GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-20, 12:51 PM
c2fordy5
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bob256k
Are you sure you are plugged into the right USB port of the VL2? Only one USB port supports CarPlay; this looks like that's is what is happening. I would swap ports and test again.
I’m pretty sure I’m plugged into the correct port. I tested without the USB retention and it worked fine. I guess it’s a no luck on this one for me
Old 03-13-20, 12:52 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

What is the USB retention thingy you are referring to? You are trying to reuse your existing USB port?
Old 03-13-20, 01:00 PM
c2fordy5
Driver

What is the USB retention thingy you are referring to? You are trying to reuse your existing USB port?
This thing SCOSCHE USB Adapter for Select...
Amazon Amazon
. Yes I was trying to reuse my existing USB port.
Old 03-13-20, 01:11 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Unhappy

Originally Posted by c2fordy5
This thing SCOSCHE USB Adapter for Select... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AWGYILI...p_mob_ap_share. Yes I was trying to reuse my existing USB port.

If you have the dual USB port and 3.5mm combo unit, I don't think this will work, as that unit is a USB Hub and a bunch of other electronics inside as well. I think this only works with the Lexus sign USB and 3.5mm unit, as I think that is just a pass thru not a true hub. Sorry.... I think I posted pictures of the inside of the dual USB port and 3.5mm hub here on CL somewhere, if you check my post history you'll find it.
Old 03-13-20, 04:37 PM
c2fordy5
Driver

If you have the dual USB port and 3.5mm combo unit, I don't think this will work, as that unit is a USB Hub and a bunch of other electronics inside as well. I think this only works with the Lexus sign USB and 3.5mm unit, as I think that is just a pass thru not a true hub. Sorry.... I think I posted pictures of the inside of the dual USB port and 3.5mm hub here on CL somewhere, if you check my post history you'll find it.
You are right man. That all makes sense right there. I’ll look up your post history and see what I find. Thanks!
Old 03-16-20, 04:34 PM
xvimalx
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey guys I've been in the beta version of the wireless CarPlay. It works pretty well. One thing I'd say is that it doesn't automatically connect and launch which is a bit annoying. Otherwise works like a charms. Let me know if you're looking forward to having the wireless CarPlay feature added to grom when they release it. Hope you guys are staying well and healthy!
The following users liked this post:
c2fordy5 (03-16-20)
Old 03-16-20, 05:22 PM
c2fordy5
Driver

Originally Posted by xvimalx
Hey guys I've been in the beta version of the wireless CarPlay. It works pretty well. One thing I'd say is that it doesn't automatically connect and launch which is a bit annoying. Otherwise works like a charms. Let me know if you're looking forward to having the wireless CarPlay feature added to grom when they release it. Hope you guys are staying well and healthy!
Thanks for the update on this. I am definitely looking forward to having the wireless CarPlay feature. Quick question... What do you mean by it doesn’t automatically connect? Are you saying your have to go through the pairing process every time or upon Vline being launched bluetooth is paired and CarPlay icon turns green and you just have to click on it to launch it? Also how did you get on the beta and how stable is it?
Old 03-16-20, 05:42 PM
xvimalx
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by c2fordy5
Thanks for the update on this. I am definitely looking forward to having the wireless CarPlay feature. Quick question... What do you mean by it doesn’t automatically connect? Are you saying your have to go through the pairing process every time or upon Vline being launched bluetooth is paired and CarPlay icon turns green and you just have to click on it to launch it? Also how did you get on the beta and how stable is it?
I've only had it for about a week. It connect but you have to go into the CarPlay icon to force it to connect to CarPlay. I think I clicked on the VLine update like 10x's and it let me download beta versions lol. (Bored one day I guess). The last update before this one gave me quite a few BSODs which was annoying. I haven't gotten one with this update. I forget but is Grom monitoring this forum for updates or do we go directly to their website for support?
Old 03-16-20, 05:53 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Forget Wireless CarPlay, what about Wireless Android Auto. Is mid March now, I don't see a darn thing. Been updating to all the latest software/firmware..nothing new that I can see.
@gromaudio does not monitor this forum. They're active with the ISF guys, but doesn't give any attention. Sucks!
Old 03-16-20, 05:56 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Forget Wireless CarPlay, what about Wireless Android Auto. Is mid March now, I don't see a darn thing. Been updating to all the latest software/firmware..nothing new that I can see.
@gromaudio does not monitor this forum. They're active with the ISF guys, but doesn't give any attention. Sucks!
They posted this on the RX forums, early April release: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post10760427
The following 2 users liked this post by eddie420:
Im2bz2p345 (03-17-20), jdpdata (03-16-20)
Old 03-16-20, 06:04 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Thanks Eddie!
Don't know why GROM is avoiding us here. Not a single reply, they're active everywhere else. Is the GS user base that small that they're ignoring us? We got at least a dozen guys in here that's actively using VL2. I've been asking for Changelogs, keep getting the run around.
Old 03-16-20, 07:26 PM
c2fordy5
Driver

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Thanks Eddie!
Don't know why GROM is avoiding us here. Not a single reply, they're active everywhere else. Is the GS user base that small that they're ignoring us? We got at least a dozen guys in here that's actively using VL2. I've been asking for Changelogs, keep getting the run around.

@gromaudio is probably avoiding us here because they’re intimidating by us seeing how tech savvy some of us are. So they don’t want the challenge.
The following users liked this post:
jdpdata (03-16-20)
Old 03-17-20, 04:16 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Anyone know how to restore it if the beta firmware won’t let it start? I meant to install the beta software and had a dumb moment and clicked firmware. It will start for a second (showing OEM screen) then goes to a pink/purple screen.

Check engine light triggered.

Grrrr...my own fault.

Steve
Old 03-17-20, 04:17 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Call GROM, they have phone support now. just google search
Old 03-17-20, 04:53 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

I am back up. Live chat. They were awesome.

Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed