GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-20, 01:47 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

@enricoclau glad GROM is working with you to fix your issues. You are the odd-ball here as none of us have these issues with our LEX89 Lexus Infotainment. Didn't I warned ya you'll have lots of issues with LEX6
Old 02-19-20, 02:01 PM
enricoclau
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the problem is LEX6 was released almost at the end of 2019 for my particular model (2012 Lexus CT200h). Also the CT200h wasn't sold like hot cakes so at this point I think I'm the first one to put a VL2 in a 2012 Lexus CT200h. If I get USB Audio settings working with UI Shortcut, that would make things easier for me and give me confidence that the other bugs can be sorted out. CarPlay is working at 95%. Sometimes I get a black screen but is not a big deal as switching to Factory MENU and back to VLine fix the issue. Nothing like you guys at the beginning that had to pull over to disconnect the VLine power to restore functionality or ignition OFF and ON. Also asked Dmitry to see if it's possible to add overlay volume functionality like you guys have and also some sort of display Brightness and Contrast controls when in VLine mode. My screen looks a bit washed out and factory display Brightness and Contrast functions don't work on VLine mode.
Old 02-19-20, 02:19 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

@enricoclau We don't have volume overlay for our 4Gen GS. GROM said this was not possible due to some limitation with LEX89 Infotainment. I have been using the volume **** on the radio to change volume as the steering wheel button doesn't provide any visual feedback. They did however got a work around for Climate Change overlay. Basically they flash the screen back to OEM interface every time a Climate Change was made. It's annoying as hell, so I've turned off that feature. As far as screen brightness and contrast that will be a limitation of your CT screen, I don't think GROM can do anything about it. This was them same complaints I've read in ISF forum-same LEX6 Infotainment. We have the bigger 12.3" LCD that's way brighter and sharper than LEX6 screen. Well, if you're happy with the function that you do get to work, then I guess that's OK. You could always return it before your 30 days is up and try Carlink or LSailt...those systems may work better for you assuming they have made it compatible with your CT.
Old 02-19-20, 02:31 PM
enricoclau
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm OK with I have right now as CarPlay is working OK and that is all I need. I don't care about anything else. To the point that I have not installed the VLine GPS because CarPlay uses the iPhone GPS instead and with my iPhone and CarPlay I have Waze and Google Maps which are my two navigation apps. Regarding streaming's music service, I only use TIDAL and TIDAL is also available with CarPlay and it works perfectly.
The following users liked this post:
jdpdata (02-19-20)
Old 02-19-20, 02:44 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by enricoclau
I'm OK with I have right now as CarPlay is working OK and that is all I need. I don't care about anything else. To the point that I have not installed the VLine GPS because CarPlay uses the iPhone GPS instead and with my iPhone and CarPlay I have Waze and Google Maps which are my two navigation apps. Regarding streaming's music service, I only use TIDAL and TIDAL is also available with CarPlay and it works perfectly.

That screen actually doesn't look bad. IS/ISF LEX6 screen is way worst. You may want to make a VL2 thread on CT forum so that someone else can benefit from your progress with GROM. You're of course always welcome to hang here with us.
enricoclau (02-19-20)
Old 02-20-20, 02:29 AM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Basically they flash the screen back to OEM interface every time a Climate Change was made. It's annoying as hell, so I've turned off that feature.
Wait... how and where do you do this??
Old 02-20-20, 07:21 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

It's under DashlinQ > Settings > uncheck Factory Climate Control.

I also see Mic gain under there. So those of you that have low mic sensitivity, try raising the gain here.

The following 2 users liked this post by jdpdata:
greys0uled (01-10-22), OUT FOX EM (02-20-20)
Old 02-20-20, 09:08 AM
PlPete
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Has anyone had the issue of Vline defaulting to the OEM Aux screen when it first turns on? Typically, when I start the car, I'll see the black screen with Vline logo booting up. Next it changes to Aux oem screen and it stays there. For some reason when I go into reverse and the camera comes on and then get back into drive, Vline runs as normal. This is pretty odd and not sure how to fix it. Basically, I either need to cycle through reverse gear or Media button to get back into Vline. This only happens when I first turn the car on.
yelloiroc (02-22-20)
Old 02-20-20, 01:26 PM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by PlPete
Has anyone had the issue of Vline defaulting to the OEM Aux screen when it first turns on? Typically, when I start the car, I'll see the black screen with Vline logo booting up. Next it changes to Aux oem screen and it stays there. For some reason when I go into reverse and the camera comes on and then get back into drive, Vline runs as normal. This is pretty odd and not sure how to fix it. Basically, I either need to cycle through reverse gear or Media button to get back into Vline. This only happens when I first turn the car on.
This will happen to me sometimes. Literally all I have to do is move the mouse/joystick thing and it goes back to the VLine screen. Not sure if that will work for you but maybe try contacting their support if not.
Old 02-21-20, 01:23 AM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PlPete
Does it happen every time you start your car or only sometimes? Mine used to do that once or twice a week. GROM provided an update a few months ago that made it do that every single time I started the car. It was a little irritating but since it wasn't hard to access the interface I didn't stress over it. I continued to check for updates waiting for a fix until about 45 days ago when they released a software and firmware update. Their firmware updates are sketchy and don't come out often so I performed the software update first but it didn't seem to do anything considering I was still kicked to the OEM screen after GROM booted. Therefore the next day I updated my firmware which disabled GPS, it didn't matter what map app I used nothing could connect to GPS. I gave it a few days and another software update was released but it didn't fix the GPS issue. Therefore I switched to beta updates which fixed my GPS and now GROM boots up normal. The only thing that doesn't work is the ability to disable onscreen AC display. The option is there and its not clicked however if I change the temperature it performs as if onscreen is enabled. Besides that everything is working perfect and it hasn't kicked me out to the OEM display in close to 30 days so switching to beta could resolve your issue. You also may want to play with the onscreen ac display option because I'm pretty sure the two are related. When I think about it, the issue of it doing that sometimes didn't start until after GROM released the updated that enabled onscreen display.

I will no longer update GROM's system because 50% of the time it breaks something that worked perfect before. This is the 2nd time I've switched to beta to fix an issue with their production release. I love the unit however their quality control related to software releases is suspect at best. I'm sure a future production release will fix your issue however who knows how long it will take. When they jacked up the map button with a software/firmware update it was months before a production release fixed the issue even though it worked in beta.
Old 02-21-20, 07:33 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

PlPete, OUT, YaMomma, you guys have 2013-2014 GS right? This issue have never occur on my 2015. Must be something different with our radios. I know 2015 had some revisions to software. Well, hope GROM will fix it. Doesn't seems like a huge bug though and easy enough to work around.
Old 02-21-20, 08:37 AM
PlPete
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes, it happens every time I start the car so it's not an intermittent issue. I agree it's not a huge deal but annoyance. Luckily I always need to back out of my driveway so I always end up back in Grom but it does get a bit annoying in all other situations.

I'll give the AS controls thing a try - thanks! I'm always a bit skeptical about beta updates as they have a potential for bricking the unit being beta. Kind of funny that beta updates seem to be more stable though! How do you access them?

And yes, I'm in a 2014 with ML although don't think that part matters much. Certainly hope they fix this and for the love of God please issue release notes!!! It's a best practice and standard in the software industry.
Old 02-21-20, 10:33 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

There is definitely something different about 2013/2014 vs 2015 radios. You guys with the older radios seems to experience more bugs than I do. Mine has worked flawlessly since day one with exception of an occasionally BSOD every few months (3 so far in 1 year). Maybe GROM used 2015 radio as a base for their software hack. Something inherently different in the software is causing the minor hiccups with older models.
Old 02-21-20, 10:40 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
There is definitely something different about 2013/2014 vs 2015 radios. You guys with the older radios seems to experience more bugs than I do. Mine has worked flawlessly since day one with exception of an occasionally BSOD every few months (3 so far in 1 year). Maybe GROM used 2015 radio as a base for their software hack. Something inherently different in the software is causing the minor hiccups with older models.
2013 to 2014 is not much of a difference.
2015 was a year they made many changes to the multimedia/radio/navigation.

Here is a list of all the changes to the 2015 radio/head unit from 2014:
  • Home screen divided into three sections (customizable for HVAC, audio, traffic, MID)
    • Navigation equipped vehicles
    • 3D maps; with bird’s eye view mode
    • 3D buildings; key buildings/landmarks
    • My traffic routes; preset frequently used routes, ETA for routes
    • Speed limit display on road traveled
    • ETA calculation improved (speed limit, current traffic, predictive traffic data)
    • Traffic detour preview; alternate route options offered when traffic becomes heavy
    • Predictive traffic; provides view of traffic ahead based on Clear Channel Total Traffic Network (15 minute increments)
  • MID data sharing; content from headunit displayed in MID (e.g. song information, NAV direction, call info.)
    • Voice Recognition
    • One-shot address entry
    • Steering wheel control of onboard/offboard voice recognition
  • Voice Recognition Guidance Level; ability to choose voice prompt level (High/Low/Off)
  • Hint screens
  • Cache Radio; ability to pause live AM/FM radio and HD Radio (15 minutes later)
    • Hybrid Data Service
    • Traffic and Weather data provided via HD Radio (free to all users while in HD Radio range)
      • Display Audio has basic traffic map and weather forecast
      • NAV-equipped vehicles have up to date and predictive traffic, Doppler weather and weather forecast
        • NAV-equipped vehicles w/Lexus Enform App Suite can continue to receive data outside of HD Radio range (switches to cellular connectivity when outside of HD Radio range)
jdpdata (02-21-20)
Old 02-21-20, 05:31 PM
Dotslash
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Did anyone know if you press the check for updates button in VLINE settings it puts you into beta tester mode? You can then install beta firmwares & updates.. Not sure if i trust it however.

On a side note 2 questions for anyone who can help
1) Where is this announcement about Wireless Carplay? Does it say which Vline supports it ? I have a V8 Vline
2) What's the diff with V7/V8/V9 VLine units ?
--- Asked grom this they said 7/8/9 are same hardware - Just different cables

Thanks!!

Last edited by Dotslash; 02-21-20 at 06:51 PM.

Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed