GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-19, 12:23 PM
medsaver
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's disconcerting. I guess I'll hold off until we know more.
Old 02-28-19, 12:45 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

GROM sent me a new firmware to flash. But I'm holding off nervous that I'll get new bugs. This hiccup only happened once, been good last couple days. Will update if I get anymore startup issues.

Gotta give them 👍for super fast response. I emailed tech support about the issue and within a couple hours they sent me new firmware to flash. This is reason why I buy from an US based company. Any other overseas company you're at their mercy.
Old 02-28-19, 12:48 PM
medsaver
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well keep us updated when you decide to install the new firmware.
The following users liked this post:
jdpdata (02-28-19)
Old 02-28-19, 01:15 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
GROM sent me a new firmware to flash. But I'm holding off nervous that I'll get new bugs. This hiccup only happened once, been good last couple days. Will update if I get anymore startup issues.

Gotta give them 👍for super fast response. I emailed tech support about the issue and within a couple of hours, they sent me new firmware to flash. This is the reason why I buy from an US based company. Any other overseas company you're at their mercy.
Thanks for practically beta testing this out for us, probably by vl3 update Grom would have come a long way, might be a worthwhile upgrade for me.
Old 02-28-19, 02:23 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by peasodos
Thanks for practically beta testing this out for us, probably by vl3 update Grom would have come a long way, might be a worthwhile upgrade for me.
Funny that's what the guys that wanted VL1 said about VL2..and VL2 will say about VL3...and VL3 will say about VL4...and so on. There will never be a perfect bug-free system. Hell I even get an occasional hang up/freezes with Lexus own Infotainment. GROM is hacking Lexus to get this to work. I'm amazed that it is as stable as it is now. It's an complex system and now with CarPlay and Android Auto thrown into the mix, it's even more complicated. So I do expect a hiccup here or there. As long as GROM fixes it and continue to support this system, I'm all in. I'd rather dive in now and enjoy the system then wish for this or that to be fixed and never experienced it. It perfectly fine the way it is now for me. If you can't deal with an occasional bug and not willing to take the steps to fix it, then this is not for you.
Old 02-28-19, 03:11 PM
c2fordy5
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Funny that's what the guys that wanted VL1 said about VL2..and VL2 will say about VL3...and VL3 will say about VL4...and so on. There will never be a perfect bug-free system. Hell I even get an occasional hang up/freezes with Lexus own Infotainment. GROM is hacking Lexus to get this to work. I'm amazed that it is as stable as it is now. It's an complex system and now with CarPlay and Android Auto thrown into the mix, it's even more complicated. So I do expect a hiccup here or there. As long as GROM fixes it and continue to support this system, I'm all in. I'd rather dive in now and enjoy the system then wish for this or that to be fixed and never experienced it. It perfectly fine the way it is now for me. If you can't deal with an occasional bug and not willing to take the steps to fix it, then this is not for you.
Great point and thank you for keeping us updated. I just received mine in the mail today. Hopefully I find some times this weekend to install it. Im excited!!

Old 02-28-19, 03:15 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by c2fordy5
Great point and thank you for keeping us updated. I just received mine in the mail today. Hopefully I find some times this weekend to install it. Im excited!!
Woohoo ! Congrats man! Installation shouldn't take you more than 2 hours. Take it slow and make sure you take lots of photos.

Not sure if I mentioned this, but during initial setup, leave your car running! Gapps will take approx 20 minutes to download, if you don't have the engine running, the car will automatically shutdown to conserve battery. This will surely brick your VL2 if it cut power during boot-up. GROM should have bold warning in their installation manual about this. I'm glad I left my car running the entire time when I did initial setup.

Last edited by jdpdata; 02-28-19 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-28-19, 03:34 PM
c2fordy5
Driver

Woohoo ! Congrats man! Installation shouldn't take you more than 2 hours. Take it slow and make sure you take lots of photos.

Not sure if I mentioned this, but during initial setup, leave your car running! Gapps will take approx 20 minutes to download, if you don't have the engine running, the car will automatically shutdown to conserve battery. This will surely brick your VL2 if it cut power during boot-up. GROM should have bold warning in their installation manual about this. I'm glad I left my car running the entire time when I did initial setup.
Thanks so much man! This is great information and critical to a successful installation. Leaving the car running was the last thing in my mind. You’re the best bud!! We appreciate all your helpful tips!!
The following users liked this post:
jdpdata (02-28-19)
Old 02-28-19, 03:40 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Sure thing dude! I'm just glad I have another member that I can compare notes with about VL2. Everyone is too nervous to buy this thing due to all the bugs in VL1..granted I don't blame them. VL2 is a much more stable product...though not perfect.
Old 03-01-19, 07:40 AM
c2fordy5
Driver

Sure thing dude! I'm just glad I have another member that I can compare notes with about VL2. Everyone is too nervous to buy this thing due to all the bugs in VL1..granted I don't blame them. VL2 is a much more stable product...though not perfect.
Nothing can be perfect, especially when it comes to systems that involve hardware and software. Bugs will always find their way in. With all the complaints I've seen, it also appears that GROM has been very responsive and in a quick manner as well. So that's definitely encouraging to know that you're not left alone trying to figure out the problem and not being able to get in touch with the company.
Old 03-03-19, 06:49 PM
yelloiroc
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Installed my Vline today. Super easy install (didn't even have to take out the glove box). However, I'm also having trouble with the backup camera. When shifted into reverse the screen blips for a second but remains on the vline. When another source is selected the camera pops up. @jdpdata You just shift your car into reverse with vline on screen and you camera pops up and is viewable? Do you recall setting any particular settings? I'll also follow-up with @gromaudio to see if they have any insight.
Old 03-04-19, 08:56 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by yelloiroc
Installed my Vline today. Super easy install (didn't even have to take out the glove box). However, I'm also having trouble with the backup camera. When shifted into reverse the screen blips for a second but remains on the vline. When another source is selected the camera pops up. @jdpdata You just shift your car into reverse with vline on screen and you camera pops up and is viewable? Do you recall setting any particular settings? I'll also follow-up with @gromaudio to see if they have any insight.
My reverse camera works perfectly since day one without setting anything special. Mine is on Vline interface 100% of the time. I don't need to switch to Lexus OE interface for any reasons, other than maybe make some changes in System settings. Check that you have 'Auto Screen Change' set to OFF (under Settings>General Settings of your Lexus OE Infotainment). If you leave that to ON setting, it will interfere with VL2 functions. If you already have that set to OFF, then I don't know. You'll need to contact tech support. Also make sure you have all the latest updates/firmware. Just curious do you have a 2013 or 2014? Seems that the wiring harness were slightly different for those MY vs MY2015...maybe that's the issue. I know YoMomma have a 2014, he experienced same backup camera issue.
Old 03-04-19, 02:05 PM
yelloiroc
Driver School Candidate

It's a 13. I've had the "auto switch" shut off since the very start of my ownership. It's super annoying IMO. If grom shares anything worthwhile I'll be sure to share it.
Old 03-04-19, 02:45 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

So there is something inherently different about '13-14 vs '15. I remember @peasodos replacing his '13 head-unit with a '15 head-unit. Some of the wiring harness were different, he couldn't get his back-up camera to work after the swap. Hopefully GROM can figure it out for you. Meanwhile you can get around this bug by pressing 'Radio' button on dash before reversing, then press 'Media' twice to get back to Vline. Annoying, but at least you have a work around until they can fix it.
Old 03-06-19, 06:55 AM
yelloiroc
Driver School Candidate

Spoke with GROM (they replied in less than a day). Asked me to take photos of the reverse screen and f/w running on Vline. While I'm 99.4% sure i checked for updates multiple times before contacting them when they replied they had me check for updates, sure enough, one was available. After the update was applied everything worked without a hitch.

A+ for customer service/support.

Now I'm just figuring out what apps I want to be loaded and what positioned as well as what mobile internet source I'm going to use, and once I figure that out I anticipate being very pleased with this product.
The following 3 users liked this post by yelloiroc:
ChronoR (03-06-19), Im2bz2p345 (03-07-19), jdpdata (03-06-19)

Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed