GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-20, 12:32 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitfield
so you didn’t need to cut into the glove box at all?
Nope, just a small hole in the filter door. See install pics I posted somewhere in this thread. I have GS you're in a RX so I don't know if there is anything different about our glove box.
Old 04-14-20, 03:06 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Just an update on the installation of the VL2 in a 2018 RX 350.
Nice to know it works well, I have a 2017 RX 350 F as well. My glove box is already packed with the car manuals and my cell link battery pack for my Thinkware F800 Pro dash cam. Not sure I have any room to spare in the glove box. I plan on routing the cables into the center compartment and installing the GROM and Cell link there. There is a second tray at the bottom you can remove and there is PLENTY of space to mount stuff. I mounted things like this in my GS and worked really well. Out of sight and doesn't take any space I wasn't going to use for anything anyways.

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Nope, just a small hole in the filter door. See install pics I posted somewhere in this thread. I have GS you're in a RX so I don't know if there is anything different about our glove box.
Nothing different, they are pretty much identical. It can definitely be mounted in the glove box with a little slack in the wires to take into account the opening angle of the door. That hole is way too large but I guess you won't see it when it's closed so if it works for him, then more power to him!
The following users liked this post:
jdpdata (04-14-20)
Old 04-16-20, 12:57 PM
jlai20
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi All,

Been working through the system since I installed it this past weekend but I'm running into some issues installing GApps. Vline starts the download but stops about 1/4 of the way through and I alternate 2 different error codes:

1) Error: write file error. unexpected end of stream
2) Error: write file error. Software caused connection abort

Did anyone else run into this? Submitted a ticket to Grom but haven't heard back.

Thanks
Old 04-16-20, 01:58 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Never encounter that error before. As I remember, first time install GApps, I had to leave the car running. It took awhile downloading the large file. If your car shut off during installation, it may lead to file corruption. You may want to connect to home WiFi for faster download. If you WiFi signal is weak in the garage, get an extender. I don't recommend downloading large files on Cell HotSpot.
Old 04-16-20, 06:38 PM
jlai20
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Never encounter that error before. As I remember, first time install GApps, I had to leave the car running. It took awhile downloading the large file. If your car shut off during installation, it may lead to file corruption. You may want to connect to home WiFi for faster download. If you WiFi signal is weak in the garage, get an extender. I don't recommend downloading large files on Cell HotSpot.
Thanks jdpdata. I did make sure to leave the car on as I believe you mentioned that previously in the thread. Grom actually got back to me and told me that I needed to make sure the Date/Time is right before I try to install anything. So I updated that and the download went through. Not sure why that had anything to do with the download but it worked.

For those who have used Wireless Carplay, I see an option to connect but after I go through the pairing, it gets stuck on "Waiting Carplay UI....." and never connects. Any ideas?
Old 04-17-20, 03:50 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Try making sure your iPhone is unlocked. I have noticed iOS sometimes wants verification the first time you use carplay.
Old 04-17-20, 03:58 PM
jlai20
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
Try making sure your iPhone is unlocked. I have noticed iOS sometimes wants verification the first time you use carplay.
Thanks. I made sure I was accepting it but it still wasn't working. I got it to work after removing the bluetooth connection from my car and phone, turning off my car for 15 mins and reseting my phone and then re-pairing everything. Thanks for the help.

So far so good. Getting random glitches here and there but nothing to complain too much about. Thanks again to everyone on the thread for the help!
Old 04-17-20, 05:20 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

Anyone update to 3.18 yet? Any idea when wireless CarPlay is coming out? I talked to tech support abs they said end of the month like two weeks ago
Old 04-17-20, 05:32 PM
bob256k
Instructor

WOOT! Wireless CarPlay is in 3.18!
Attached Thumbnails GROM VL2 installed-photo987.jpg  
Old 04-17-20, 06:20 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

I updated to 3.18 as well, where is Wireless Android Auto?
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (04-18-20)
Old 04-17-20, 11:01 PM
bob256k
Instructor

With CarPlay it’s in the CarPlay menu; you have to turn on Bluetooth on the vl2 and pair your phone with the vl2. Try that and see what happens..
Old 04-17-20, 11:31 PM
bob256k
Instructor

I ALSO found out you can use Wireless CarPlay and share your phones internet with the VL2 if you enable share internet under the bluetooth option of the bluetooth connection your phone is using with the VL2. The only issue is the phone then tries to use the Bluetooth connection of the VL2 for internet, I wish there was a way to hotspot one way. I guess this is more of a hack than anything. I'll follow up if anything comes of it.
Old 04-18-20, 02:08 AM
c2fordy5
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bob256k
I ALSO found out you can use Wireless CarPlay and share your phones internet with the VL2 if you enable share internet under the bluetooth option of the bluetooth connection your phone is using with the VL2. The only issue is the phone then tries to use the Bluetooth connection of the VL2 for internet, I wish there was a way to hotspot one way. I guess this is more of a hack than anything. I'll follow up if anything comes of it.
I’ve been using the beta for at least a month and noticed that, which I thought was really cool. Wireless CarPlay takes away the ability to share your phone’s hotspot because it creates its own WiFi network upon activation. So that is a good workaround to have both features at the same time. My only issue with it is, it doesn’t stick once you turn off the car. It takes about 3-4 clicks to go to the Bluetooth settings to turn that feature back on and that’s annoying. I wonder if GROM could find a way to make the vl2 remember that option after activating once and for all. Now that wireless CarPlay is public, I’m gonna bring this to their attention and see what they say.
Old 04-19-20, 10:20 AM
Whitfield
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
Nice to know it works well, I have a 2017 RX 350 F as well. My glove box is already packed with the car manuals and my cell link battery pack for my Thinkware F800 Pro dash cam. Not sure I have any room to spare in the glove box. I plan on routing the cables into the center compartment and installing the GROM and Cell link there. There is a second tray at the bottom you can remove and there is PLENTY of space to mount stuff. I mounted things like this in my GS and worked really well. Out of sight and doesn't take any space I wasn't going to use for anything anyways.

center console under the tray is the best place to mount. The unit fits perfectly.
also, great to hear wireless Carplay is in v.3.18. I’ll have to update and try it out.
Old 04-19-20, 12:56 PM
bob256k
Instructor

center console under the tray is the best place to mount. The unit fits perfectly.
also, great to hear wireless Carplay is in v.3.18. I’ll have to update and try it out.
@eddie420 are you talking about removing the center console and mounting the VL2 under the center console box where the lighter outlet and usb inputs are , or mounting it in the center console box?

Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed