
medsaver
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks. This allowed me to get back baseline functionality. I had to enter Recovery Mode several times because the cursor disappears in this mode so you have to kind of guess and press to get the right option. Hopefully this doesn't happen too often because Factory Reset erases everything.
Old 08-25-19, 10:49 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by medsaver
Thanks. This allowed me to get back baseline functionality. I had to enter Recovery Mode several times because the cursor disappears in this mode so you have to kind of guess and press to get the right option. Hopefully this doesn't happen too often because Factory Reset erases everything.
If you plug in a USB mouse or in my case I have a mini wireless keyboard that connects via USB with a trackpad it makes navigating recovery mode a lot easier.
Old 08-26-19, 05:42 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

I got a black screen again today. Luckily unplugging everything fixed it.

Also update to 2.7.0.0.
Old 09-01-19, 10:21 PM
RAWRX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone try this along with the Lsailt Android box. If so, if you can provide a comparison that would be appreciated.
Old 09-02-19, 12:00 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RAWRX
Anyone try this along with the Lsailt Android box. If so, if you can provide a comparison that would be appreciated.
I highly doubt you are going to find anyone that has used both systems. Most people didn't know Grom existed, I found it by mistake when i was looking for navigation alternatives after Lexus took away Pandora. Started with Beat-Sonic which works great for what it does an then migrated to Grom. I did a fair amount of searching and never saw anything about Lsailt even though they have videos dating back to at least 2017.

From a spec's perspective Grom has a faster processor with a Cortex-A17 MCU 1.8GHz vs Lsailt's Cortex-A7 which is 1.2 - 1.6GHz. I'm not a processor expert and didn't do a ton of research on the differences. It appears the A17 is based on the A7 and with the exception of processing power there isn't a huge differences between the two.

Here are the deal breakers for me, Lsailt's website says it has a safe driving feature that shuts off video while driving. That's a problem since I spend 90% of my time playing music video's thru YouTube Music. Granted I'm not truly watching the video while driving but its good entertainment for my wife or anyone else that's in the car. Other issue is the Android version, Lsailt is 6.0 vs Grom's 8.1.

Lsailt's website is also a little suspect, my antivirus blocks a few of their links stating it has a malicious tech support popup which may be fraud. I spend a lot of time on the internet and go to a variety of sites some of which I know are suspect and never seen that error before from my antivirus.

For any 2013-2015 users out there, Lsailt can't make the display full screen either

Last but not least Grom is in CA, if you have a problem you can yell at them in person!!

Someone installed one in the IS forum....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-we-go-3.html

Last edited by YaMomma; 09-02-19 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-02-19, 09:12 PM
RAWRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by YaMomma
I highly doubt you are going to find anyone that has used both systems. Most people didn't know Grom existed, I found it by mistake when i was looking for navigation alternatives after Lexus took away Pandora. Started with Beat-Sonic which works great for what it does an then migrated to Grom. I did a fair amount of searching and never saw anything about Lsailt even though they have videos dating back to at least 2017.

From a spec's perspective Grom has a faster processor with a Cortex-A17 MCU 1.8GHz vs Lsailt's Cortex-A7 which is 1.2 - 1.6GHz. I'm not a processor expert and didn't do a ton of research on the differences. It appears the A17 is based on the A7 and with the exception of processing power there isn't a huge differences between the two.

Here are the deal breakers for me, Lsailt's website says it has a safe driving feature that shuts off video while driving. That's a problem since I spend 90% of my time playing music video's thru YouTube Music. Granted I'm not truly watching the video while driving but its good entertainment for my wife or anyone else that's in the car. Other issue is the Android version, Lsailt is 6.0 vs Grom's 8.1.

Lsailt's website is also a little suspect, my antivirus blocks a few of their links stating it has a malicious tech support popup which may be fraud. I spend a lot of time on the internet and go to a variety of sites some of which I know are suspect and never seen that error before from my antivirus.

For any 2013-2015 users out there, Lsailt can't make the display full screen either

Last but not least Grom is in CA, if you have a problem you can yell at them in person!!

Someone installed one in the IS forum....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-we-go-3.html
Thanks for the input. Definitely learned something new from it. For some reason I thought the Lsailt processor was better because it was 6 cores instead of 4 but didn't realize it was 1.2ghz vs 1.8. I'm not a processor expert either.

I'm definitely surprised that a Chinese company would force a safety mode while a us company does not. That's interesting because you would normally think it would be vice versa. Good to know.

I believe Lsailt is currently at 7.1 but Grom still has a leg up with 8.1.

Grom initially was a no brainier for me since it's local but I saw a couple of YouTube clips of a buggy screen. With zero experience with these products it's really hard to tell which is a better buy.
Old 09-03-19, 02:14 PM
RAWRX
Rookie

Anyone know if the Android geekbench app works?

If so, do you think you can send me a screenshot of the results of how well this unit is performing?

I don't plan to run any intensive Apps but would be curious to know the results.

Thanks!

Old 09-03-19, 04:13 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by RAWRX
Anyone know if the Android geekbench app works?

If so, do you think you can send me a screenshot of the results of how well this unit is performing?

I don't plan to run any intensive Apps but would be curious to know the results.

Thanks!
I installed the following apps on mine. Never experience any lags and performance issues. Benchmark apps are meaningless, don't know why people care so much about them. VL2 comes with 16GB on-board storage and 3GB RAM. Everything load as fast if not faster than OE interface. I supposed if you install a bunch of useless apps it may slow to a crawl. But I have well over 8GB left, don't really need anything else in the car environment.

-Maps, Waze
-Pandora, iHeartRadio, Spotify
-Netflix, YouTube, Plex

PS stay away from LSailt. POS chinese crap.
Old 09-03-19, 06:05 PM
RAWRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by jdpdata
I installed the following apps on mine. Never experience any lags and performance issues. Benchmark apps are meaningless, don't know why people care so much about them. VL2 comes with 16GB on-board storage and 3GB RAM. Everything load as fast if not faster than OE interface. I supposed if you install a bunch of useless apps it may slow to a crawl. But I have well over 8GB left, don't really need anything else in the car environment.

-Maps, Waze
-Pandora, iHeartRadio, Spotify
-Netflix, YouTube, Plex

PS stay away from LSailt. POS chinese crap.
Nothing to put a lot of weight on but just another data point with the benchmarks. In the end it's all about the user experience. Not to concerned about useless apps. More interested future os updates.

Not the biggest fan of Chinese support either but they have wireless car play.

Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed