GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-20, 10:57 AM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PlPete
Well, I recently updated the new firmware and software and I think that might have fixed one issue where when I ran Google Maps and played music via Spotify in Android Auto, AA would crash and take me back to stock Grom UI. It was stable after the recent update yesterday.

I'm not sure if it also fixed my issue where the screen would auto default to Lexus UI and not Grom after starting up. Need to try it few more times to be sure.

But do not worry. this update had a bug I think too lol. When in AA and I put the car in reverse the screen does not switch to the camera! It does so when I'm out of Grom. Go figure....I was also curious, what's the proper order for upgrades? Firmware first and then software or the other way around. Or does it not matter?
The proper order is not not update at all if its working well. GROM's quality control on software updates is suspect and their updates work fine for one year but breaks something on a different year GS. My units is finally working excellent on an older beta release therefore I'm done updating. The camera not displaying in reverse is an update they broke a while a go, fixed it and it looks like they broke it again.
Old 03-07-20, 11:24 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

So weird that you guys are having some random issues. I always update to the latest software and firmware never have any issues... Knock on wood I guess
Old 03-07-20, 12:03 PM
c2fordy5
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

It is very weird that random issues are happening for different users. I have no issues here at all. I find the backup camera overlay on the GROM system fine. The less switching back to factory the better IMO
Old 03-07-20, 02:53 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I suspect the reason for it breaking on some cars and not others is due to the minor changes in the OE system over the years. For instance, I have a 14' ES and even though they advertise that the GROM can switch to the factory screen for a second when you change climate settings - it turns out that actually isn't possible on my 14' ES because the protocol didn't exist in that year, but works in the next generation navigation that came out in 15'.

The difference in years doesn't excuse them from not testing the firmware & software updates - especially if they are going to push them to all GROM units despite what year/model it's installed in.
Old 03-07-20, 05:21 PM
PlPete
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by YaMomma
The proper order is not not update at all if its working well. GROM's quality control on software updates is suspect and their updates work fine for one year but breaks something on a different year GS. My units is finally working excellent on an older beta release therefore I'm done updating. The camera not displaying in reverse is an update they broke a while a go, fixed it and it looks like they broke it again.
I agree, however, I did have some issues. As other users reported, some things were fixed (like crashing AA if I used Google maps and not loading properly) but now fixed the reverse camera. Hope they will release something that will leave it operating 100%.
Old 03-10-20, 02:09 PM
RDWILLIAMS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, have a 07 lexus lx470 and the vline 2 using carplay. Can't get bluetooth calls to work well at all (callers say too much echo of their voice). Tried updates no luck. Dimitry at GROM has helped but now saying it isn't designed for bluetooth calling, that I need BT-3 for calls. Anyone have suggestions on what might be going on with calls?
Old 03-10-20, 02:21 PM
enricoclau
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RDWILLIAMS
Hi, have a 07 lexus lx470 and the vline 2 using carplay. Can't get bluetooth calls to work well at all (callers say too much echo of their voice). Tried updates no luck. Dimitry at GROM has helped but now saying it isn't designed for bluetooth calling, that I need BT-3 for calls. Anyone have suggestions on what might be going on with calls?
If you are still in the return window, I would contact GROM and ask for a RMA and full refund. After two weeks dealing with Dmitry and broken promises about getting every day by night a firmware to fix the broken UI Shortcut, black screens when using CarPlay, broken factory bluetooth causing more black screens and with the latest firmware broken audio, I decided to ask for a RMA and had them paying for the return label as well. Got my refund 4 days after they received the VLine. It is definitely not worthy the price asked. Maybe for $300 you can live with some of the bugs (not the broken audio) and help them beta testing but not for $600, sorry. I know for some models it really works. I guess if you own a car model that GROM is able to test every day, them jump on it but for most models it's just too buggy to even consider it.
Old 03-10-20, 02:26 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
So weird that you guys are having some random issues. I always update to the latest software and firmware never have any issues... Knock on wood I guess
I bet the reason why it works with the '15 GS350 is that is probably GROM's test car and only test car......
Old 03-10-20, 02:56 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by bob256k
I bet the reason why it works with the '15 GS350 is that is probably GROM's test car and only test car......
Yup, I agree with you. Glad mine is a 2015.
Old 03-10-20, 03:02 PM
enricoclau
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bob256k
Originally Posted by jdpdata
Yup, I agree with you. Glad mine is a 2015.
You just hit the nail straight in the head. Check the street view of GROM Audio headquarters

The following 3 users liked this post by enricoclau:
bob256k (03-12-20), Im2bz2p345 (03-10-20), jdpdata (03-10-20)
Old 03-10-20, 04:23 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by enricoclau
You just hit the nail straight in the head. Check the street view of GROM Audio headquarters
LOL. Those are some serious detective skills!
The following 2 users liked this post by eddie420:
bob256k (03-12-20), Im2bz2p345 (03-10-20)
Old 03-12-20, 09:22 AM
PlPete
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Well....I can report that a recent software and firmware update that was pushed out the other day fixed my problem with the reverse camera not coming on when in Grom or AA. That's now working as expected. Also, Google Maps when in AA has been stable and not crashing. Another plus.

Unfortunately, the bug that is causing the screen to switch to the stock Lexus UI during boot up is back. This seemed fixed with the previous software/firmware but back again. So basically 2 steps forward and 1 step back.

I guess we should be mentioning our car details since that seems to make a difference. What I'm experiencing is on a 2014 GS350 w/ ML.
Old 03-12-20, 09:35 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

This confirms my theory that 2015 GS is working flawlessly. I update to each and every new software and firmware when available..not a single issue. Sorry for you guys with 2013-2014 GS. Keep bugging (no pun intended) Grom to fix the issues, they'll get it done.
Old 03-12-20, 12:44 PM
c2fordy5
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

So GROM just sent an email demoing wireless CarPlay. Can’t wait! Wonder if being on Bluetooth will change the phone calls audio quality...
Old 03-12-20, 12:45 PM
xvimalx
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by c2fordy5
So GROM just sent an email demoing wireless CarPlay. Can’t wait! Wonder if being on Bluetooth will change the phone calls audio quality...
I thought the same thing! I haven't really used GROMs Bluetooth. I get really poor quality out of their CarPlay wired calls. Does anyone have experience with GROMs Bluetooth?

Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed