GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-19, 06:59 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
PS stay away from LSailt. POS chinese crap.
The same 8-year old in China built the Grom unit. Did you really think Grom was made in the US?
Old 09-04-19, 08:26 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
The same 8-year old in China built the Grom unit. Did you really think Grom was made in the US?
I was referring to overseas support with Lsailt is iffy at best. At least with GROM you have English speaking techs.
Old 09-04-19, 08:39 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by RAWRX
Nothing to put a lot of weight on but just another data point with the benchmarks. In the end it's all about the user experience. Not to concerned about useless apps. More interested future os updates.

Not the biggest fan of Chinese support either but they have wireless car play.
GROM is very good with updates. I get regular update once per week if not more often. They seems to quickly fix most bugs. Most guys running VL2 like it even though it does have some quirks (none are deal breakers IMO). There are some haters of GROM on this forum, just ignore them, they offer nothing useful to this subject. Read thru the thread, lots of useful info. IMO, VL2 is the only unit of its kind to consider right now. Beat-Sonic is working on a similiar unit, but it's not ready yet. From demo videos I saw, it seems to be limited in functions as far as OE integration. Hopefully they can get it to function more like VL2 once released. More competition is good for us.

Last edited by jdpdata; 09-04-19 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-06-19, 12:28 AM
slvrcrz
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

how are the Glom vl2 running for you guys, had some spare change to spend on car mods, thinking this might be the first one to do. Is it worth according to you guys ?
Old 09-06-19, 04:11 AM
xvimalx
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by slvrcrz
how are the Glom vl2 running for you guys, had some spare change to spend on car mods, thinking this might be the first one to do. Is it worth according to you guys ?
Works great. Few issues for a mod of this type
But nothing offputting. I love my GROM and use it mainly for CarPlay. Just be sure to install in a place where you can easily reset the system. It's the best mod I've done yet.
Old 09-06-19, 06:21 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Works great for me as well. A few quirky issues.

Even as an Apple guy, I prefer the Android interface for this application. It is more open. They have even modeled the home screen so it looks a bit like CarPlay.

Worth it.
Old 09-06-19, 08:57 AM
RAWRX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xvimalx
Works great. Few issues for a mod of this type
But nothing offputting. I love my GROM and use it mainly for CarPlay. Just be sure to install in a place where you can easily reset the system. It's the best mod I've done yet.
How often do you reset the system?

Last edited by RAWRX; 09-06-19 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-06-19, 08:58 AM
RAWRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
Works great for me as well. A few quirky issues.

Even as an Apple guy, I prefer the Android interface for this application. It is more open. They have even modeled the home screen so it looks a bit like CarPlay.

Worth it.
What kind of quirky issues do you run into?
Old 09-06-19, 10:09 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by RAWRX
What kind of quirky issues do you run into?
Black Screen of Death (BSOD) happens very infrequently for most of us. Once every 3-4 months for me. When this happen, only thing you can do is yank wiring harness on back of VL2 unit to force a hard reboot. A couple people here are trying to wiring in a hard reset button so we don't have to yank on the harness, but I haven't seen any How-To yet. Occasionally GROM will break some features when they release a new update (i.e.Maps button wasn't working). They fixed that pretty quickly. Like i said, most of these quirks are not a deal breaker for me. I like the unit very much especially now that Android Auto is working as advertised. I did notice Voice Prompt is funky, cuts off beginning of the commands. Hope they fix this soon.
Old 09-09-19, 01:02 PM
yelloiroc
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My unit gets stuck in a boot loop every 2-3 months. When this happens you have to FR the whole unit and setup from scratch. It's less than ideal.
Old 09-09-19, 01:08 PM
medsaver
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had the boot loop happen once in 7 months, but yeah it is a pain in the butt.
Old 09-13-19, 06:18 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Ok guys, the race is on. Beatsonic has released the CarPlay/Android Auto box. I was lucky enough to get an invite to purchase one of the few they received.

I am going to take the plunge, purchase it, test it, and report back to the group. It should be shipped out today, so hopefully by next weekend, I can let you guys know what I think.

They state that it will use the entire 12.3 inch screen for my 2017 and that the phone calls will be 100% equal in quality to the OEM system. We shall see.

Last edited by HUSKERnKS; 09-13-19 at 06:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (09-13-19)
Old 09-13-19, 07:21 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 367 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
Ok guys, the race is on. Beatsonic has released the CarPlay/Android Auto box. I was lucky enough to get an invite to purchase one of the few they received.

I am going to take the plunge, purchase it, test it, and report back to the group. It should be shipped out today, so hopefully by next weekend, I can let you guys know what I think.

They state that it will use the entire 12.3 inch screen for my 2017 and that the phone calls will be 100% equal in quality to the OEM system. We shall see.
Demo video:

According to the comments, the steering wheel track/seek buttons don't work, which is...uninspiring.

Last edited by jonathancl; 09-13-19 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-13-19, 07:30 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Yeah, it's a downside. I will test it out and let you know.
Old 09-13-19, 08:19 AM
RAWRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Demo video:
Here's a demo video from earlier this summer.

According to the comments, the steering wheel track/seek buttons don't work, which is...uninspiring.
Does this have Android as well or is it only Apple car play and Android auto. If the latter, it doesn't seem like a direct, one for one, competitor against the vl2 and Lsailt unless it is at a much lower price point.

Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed