GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-21, 01:14 AM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by robm
I am considering buying the Grom unit for my 2015 GS. Is this product still buggy, or have they worked out most of the issues now? I am aware it cannot go full screen on my car.
It used to be a little buggy, now it's rock solid. I honestly can't remember the last time I had to pull the plug on the unit to hard reboot it. It used to be once or twice a month, and now it's been.... 6 months? Like I said so long ago I can't even remember the last time.
The following users liked this post:
Niralsp88 (10-15-21)
Old 10-15-21, 03:51 PM
medsaver
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This may have been asked already. But does anyone know if we can get rid of the control “dock” on the left. It just takes up real estate and I never use it.

Old 10-19-21, 01:05 AM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by medsaver
This may have been asked already. But does anyone know if we can get rid of the control “dock” on the left. It just takes up real estate and I never use it.
I've never seen an option to get rid of it but I know it is possible for them to hide it as full screen video used to hide it. However one of the updates changed it so now it appears even when playing full screen video. You could try contacting their support team and request that feature for a future update.
Old 10-19-21, 03:01 AM
djovaniii
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a way, just hope Grom will not block it.
This app can do it: (install it on Vline 2)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...raco.immersive

In order to work, you will need to connect to the Vline using a cable.
I did it from my android phone using the standard USB-A to USB-c cable, and that program:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ik.hackendebug
to grand permissions to the first one.
It is just one command needed, it will be displayed when you open the program

It is working rally nice for me, and when I move the mouse over the edge it will show it again the navbar.
But I have Waze on full screen
Old 10-19-21, 09:27 AM
medsaver
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by djovaniii;[url=tel:11147719
11147719[/url]]There is a way, just hope Grom will not block it.
This app can do it: (install it on Vline 2)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...raco.immersive

In order to work, you will need to connect to the Vline using a cable.
I did it from my android phone using the standard USB-A to USB-c cable, and that program:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ik.hackendebug
to grand permissions to the first one.
It is just one command needed, it will be displayed when you open the program

It is working rally nice for me, and when I move the mouse over the edge it will show it again the navbar.
But I have Waze on full screen
I don’t have an android phone. Any other way to load this?
Old 10-19-21, 02:32 PM
djovaniii
Rookie

Originally Posted by medsaver
I don’t have an android phone. Any other way to load this?
The easiest way will be with usb-a to usb-c cable.
So if you have a laptop with usb-c, that might work.
You will just need to download adb shell, and run the command from Windows command prompt
Old 10-25-21, 10:40 AM
ARchamps
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi everyone. Does anyone that has the Vline in their 2016+ mind showing me a video of wireless AA and how it looks on the full screen? Can't find any videos that show this. Thanks in advance! Got mine on order already just curious as to how it looks on full screen. Only finding videos of carplay.
shadowx055 (10-25-21)
Old 11-03-21, 10:19 AM
zgadson1
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel like I've had an overall negative experience with the Grom Vline2 in my 2018 IS350, and Grom hasn't done much except to tell me to make sure the firmware is updated (which it is), so I'd love some guidance if anyone else has experienced the following:

- Grom UI is sometimes not displayed when starting the car. I can move the joystick around and nothing happens, as if its controlling the Grom UI but is showing me the Lexus UI. Only if I wiggle the joystick a bit does it finally register and switch the display to the Grom UI.
- Grom remembers my iPhone hotspot SSID and password, but has never connected to my iPhone automatically - not even once- even though I have "enable WiFi on boot" turned on.
- CarPlay connects automatically only about 20% of the time. The other 80% require forgetting the VLine entirely in iPhone CarPlay settings and reconnecting. Gigantic pain in the ***. This has actually caused me to use the Lexus UI more than the $650 Grom unit, which is quite upsetting.
- Why do I need to totally forget the Grom unit in iPhone CarPlay settings to connect to the hotspot to use internet on the Grom? If I don't forget CarPlay, it keeps trying to connect and Grom disconnects from my iPhone hotspot. Anyone running iPhone Shortcuts to handle this better?
- Today while attempting to install the BlackVue dashcam app on the VLine, the setup process was going fine until it came time to connect to the camera from the BlackVue app. It found the camera automatically (awesome), but wouldn't let me scroll down far enough to click Save, as though it's not showing the whole screen somehow. I have font & display set to the smallest setting which helped to see more of the screen, but still can't scroll down. The zoom buttons in the column on the left side of the screen do nothing, and using the up/down arrows to rotate through the buttons skips whatever is hidden off screen. (This is the image below).
- Sound quality via wired and wireless CarPlay sucks, so I'm using the workaround where my iPhone is connected to the Lexus Bluetooth, but I can use CarPlay to still control it.
- Grom was able to make climate controls pop up at the top when adjusting settings - wouldn't a volume pop up seem more useful? Why isn't that an option?

I want to like the Grom unit, but right now I'm incredibly disappointed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wiggling the joystick:

Sound quality/speaker static - sounds like interference?:

Can't scroll down to click OK:

Last edited by zgadson1; 11-03-21 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-03-21, 12:53 PM
RATEDF
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by zgadson1
- Grom UI is sometimes not displayed when starting the car. I can move the joystick around and nothing happens, as if its controlling the Grom UI but is showing me the Lexus UI. Only if I wiggle the joystick a bit does it finally register and switch the display to the Grom UI.
Same. I have to hit the 'media' button for it to switch to Grom UI.

- Grom remembers my iPhone hotspot SSID and password, but has never connected to my iPhone automatically - not even once- even though I have "enable WiFi on boot" turned on.
Same. I have it enabled to connect on boot as well but I have to go into the Android settings and force it to search for WiFi. Sometimes I need to toggle on/off hotspot settings on my iPhone too.

- CarPlay connects automatically only about 20% of the time. The other 80% require forgetting the VLine entirely in iPhone CarPlay settings and reconnecting. Gigantic pain in the ***. This has actually caused me to use the Lexus UI more than the $650 Grom unit, which is quite upsetting.
- Why do I need to totally forget the Grom unit in iPhone CarPlay settings to connect to the hotspot to use internet on the Grom? If I don't forget CarPlay, it keeps trying to connect and Grom disconnects from my iPhone hotspot. Anyone running iPhone Shortcuts to handle this better?
My CarPlay connects easily. I've never had to forget the iPhone in settings.

- Sound quality via wired and wireless CarPlay sucks, so I'm using the workaround where my iPhone is connected to the Lexus Bluetooth, but I can use CarPlay to still control it.
Sound is equal for any setting: Lexus Bluetooth, wireless CarPlay, Android Grom UI apps (YouTube).

- Grom was able to make climate controls pop up at the top when adjusting settings - wouldn't a volume pop up seem more useful? Why isn't that an option?
Climate makes sense to switch to Lexus UI - so you can see fan speed / A/C on/off / vent mode / etc.
It would be rather annoying to switch to Lexus UI everytime volume is adjusted. I don't need a volume pop up indicating volume level either as I adjust volume based on how loud it is and not the number. I prefer the clean look to turn the **** and not having a pop up to distract whatever is currently on the screen.
​​
Old 11-03-21, 01:23 PM
Doge2021
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Grom unit is great when CarPlay works, hate it when it doesn’t load and I go into the grom UI and CarPlay is grayed out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Doge2021:
greys0uled (02-10-22), zgadson1 (11-03-21)
Old 11-03-21, 07:05 PM
zgadson1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Doge2021
Grom unit is great when CarPlay works, hate it when it doesn’t load and I go into the grom UI and CarPlay is grayed out.
This. This times a thousand. Thank you both for confirming it’s not just me.
The following 2 users liked this post by zgadson1:
Doge2021 (11-04-21), greys0uled (02-10-22)
Old 11-03-21, 11:22 PM
djovaniii
Rookie

The climate control pop-up is not possible at the moment for my RX450, so I have to switch to the radio, to see the temperature. For the volume, I don't need it, as it is shown on the HUD.
More strangely, it used to run fine for me when starts, but since the last half a year, I have to switch to radio and back to media to start it.
Old 11-12-21, 07:19 AM
zgadson1
Rookie

Still having every single one of these problems and I'm so frustrated. Thoughts?

I feel like I've had an overall negative experience with the Grom Vline2 in my 2018 IS350, and Grom hasn't done much except to tell me to make sure the firmware is updated (which it is), so I'd love some guidance if anyone else has experienced the following:

- Today while attempting to install the BlackVue dashcam app on the VLine, the setup process was going fine until it came time to connect to the camera from the BlackVue app. It found the camera automatically (awesome), but wouldn't let me scroll down far enough to click Save, as though it's not showing the whole screen somehow. I have font & display set to the smallest setting which helped to see more of the screen, but still can't scroll down. The zoom buttons in the column on the left side of the screen do nothing, and using the up/down arrows to rotate through the buttons skips whatever is hidden off screen. (This is the image below).

I want to like the Grom unit, but right now I'm incredibly disappointed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wiggling the joystick:
Video here

Sound quality/speaker static - sounds like interference?:
Video here
Old 11-13-21, 06:39 PM
Dotslash
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Still having every single one of these problems and I'm so frustrated. Thoughts?
Unfortunately 6/7 of them I just deal with and have been for a few years now. Mine is hardwired to my grom so no wireless - and luckily I've had no issues at all with connecting - only the occasional startup of vehicle that i have to wiggle the joystick.

The one that i can comment on and take blame away from grom is the hotspot not showing.
Grom remembers my iPhone hotspot SSID and password, but has never connected to my iPhone automatically - not even once- even though I have "enable WiFi on boot" turned on.
This isn't a grom issue - but rather iPhone functionality. Grab a device with a wireless NIC on it and leave your phone locked - it wont see the hotspot. Unlock your iPhone and put it on the hotspot screen and it then sees it. By default - iPhone's don't broadcast SSID unless you're on the screen in your iPhone settings (Hotspot screen).
zgadson1 (11-29-21)
Old 11-15-21, 12:48 PM
maclem8223
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Biggest issue I still have is the shaky as hell screen that is not even usable when in reverse, can barely see the camera. And when I navigate back to the oem main menu, screen is also completely unreadable which has pretty much kept me from reconnecting my new phone to BT. I'm pretty sure someone said on here an updated cable can fix this but I haven't checked in to this thread in forever and it got huge lol.

Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed