GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-23, 11:24 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by 11Es350Lex
mom kind of a nerd for how my speakers sound and I have a non ML Gs, in my 2011 after installing Grom listening to music through the Grom I can actually hear my subwoofer hit when I barley used too and the kids and highs are just louder and more clear. My thought are the wiring harmesss for the audio are thicker gauge wires than the ones plugged into the head unit originally, must be able to transfer better audio quality with lower gauge wire. Instruction weren't exact I just kinda had to cross my fingers everything plugged up with 1 own connector hanging free. Very happy with system!
The gauge of the wire has little to do with it. They aren't carrying much current/volts/amps. They are carrying signal. Much the same way an ethernet cable can carry 10MBit or 10GBit over the tiny wires they do, electrical shielding is more important that huge wires.
Old 07-14-23, 03:22 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

You can adjust audio, bass and treble for the stereo VLine mode by going to the factory user interface. Here is how to:

Old 07-19-23, 02:46 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

The group buy order for VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 systems to add CarPlay and Android Auto to the factory car stereo will close tomorrow midnight. Tomorrow is the last day to join the group and place the order. If you would like to join the group buy, send us your name and email address via direct message. We will add you to the group.

You can also contact is via web form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html
Old 07-21-23, 09:38 PM
hotct
Pit Crew

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
It's only full screen if you have a 2016+ GS radio/head unit. 2013-2015 GS head unit/screen is only capable of displaying split screen.
I retrofitted a 2016 head unit/screen into my 2013 GSh and have full screen Apple Carplay with carlinkit. If I installed Grom it would also be full screen.
Just stumbled on your post. So a 2016+ headunit and screen is a direct replacement on a 2013-2015 GS? Might be worth it to get the full screen after I install the Vline2 next weekend.
Old 07-24-23, 08:17 AM
GSLex9572
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hotct
Just stumbled on your post. So a 2016+ headunit and screen is a direct replacement on a 2013-2015 GS? Might be worth it to get the full screen after I install the Vline2 next weekend.
2015 MY is plug and play. No extra wires needed or anything it just works. 2013-2014 you will need the cable from the 2016 that goes from the radio to the screen and also you will lose your factory backup camera.
The following 2 users liked this post by GSLex9572:
gromaudio (07-24-23), hotct (07-24-23)
Old 07-26-23, 10:57 AM
zr2yz125
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just learned about the VT2...looks like exactly what I wanted for my '19 GS Fsport I just picked up! Looks like I missed the group buy...Darn!

I just joined ClubLexus today!
The following users liked this post:
gromaudio (07-26-23)
Old 07-26-23, 02:41 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by zr2yz125
I just learned about the VT2...looks like exactly what I wanted for my '19 GS Fsport I just picked up! Looks like I missed the group buy...Darn!

I just joined ClubLexus today!
Contact us and we will add you to the next group, which will take place sometime in September. We might also have an active coupon code if that will help. Contact at https://gromaudio.com/support.html
Old 07-28-23, 05:56 AM
hotct
Pit Crew

Installed the GROM Vline2 yesterday in my 2014 GS 350 F Sport. Everything went incredibly smoothly. Unplugged the gray usb connector from my head unit and used the adapter to plug that into the Vline so I could use my factory USB connection in the console to do wired Android Auto. Backup camera works flawlessly, everything seems to work as it should. Only complaint would be the bass and overall music quality is noticeably lower compared to a bluetooth connection from my phone playing. If that doesn't matter to you and you just want AA and standalone Android on your GS then I recommend the Vline.
gromaudio (07-31-23)
Old 07-28-23, 05:57 AM
hotct
Pit Crew

Here is the adapter I was mentioning.

Amazon Amazon

Scosche TAUSB01B Compatible with Select 2012-16 Toyota/Lexus USB Input Retention Harness

Old 07-28-23, 08:14 PM
hotct
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by aloof
That is what I’m doing. the first thing I did was install an app on the Grom to play FLAC files directly from USB (high quality losses files- that can sound as good or better than CD if you have a good DAC). Unfortunately, there is no software can take the place of a DAC.
The Grom’s output is already converted to analog so I do not see any way you be able to use a dongle DAC as those require a digital signal input.
I’ve tested various streaming services, playing mp3 and FLAC files from USB and radio.
To me, there is a noticeable difference with anything going through the Grom vs directly to the ML system (USB -iPod connection to phone or Bluetooth). I’ve compared the exact same song side-by-side. The audio isn’t horrible by any means- there isn’t static, interference, or anything anything like it. It simply isn’t as full. It just sounds compressed. I’ve had the same experience with home audio- having a different DAC with the same amplifier and speakers can yield very different auido quality/ listening experience.
Again, this is coming from an audiophile and this is my opinion. I understand that some people will simply NOT hear a difference. I just wanted to share my experience in case there are others out there who value audio fidelity above all else…
if you want CarPlay/ Android Auto (and all the other cool stuff that these things can do) I’m afraid there is a trade off in this regard and people will have to decide what is best for them.
I think this post sums up my experience with factory bluetooth audio vs GROM audio on music. The bass is just not there on the GROM, clarity is lost as well. It's bad enough that I'll just play music over car bluetooth if that's what I'm wanting, only use the GROM for android auto stuff like maps, etc.
Old 07-31-23, 04:18 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Installed the GROM Vline2 yesterday in my 2014 GS 350 F Sport. Everything went incredibly smoothly. Unplugged the gray usb connector from my head unit and used the adapter to plug that into the Vline so I could use my factory USB connection in the console to do wired Android Auto. Backup camera works flawlessly, everything seems to work as it should. Only complaint would be the bass and overall music quality is noticeably lower compared to a bluetooth connection from my phone playing. If that doesn't matter to you and you just want AA and standalone Android on your GS then I recommend the Vline.
You might want to adjust the stereo's bass and treble for the stereo mode that VLine uses. Here is the video that explains how to:

You need to use the Factory UI plugin for it. It should help to get the optimum quality sound for VLine. Thank you for using GROM product!
Old 07-31-23, 04:20 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Using retention cable is a great idea, we also offer ours here:

https://gromaudio.com/store/vline_ac...c-vtoyusb.html

Old 07-31-23, 04:34 PM
hotct
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gromaudio
You might want to adjust the stereo's bass and treble for the stereo mode that VLine uses. Here is the video that explains how to:
https://youtu.be/5CaAZH3mmqI

You need to use the Factory UI plugin for it. It should help to get the optimum quality sound for VLine. Thank you for using GROM product!
Yep I found that after I posted. It definitely helped but bass still not as punchy on the VLine vs Bluetooth input. Still no other real complaints, just great to hop in the GS and plug in my phone to get Android Auto going with no issues.
gromaudio (08-01-23)
Old 08-02-23, 06:10 PM
mariohall
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone having an issue with their climate control after installing VLINE 2? I get an error that says "Climate control system error. Please contact your dealer". Whenever this comes on, my A/C is stuck at whatever it was set to previously, and the simple LED display showing current temp doesn't nor do the buttons to change fan speed, temp, etc. Additionally (and more importantly), whenever this comes on it also makes my backup camera not work. The parking sensors still work (thankfully). Most of the time if I drive for a bit, it fixes itself, but sometimes it's there for a whole day or longer, even if I restart the car multiple times. I've tried the trick of pressing and holding the volume button in to fully reset Lexus' infotainment, but that doesn't work either. The scariest part is that sometimes it also triggers an ABS warning. All 3 issues (climate control, backup camera, and occasionally ABS error) all happen together, and never happen separately (ie ABS never happens unless the other two are happening, and the other two happen together every time.

I brought it into a Lexus dealership a trying to see what's going on, and they said it's a connection issue with the aftermarket carplay system (VLINE). They told me to take it back to the place I had my VLINE installed. I have an appointment scheduled with them, but in the meantime -- has anyone else had this problem?

Otherwise, things work pretty well, except wireless carplay causes the whole thing to crash occasionally and reboot. It always happens in the same places/roads, too, which is weird. Just a lot of wireless interference, maybe?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-03-23, 08:30 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by mariohall
Anyone having an issue with their climate control after installing VLINE 2? I get an error that says "Climate control system error. Please contact your dealer". Whenever this comes on, my A/C is stuck at whatever it was set to previously, and the simple LED display showing current temp doesn't nor do the buttons to change fan speed, temp, etc. Additionally (and more importantly), whenever this comes on it also makes my backup camera not work. The parking sensors still work (thankfully). Most of the time if I drive for a bit, it fixes itself, but sometimes it's there for a whole day or longer, even if I restart the car multiple times. I've tried the trick of pressing and holding the volume button in to fully reset Lexus' infotainment, but that doesn't work either. The scariest part is that sometimes it also triggers an ABS warning. All 3 issues (climate control, backup camera, and occasionally ABS error) all happen together, and never happen separately (ie ABS never happens unless the other two are happening, and the other two happen together every time.

I brought it into a Lexus dealership a trying to see what's going on, and they said it's a connection issue with the aftermarket carplay system (VLINE). They told me to take it back to the place I had my VLINE installed. I have an appointment scheduled with them, but in the meantime -- has anyone else had this problem?

Otherwise, things work pretty well, except wireless carplay causes the whole thing to crash occasionally and reboot. It always happens in the same places/roads, too, which is weird. Just a lot of wireless interference, maybe?

Thanks in advance!
We would recommend two steps first:
1. Reboot the VLine system as it is shown here:

2. Check for the latest available firmware and software updates and apply them (if available):

If after reboot and firmware/software update, you still experience the issue, contact GROM technical team at https://gromaudio.com We will look further into it.

There is no need to go back to the shop unless they did a mistake with the installation. They will not be able to help you on the software/functionality side of the system. The best is always to contact our friendly support team. It might be the chance the shop disconnected the AC plug by mistake, but so far from what you described it does not look like it.

Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed