GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-21, 01:09 PM
Dotslash
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by maclem8223
Biggest issue I still have is the shaky as hell screen that is not even usable when in reverse, can barely see the camera. And when I navigate back to the oem main menu, screen is also completely unreadable which has pretty much kept me from reconnecting my new phone to BT. I'm pretty sure someone said on here an updated cable can fix this but I haven't checked in to this thread in forever and it got huge lol.
Shaky screen? What year/model? I have no issues with reverse camera or anything like what you mentioned. 2018 GS 350 F AWD - iPhone 13 Pro in carplay wired
Old 11-15-21, 01:42 PM
maclem8223
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

2014. Shaky screen as in just flashes like crazy when in reverse and when on the oem screen. Oem main menu screen will be ok itself, but as soon as I click on something it goes nuts.. Sorry, could have used some better wording there initially. Edit: I've had the unit for almost 2 years now and it's been like this from the start. Used to look forward to updates hoping one would fix it, never did. Read on here at some point about someone upgrading the wiring or even making their own cable (don't remember) and that fixed it but I know I'm not the only one that had the issue.

Last edited by maclem8223; 11-15-21 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-15-21, 02:47 PM
xvimalx
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree. We're going into 2022 and no reason why Grom should be so unreliable. My experience has definitely been subpar on my 2014 RXh. Great when it works. The worst when it doesn't. Two very extremes.
The following users liked this post:
zgadson1 (11-29-21)
Old 11-21-21, 11:45 AM
medsaver
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Does Carplay automatically launch on startup or are you guys clicking on the Carplay icon? I scanned up thread, but didn't see an answer.
Old 12-27-21, 08:26 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by medsaver
Does Carplay automatically launch on startup or are you guys clicking on the Carplay icon? I scanned up thread, but didn't see an answer.
It's automatic for me, you can set it to automatic or manual.
Old 12-27-21, 08:27 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Do I need the antenna if I'm using maps with CarPlay from my iPhone?
Old 01-10-22, 07:19 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Basically they flash the screen back to OEM interface every time a Climate Change was made. It's annoying as hell, so I've turned off that feature.
This has been bugging me and I didn't know it could be turned off until now! Thank God for this forum, I love you all.
Old 01-10-22, 07:33 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

I mounted the Grom under my glove box with velcro. Didn't have to remove the glovebox, just dropped all the cables through the (A/C?) hole. Tucked away and not a problem for the passenger.

This is the lazy way but I think it worked well

Old 01-10-22, 09:41 PM
Doge2021
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by greys0uled
This has been bugging me and I didn't know it could be turned off until now! Thank God for this forum, I love you all.
How did you do that? Almost every time I start the car I have to press the climate up or down for grom/CarPlay to show lol.
Old 01-11-22, 08:25 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Originally Posted by Doge2021
How did you do that? Almost every time I start the car I have to press the climate up or down for grom/CarPlay to show lol.
To show? Grom should boot up automatically if the radio is left in Aux mode (that's where it runs through). You press the media button to switch to Grom if you're in the OE interface. I still have my phone connected to the OE bluetooth in the car just so the cellular signal shows at the top right side of the 12.3 screen, but I set the OE bluetooth to not automatically have my phone switch to it for Audio output.

You can set up CarPlay to launch automatically, screenshot from thread below

If you don't want the screen to flash back to OEM interface every time a Climate Change is made you need to uncheck the below setting in Grom main menu

Hope this answers your question?

Credit to the wonderful people above in the thread.

Last edited by greys0uled; 01-11-22 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Spelling/Detail
Old 01-12-22, 12:25 AM
lilboi
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Doge2021
I have the same issue. It doesn’t relate to the toggle described above. I think this was a bug that was later introduced (within the last 6 months). For awhile it flawlessly booted up into the vline unit and if carplay connected, it would switch. Even after they added the climate control momentary toggle it would still boot up correctly but somewhere down the line they introduced this bug.

Additionally they took out the ability to quick toggle to the oem interface via menu hold down. pretty annoying.
Old 01-12-22, 12:28 AM
lilboi
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by greys0uled

they have this since some of the newer models don’t have physical buttons or displays on the dash. so they only way you can see what vent mode you’re in is to view it on the oem display.
You still can’t easily toggle AC or sync dual climates on the RX. So it’s a half baked feature, better than not having the ac display toggle for those that need it.
Old 01-12-22, 06:48 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Originally Posted by lilboi
they have this since some of the newer models don’t have physical buttons or displays on the dash. so they only way you can see what vent mode you’re in is to view it on the oem display.
You still can’t easily toggle AC or sync dual climates on the RX. So it’s a half baked feature, better than not having the ac display toggle for those that need it.
On the GS there's split screen so I have the climate controls shown on the right side.
Old 01-12-22, 06:49 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Originally Posted by lilboi
I have the same issue. It doesn’t relate to the toggle described above. I think this was a bug that was later introduced (within the last 6 months). For awhile it flawlessly booted up into the vline unit and if carplay connected, it would switch. Even after they added the climate control momentary toggle it would still boot up correctly but somewhere down the line they introduced this bug.

Additionally they took out the ability to quick toggle to the oem interface via menu hold down. pretty annoying.
I would reset your Grom firmware via the usb drive method.
Old 01-12-22, 10:37 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

I don't post in here anymore since moving on to a new car, but good to see this thread is still helpful to new people. Keep it going y'all..and enjoy! I'm loving GROM in my new car. It's working flawlessly in last 2 years...not a single issue for me.
The following users liked this post:
greys0uled (01-12-22)

Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed