GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-19, 11:03 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by c2fordy5
I have a 2017 Gs350 F Sport with the ML Audio. Unfortunately Lexus started the full screen mode with the 2016+ models. So the 2015 won't be able to stretch the 12.3
So if you want to adjust the A/C controls on the screen you have to hit 'Radio' to switch back to OE menu? Can you set the right side 1/3 to display OE menu - when you do this does VL2 shrink the interface to fit left side 2/3 of the screen?
Be curious to see how this works. Pretty sure other 2016+ owners will want to see this.
Old 03-13-19, 11:04 AM
c2fordy5
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
@c2fordy5 Wow, that looks great on your 2016+ GS 12.3" screen. Love that VL2 use the full screen wish I can do this on my 2015.
Since VL2 doesn't have a SIM card, you can't directly dial from it. You'll still have to use OEM phone menu to make/receive calls.
When I need to make a call, I just dial directly from my phone. Unfortunately voice commands don't work to initiate phone calls, again because VL2 doesn't have a SIM. I believe if you're in CarPlay/Android Auto, it should sync with your phone since you're plug-in via USB cable. Test out making phone calls in CarPlay and let us know if it works.
@jdpdata Yeah, it looks great on the 12.3 screen. Youtube looks even better. I will post some videos soon.
You are correct about the SIM situation and that led me to rely on CarPlay for the most part since I hated that the screen would jump back to the OEM for phone calls. Calls on CarPlay work great along with all the CarPlay features.

CarPlay has a setting where you can set the app to Manually or Automatically. When it's on Manually, you can connect your lightning cable to your phone and the CarPlay app icon changes from gray to green and waiting for you to open it. When it is set to Automatically, the minute you plug the lightning cable, CarPlay screen launches automatically. I have mine set to manually so I can choose when to use CarPlay whenever I want instead, and the phone can charge at the same time I'm using another app on the VL2
The following users liked this post:
jdpdata (03-13-19)
Old 03-13-19, 11:13 AM
c2fordy5
Driver

So if you want to adjust the A/C controls on the screen you have to hit 'Radio' to switch back to OE menu? Can you set the right side 1/3 to display OE menu - when you do this does VL2 shrink the interface to fit left side 2/3 of the screen?
Be curious to see how this works. Pretty sure other 2016+ owners will want to see this.
I just use the buttons on the radio to adjust the A/C controls. All the button are there and the little LCDs let me know what the temp is set to. The newer GSs have the auto climate capability. So it does adjust to give you warm or cold air base on what the outside temp is no matter what you set the temp to. The only thing I wish is that when I adjust the temp the little indication on the top of the screen would show up but that isn't the case.

As far the option to split the screen to have the 1/3 OE menu, I am not sure if that's possible yet. I will poke around and see if that's possible. I'll let you know.

Last edited by c2fordy5; 03-13-19 at 11:37 AM.
jdpdata (03-13-19)
Old 03-13-19, 11:21 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

@c2fordy5 Thanks for reporting in. You're the first 2016+ owner with VL2 that I know of. I'm sure lots of folks with MY16+ will have more questions for you on how things works. So far the integration looks great! Kudos to @gromaudio . This thread is getting more comprehensive info thanks to folks like you, unlike the ISF thread where lots of people are complaining about this and that...useless waste of time!
c2fordy5 (03-13-19)
Old 03-13-19, 11:35 AM
c2fordy5
Driver

@c2fordy5 Thanks for reporting in. You're the first 2016+ owner with VL2 that I know of. I'm sure lots of folks with MY16+ will have more questions for you on how things works. So far the integration looks great! Kudos to @gromaudio . This thread is getting more comprehensive info thanks to folks like you, unlike the ISF thread where lots of people are complaining about this and that...useless waste of time!
My pleasure man! The big thank you goes to you actually. Your positive attitude toward that unit has helped me with my decision. I follow that other thread also and if it were for it, I would not have bought the VL2. Bottom line, those things will glitch. No system can be perfect. Grom is technically hacking the Lexus OEM system to give you this awesome alternative. The good thing is, @gromaudio customer support is great. They are responsive and when you tell them of a problem, it looks like they have things in place to test and verify, then, fix and send something in the form of OTA update or whatever. You do not feel alone at all. Big thumbs up to @gromaudio for their customer support.

Last edited by c2fordy5; 03-13-19 at 11:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by c2fordy5:
DaveGS4 (03-13-19), jdpdata (03-13-19)
Old 03-13-19, 12:04 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

@c2fordy5 It's amazing that they are able to get this hack working so stable with all the integration with Lexus OE Infotainment. They were able to upgrade from Android 5.1 > 8.1 in a few short months. I don't know any other Android based OE supplier out there that can do that. GROM probably don't have a huge workforce like Google or Samsung, but their support has been great so far. I get software/firmware updates pretty regularly, almost every couple days something is released, so I know GROM developers are actively working on making this much more stable.

Lots of those ISF guys are complaining about paying for $15-20 fee to upgrade to 8.1. I think GROM should post the update and let them flash it by themselves, without warranty if something goes wrong. Those guys have no idea what it takes to update Android to a major version. And going from an older 5.1 to 8.1 is a huge ordeal. There are bootloader/recovery to flash, and if they're not careful, they can easily brick their devices. For $20, it's a small price to pay to ensure a much safer upgrade path. At least GROM is offering them an upgrade. It's like buying a Samsung Galaxy S6 from years ago, and asking Samsung to provide free update to Android Pie..it just doesn't happen.
Old 03-13-19, 12:11 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts
Talking

@c2fordy5 It's amazing that they are able to get this hack working so stable with all the integration with Lexus OE Infotainment. They were able to upgrade from Android 5.1 > 8.1 in a few short months. I don't know any other Android based OE supplier out there that can do that. GROM probably don't have a huge workforce like Google or Samsung, but their support has been great so far. I get software/firmware updates pretty regularly, almost every couple days something is released, so I know GROM developers are actively working on making this much more stable.

Lots of those ISF guys are complaining about paying for $15-20 fee to upgrade to 8.1. I think GROM should post the update and let them flash it by themselves, without warranty if something goes wrong. Those guys have no idea what it takes to update Android to a major version. And going from an older 5.1 to 8.1 is a huge ordeal. There are bootloader/recovery to flash, and if they're not careful, they can easily brick their devices. For $20, it's a small price to pay to ensure a much safer upgrade path. At least GROM is offering them an upgrade. It's like buying a Samsung Galaxy S6 from years ago, and asking Samsung to provide free update to Android Pie..it just doesn't happen.

AND thus the reason why I left Android oke: updates are few and far between unless your running a google device. Funny thing is a use all of Google's services on a iPhone, just not their hardware; I think this is common in the bay area. Even Googlers use Apple devices at the HQ, much more than you would think

/rant
/starting random fanboi arguments lol

But anyhow, does Airplay work now? I know @gromaudio promised some addtional functionality, when this would happen I am unsure. I would love to know if you could test , since you have a new device. I am going to get the VL2, just want to know if I should wait for Airplay.
Old 03-13-19, 01:37 PM
c2fordy5
Driver

That is very true. Those guys are definitely working their butt off to get you few little add-ons here and there. A major update is always a big deal and being an iOS user, I am very spoiled to get them free from Apple but I don’t see paying the $15-$20 a big deal or a deal breaker for me knowing that I’ll get the support behind it. So those ISF guys can stay complaining about that and continue to use that boring Lexus infotainment. I’m very happy with the GROM system
Old 03-13-19, 01:41 PM
c2fordy5
Driver

Plugin added

TV VLINE from the phone
Originally Posted by bob256k
AND thus the reason why I left Android oke: updates are few and far between unless your running a google device. Funny thing is a use all of Google's services on a iPhone, just not their hardware; I think this is common in the bay area. Even Googlers use Apple devices at the HQ, much more than you would think

/rant
/starting random fanboi arguments lol

But anyhow, does Airplay work now? I know @gromaudio promised some addtional functionality, when this would happen I am unsure. I would love to know if you could test , since you have a new device. I am going to get the VL2, just want to know if I should wait for Airplay.
AirPlay is available as a plugin and does show on your phone as an option but it doesn’t project/work yet. Check out the pictures below...
Old 03-13-19, 01:59 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-30-19, 08:03 PM
xvimalx
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Did anyone get the CarPlay feature to work on the VL2?
Old 03-30-19, 08:08 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

CarPlay works, though unofficially. Check out GROM's demo videos. @xvimalx check out a few posts above, c2fordy5 is running CarPlay in VL2 on his 2017 GS.
I don't use anything Apple in my household...waiting for Android Auto.

Last edited by jdpdata; 03-30-19 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-30-19, 10:08 PM
medsaver
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Updated to a more Modern Car launcher. I like the Speedo in the middle... And don't give my **** about Katy Perry. Had my little girls in the car with me, they like Katy and Taylor ��

Is this the paid version of Car Launcher? If so, can you explain the difference between the free and paid versions? I got the free version and it seems fine. Also, does anyone know if the memory card slot works to expand available space? (EDIT: Micro SD expansion up to 128gb)

Just to update, I got the VL2 installed by a car audio place. It was expensive, but they did a great job. We talked about running the GPS antenna cable up the A-pillar, but when I picked up the car, he said he just tucked it somewhere under the dash. Can't see the antenna or wires anywhere and GPS works fine. The VL2 really is worth it. I have it paired with an ATT Harman Spark with unlimited data so I don't have to deal with phone tethering/battery issues.

Last edited by medsaver; 03-30-19 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-30-19, 10:31 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

@medsaver I was using the Free version of Car Launcher. But lately it have been very unstable, force closing constantly. So I'm back using Dashlinq. I'm have 32GB USB thumb-drive plug into USB2 currently just for my offline music, not sure if GROM supports expandable storage. But honestly I don't even use it that much. I use Pandora/Spotify/iHeartRadio 99.9% of the time.

I tried to hide GPS antenna in my glove box and was have difficulties locating satellite. Mounting it with clear view of skies is best. Up in the A-pillar I don't even know it's there, very OEM-like install. How much did the shop charge you for install? It's so easy, you should've done it yourself to save the $$ for other mods. I'm such a noob at this stuff myself, but was able to do it the install with Eddie's guide of course.

Last edited by jdpdata; 03-30-19 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-30-19, 10:31 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Soo I just bought the vl2 and I am working on installing it. Where is the multi display ECU? It's that the nav screen?? I'm trying to hook up the video cable from the vl2 ; I have already run all the cables.

I'll post pictures; my final system should be pretty nifty
jdpdata (03-30-19)

Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed