GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-20, 06:28 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

Haha that's the same one I bought to install!! I haven't installed it yet though ; I'm using just plain usb3 cables. The route from the glovebox to the center console isn't hard but you have to take out pretty much everything between the two and you must be careful routing cables past the shifter so you can put everything back together and have it fit right.
Old 02-27-20, 01:42 AM
DuB
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadeXero
My installer told me I needed a male version of this cable for my 2016 GS. Ended up running a separate cable for now. Did I miss something on how to install it?
Amazon Amazon

You pull the USB's plug off the back of the headunit and plug it into the SCOSCHE cable. I'm using this on my 2016 with a Carlinkit. Both ports work for the most part. I have issues with Android Auto where I need to unplug, then plug it back in to work, but I use the wireless connection anyway.
Old 02-27-20, 01:47 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by DuB
https://www.amazon.com/SCOSCHE-Adapt.../dp/B01AWGYILI

You pull the USB's plug off the back of the headunit and plug it into the SCOSCHE cable. I'm using this on my 2016 with a Carlinkit. Both ports work for the most part. I have issues with Android Auto where I need to unplug, then plug it back in to work, but I use the wireless connection anyway.
If you get the single usb port from the 2013-2015 GS you won't have any usb issues with this adapter.
Old 03-06-20, 01:09 PM
PlPete
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Well, I recently updated the new firmware and software and I think that might have fixed one issue where when I ran Google Maps and played music via Spotify in Android Auto, AA would crash and take me back to stock Grom UI. It was stable after the recent update yesterday.

I'm not sure if it also fixed my issue where the screen would auto default to Lexus UI and not Grom after starting up. Need to try it few more times to be sure.

But do not worry. this update had a bug I think too lol. When in AA and I put the car in reverse the screen does not switch to the camera! It does so when I'm out of Grom. Go figure....

I was also curious, what's the proper order for upgrades? Firmware first and then software or the other way around. Or does it not matter?
Old 03-06-20, 01:51 PM
c2fordy5
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by PlPete
Well, I recently updated the new firmware and software and I think that might have fixed one issue where when I ran Google Maps and played music via Spotify in Android Auto, AA would crash and take me back to stock Grom UI. It was stable after the recent update yesterday.

I'm not sure if it also fixed my issue where the screen would auto default to Lexus UI and not Grom after starting up. Need to try it few more times to be sure.

But do not worry. this update had a bug I think too lol. When in AA and I put the car in reverse the screen does not switch to the camera! It does so when I'm out of Grom. Go figure....

I was also curious, what's the proper order for upgrades? Firmware first and then software or the other way around. Or does it not matter?
I can’t elaborate on the AA issue but I did notice that when I put the car on reverse, it would fully switch to the factory interface but after the updates, the camera screen looks more like an overlay on the GROM interface. I don’t find it too bad though.

In terms of order, I normally do software first, then firmware.

Quick question... Has anyone had any success with the USB retention adapter? I’ve been thinking about getting it so everything could be hidden away and just use the regular OEM USB port (I wonder why @gromaudio didn’t make one of those). Let me know which one you guys have had good experience with and would recommend
Old 03-06-20, 02:11 PM
PlPete
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Interesting. I get no camera at all while in AA or Grom.

I do find it somewhat odd that there seems to be a variety of bugs that tends to differ from user to user. Very few instances where everyone experiences the same bug or error.
Old 03-06-20, 04:12 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

@c2fordy5 dang dude, did you just totaled your car? What happened? Hope your GROM survived. See you got a new 2020 GS nice! Post up some pics.
The following users liked this post:
c2fordy5 (03-06-20)
Old 03-06-20, 05:20 PM
c2fordy5
Driver

Originally Posted by jdpdata
@c2fordy5 dang dude, did you just totaled your car? What happened? Hope your GROM survived. See you got a new 2020 GS nice! Post up some pics.
Nothing slips by you huh lol. Yeah man. Somebody pulled in front of me, left me no reaction time and I pretty much T-boned her. Almost got killed.

I pulled the GROM from it days later after it was deemed totaled and it’s sitting nice in the new 2020 right now

jdpdata (03-06-20)
Old 03-06-20, 05:24 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

That looks horrific. Glad you're ok. I'd love a new 2020 GS. Seems like most people walk away from major crashes without any issue. The GS is a very safe sedan.
c2fordy5 (03-06-20)
Old 03-06-20, 05:40 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

Really sorry about the accident; I am very happy that you are ok.

It suck about the GS, it was a great car, but it's good to know that the car is VERY SAFE. This is the 3rd accident I have seen on CL and even for the worst one, the accident did not intrude into the passenger compartment. That is the sign that the accident was survivable and the car did it's job. Lexus may not have built the fastest, most technologically advanced car when they built the GS, but the built the best overall car for sure!
c2fordy5 (03-06-20)
Old 03-06-20, 06:26 PM
c2fordy5
Driver

I appreciate it guys! That accident was a testament to me of how safe that car was. Although this was one of the scariest event in my life. I walked away with no bruises, no broken bones. The only issue I had was breathing from the airbags smell and particles that had deployed. Therefore, my decision to get into another one was super easy knowing that I’m driving not only a reliable and sexy car but extremely safe. It’s gonna be really hard for another brand to earn me
superboy74 (03-06-20)
Old 03-07-20, 06:32 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

The latest update on my GROM also killed the functionality of my backup camera (and auto-switching to the parking assist) - in typical GROM fashion, they are looking into it. You'd think they would test their firmware updates before pushing out to end users.
Old 03-07-20, 07:17 AM
ricky350is
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

That's weird.... I have the update and now the backup camera over lays over Apple Carplay so I'm happy about it
Old 03-07-20, 07:46 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ricky350is
That's weird.... I have the update and now the backup camera over lays over Apple Carplay so I'm happy about it
Mine does that as well now. I am indifferent to it. Either way is good.
Old 03-07-20, 07:59 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

No issues with my backup camera here. In Grom interface or Android Auto, both works perfectly. I'm on lastest firmware and software.

Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed