GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-22, 09:37 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by mtucci3
I researched both GROM and BeatSonic, and ended up going with BeatSonic. The reviews I read about amazing customer service were true. Completely amazing.

Very easy to use and CarPlay is actually supported with BS. For sound quality, I'm not an audiophile, but have a great ear from years of using high end equipment. It sounds pretty good to be honest. Someone that critiques SQ, looking for flat signals, etc., may think differently. But, for an average listener, you won't be able to tell.
Does Beatsonic have Wireless CarPlay? I'm about done with my Grom.
Old 02-12-22, 08:34 PM
mtucci3
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by greys0uled
@greys0uled It does not. It's all wired. But, I'd say it's 100% worth it. I never have any issues. Sound quality is great (with a ground loop isolator on the aux input) and overall functionality is completely integrated.
Old 02-12-22, 09:06 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,057 Posts

@greys0uled It does not. It's all wired. But, I'd say it's 100% worth it. I never have any issues. Sound quality is great (with a ground loop isolator on the aux input) and overall functionality is completely integrated.
The wired connection would have a better audio sound quality than bluetooth connection.
Old 02-12-22, 09:13 PM
mtucci3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgscott
The wired connection would have a better audio sound quality than bluetooth connection.
Yes, it will. The BeatSonic unit uses the AUX input through the CarPlay unit though, rather than directly from the lightning connection.
Old 02-13-22, 07:39 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Yes, it will. The BeatSonic unit uses the AUX input through the CarPlay unit though, rather than directly from the lightning connection.
Yep that would be a wired connection.
Old 02-13-22, 07:41 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

I believe Wireless CarPlay uses WiFi, not Bluetooth, so the quality shouldn't be too different or different at all compared to Wired
Old 02-13-22, 07:48 AM
mtucci3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgscott
Yep that would be a wired connection.
I knew what you meant brother :-) Just stating that a "wired" connection could be defined differently, resulting in a different sound response (whether it can be audibly distinguished or not)
Old 02-15-22, 08:45 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Funny I said this, been experiencing multiple issues with my Grom the last couple of weeks. Spent about an hour in my garage Friday night working on it and got everything corrected it seems. Had to factory reset a few times, unplug power, and then was able to upgrade to the latest firmware finally without my back camera disabling. Now every issue is resolved and its been working flawlessly the last couple days.

We'll see how it holds up. This system is great when it works but a pain when it doesn't.
Also, audio quality sounds pretty good to me though the Aux, I'm using Wireless CarPlay as well.
Old 02-16-22, 01:10 AM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Funny I said this, been experiencing multiple issues with my Grom the last couple of weeks. Spent about an hour in my garage Friday night working on it and got everything corrected it seems. Had to factory reset a few times, unplug power, and then was able to upgrade to the latest firmware finally without my back camera disabling. Now every issue is resolved and its been working flawlessly the last couple days.

We'll see how it holds up. This system is great when it works but a pain when it doesn't.
Also, audio quality sounds pretty good to me though the Aux, I'm using Wireless CarPlay as well.
Glad to hear it. Honestly I was pretty shocked to hear how much trouble it was giving you. It used to be super buggy and I was hesitant to recommend it to people, but it has been really solid for me for the last year or so and I am quick to recommend it now. It seems once they got all the features added that they wanted they were able to start hunting the bugs down.

I hope the same will be true for you. Like you said, when it works it’s great. Truth be told it has really stifled my desire to get a newer car. No factory system is as capable as the GROM unit is and is a big part of why I love this car as much as I do. If you resolved the issues then I think you’ll agree.
The following 2 users liked this post by OUT FOX EM:
greys0uled (02-20-22), gromaudio (03-02-22)
Old 02-19-22, 12:12 PM
xvimalx
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Updated to the latest firmware and software today. Fixed my rear camera issue that I've been having and failing to launch at startup. No more updates for me. I'm locked into this version. Took a year and a half to fix this issue.

I totally understand those that are at their tail end with Grom but the unit when it works is great!
Old 02-20-22, 03:08 AM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by xvimalx
Updated to the latest firmware and software today. Fixed my rear camera issue that I've been having and failing to launch at startup. No more updates for me. I'm locked into this version. Took a year and a half to fix this issue.

I totally understand those that are at their tail end with Grom but the unit when it works is great!
This is a very important point. Once you get it working and stable, you shouldn't update. There's just no reason to.
The following users liked this post:
bloodbean (02-22-22)
Old 02-20-22, 07:38 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Originally Posted by xvimalx

Pretty much same here. Was able to upgrade to the latest firmware for the first time without my backup cam disabling. I definitely won't be messing with it anymore, it's working flawlessly right now.
Old 03-01-22, 04:27 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Today I hopped in my GS and started playing music through Wireless CarPlay and it sounded worse than normal, very static-y and just not as clear and crisp as it normally does.. Then I swapped back and forth between the Grom and OE BT & USB and i could definitely hear a difference

I finally understand what those who were comparing about the Aux sound quality mean

But the thing is it sounded fine before so I’m wondering what could have changed? I’m gonna unplug the Grom and check for loose connections and such

Last edited by greys0uled; 03-01-22 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-02-22, 12:55 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Today I hopped in my GS and started playing music through Wireless CarPlay and it sounded worse than normal, very static-y and just not as clear and crisp as it normally does.. Then I swapped back and forth between the Grom and OE BT & USB and i could definitely hear a difference

I finally understand what those who were comparing about the Aux sound quality mean

But the thing is it sounded fine before so I’m wondering what could have changed? I’m gonna unplug the Grom and check for loose connections and such
Lower down the main Sound volume one notch. Settings -> Sound -> Media Volume
The following 3 users liked this post by gromaudio:
greys0uled (04-03-22), ill57 (03-16-22), Niralsp88 (03-03-22)
Old 03-02-22, 02:06 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

oh wow @gromaudio finally grace us with a post in this thread. I should get a referral fee or something for starting this thread and spreading the free advertisement for you GROM
The following 2 users liked this post by jdpdata:
greys0uled (03-03-22), Niralsp88 (03-02-22)

Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed