GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-19, 09:06 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

It has Android Auto as well. What it doesn't have is direct Android (meaning phone required).
Old 09-13-19, 09:53 AM
RAWRX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
It has Android Auto as well. What it doesn't have is direct Android (meaning phone required).
I see. I think for the majority people that's all that's really needed for a driving solution. However, to play devil's advocate, with direct Android, I can see people doing the following without a phone:
1. Storing movies/shows (caching Netflix) for passengers, during long road trips.
2. Pulling dashcam SD cards to play recorded accidents.
3. Diagnosing your car with the torquepro app and an obd2 adapter.
4. Storing and playing flac audio files for the 1% that are OCD about audio quality.
Aside from that, if you already have a hot spot then you also have a fully functional tablet in your car. In the end, only for the right price I can see a market for the Beat Sonic unless there are other features that it has that I'm not aware of.
Old 09-13-19, 01:19 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

All fair and valid benefits of direct Android. I guess my hope is for a more stable “integrated” device. We shall see. I still like the GROM and may stick with it.
Old 09-16-19, 08:18 PM
c2fordy5
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

So I asked GROM Audio what the Factory Climate Control with the checkbox in settings was for and they sent me firmware version 23 as a file (Not available OTA yet). After installing it, I’m able to see climate info when I adjust the temperature. That’s good news for us with the full 12.3 display option. I’m happy to share it for those of you who would like to try it. I was hesitant to do it fearing that it would brick the unit but it worked like a charm!

Here’s a 20 sec video to show you how it works...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19za...w?usp=drivesdk

Last edited by c2fordy5; 09-17-19 at 05:36 AM.
Old 09-17-19, 07:31 AM
Lexus4lyf
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c2fordy5
So I asked GROM Audio what the Factory Climate Control with the checkbox in settings was for and they sent me firmware version 23 as a file (Not available OTA yet). After installing it, I’m able to see climate info when I adjust the temperature. That’s good news for us with the full 12.3 display option. I’m happy to share it for those of you who would like to try it. I was hesitant to do it fearing that it would brick the unit but it worked like a charm!

Honestly, props to GROM for trying but that is no where near as nicely integrated as the IS guys have on their units. There's a picture in this thread when the temp change is overlayed while Android is running.

It's a nice work around but the constant flickering back and forth would annoy me.

edit: also, thanks for the video! I would've flashed the firmware now and regretted it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lexus4lyf:
c2fordy5 (09-17-19), jonathancl (09-17-19)
Old 09-17-19, 08:41 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Still no volume overlay, c'on @gromaudio

In other news, I got another BSOD this morning..sigh
Old 09-17-19, 08:50 AM
Elbandito
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

What launcher app are you using in your video?
Old 09-17-19, 09:34 AM
c2fordy5
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus4lyf
Honestly, props to GROM for trying but that is no where near as nicely integrated as the IS guys have on their units. There's a picture in this thread when the temp change is overlayed while Android is running.

It's a nice work around but the constant flickering back and forth would annoy me.

edit: also, thanks for the video! I would've flashed the firmware now and regretted it.
I hear you on that but I give them credit for working on it. Maybe they'll fine-tune it in the near future. Do you happen to have the link you've mentioned for the IS guys? I'd like to see what it looks like. I also asked them about volume overlay and they said they are working on it as well but it's a little bit more complicated. So we'll see
Old 09-17-19, 09:38 AM
c2fordy5
Driver

Originally Posted by Elbandito
What launcher app are you using in your video?
That's CarPlay in iOS 13. I've been using the beta. By Friday, you'll be able to do the same once you update. CarPlay is pretty neat in iOS 13. It operates independently from the phone. Hence why I was able to shoot that video with my phone while CarPlay was running.
Old 09-17-19, 10:54 AM
Lexus4lyf
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hear you on that but I give them credit for working on it. Maybe they'll fine-tune it in the near future. Do you happen to have the link you've mentioned for the IS guys? I'd like to see what it looks like. I also asked them about volume overlay and they said they are working on it as well but it's a little bit more complicated. So we'll see
Seems as if I may have misread about the overlay.

I was mentioning post#152 &#157 on this thread, page 11.

They refer to a YouTube video that shows volume overlay. My confusion happened with the picture in the post. I thought the picture showed the overlay over the vline software but it's actually just Lexus OEM.

I'll try to find the video in question.
Old 09-17-19, 01:01 PM
c2fordy5
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus4lyf
Seems as if I may have misread about the overlay.

I was mentioning post#152 on this thread, page 11.

They refer to a YouTube video that shows volume overlay. My confusion happened with the picture in the post. I thought the picture showed the overlay over the vline software but it's actually just Lexus OEM.

I'll try to find the video in question.

Ahhh... those posts were from me showing pictures of my car's OEM overlay functions that I sent to GROM Audio at the time just to show them an example of what they could've worked on. I also sent them a video (post #436 on this thread at timestamp 6:20) of what beat sonic was able to do for volume and climate control display and they eventually yielded to this. I know it's not perfect for now but it's promising IMO

Last edited by c2fordy5; 09-17-19 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-17-19, 01:34 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

I got version 23 firmware as well and noticed the climate controls update as well. That is a nice add.
Old 09-17-19, 01:40 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

One issue I want to check with you guys on. If I am on the GROM interface and I hit the button to switch to the factory phone there is horrible engine noise through the speakers (likely a grounding issue). Are you all experiencing the same thing?

If I switch out of GROM by hitting the media button, it is perfectly fine.

Another example is if I start the car and immediately drive, if GROM hasn't launched yet, and I didn't switch out before shutting off the car, I hear the engine noise until the GROM boots.

Thoughts?

Steve
Old 09-20-19, 06:41 PM
xvimalx
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

iOS13 CarPlay update looks amazing on the GROM. I'm very pleased. Hope everyone else is enjoying the new update!
Old 09-23-19, 07:23 AM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 563 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
Something like this would seem the best option. Hope they make one for the GS.
They have for the GS. Downside is that it is 100% touch only, so it would be a PITA reaching.

Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed