GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Power folding side mirror failure - $1014

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-19, 10:03 PM
CTNYC
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Power folding side mirror failure - $1014

Had my power folding side mirror fail (would fold in without any issues, but when it came to fold out, it would stop about half way). The dealership diagnosed this as a motor failure with a repair cost of $1014 and some change. My CPO and extended Lexus Platinum warranty will cover this

This brings up the total that the L/Certified warranty has paid out to over $5300 (previous repairs have been: fix rattling window switch on driver door (40k miles), engine mount & steering rack & pinion assembly replacement (70k miles), and now the mirror (86k miles)

Purchased the car in 2016 w/ 33k miles on it and Lexus warranty until 12/2024 w/ unlimited miles, have 86k miles on it now. New job has me commuting a lot more now - estimated 30k miles/yr.
Old 02-09-19, 10:09 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,159 Likes on 855 Posts

Glad they covered it because that seems expensive...just curious as what was the fix? Did they replace the entire mirror assembly or just the motor?
Old 02-09-19, 10:12 PM
CTNYC
Rookie

Definitely pricey - probably would have just turned off the power folding mirror (or tried to buy a new motor online and DIY it) if I had to pay for it out of pocket. The dealership is doing is full assembly replacement. Have to go back next weekend to get the repair done (they had to order parts)
Old 02-10-19, 06:51 AM
VA75067
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CTNYC
Had my power folding side mirror fail (would fold in without any issues, but when it came to fold out, it would stop about half way). The dealership diagnosed this as a motor failure with a repair cost of $1014 and some change. My CPO and extended Lexus Platinum warranty will cover this

This brings up the total that the L/Certified warranty has paid out to over $5300 (previous repairs have been: fix rattling window switch on driver door (40k miles), engine mount & steering rack & pinion assembly replacement (70k miles), and now the mirror (86k miles)

Purchased the car in 2016 w/ 33k miles on it and Lexus warranty until 12/2024 w/ unlimited miles, have 86k miles on it now. New job has me commuting a lot more now - estimated 30k miles/yr.
Curious.. what was the problem with the engine mount , steering rack ? Would this be something covered in the 7/72 engine transmission warranty ?
Old 02-10-19, 07:52 AM
CTNYC
Rookie

Originally Posted by VA75067

Curious.. what was the problem with the engine mount , steering rack ? Would this be something covered in the 7/72 engine transmission warranty ?
It was whining under light acceleration on AWD models. Not positive about which warranty it would technically fall under.

more info on this issue here: http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=192696
Old 02-10-19, 07:58 AM
VA75067
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It was whining under light acceleration on AWD models. Not positive about which warranty it would technically fall under.

more info on this issue here: http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=192696
thanks. I have a non-cpo 2015 rwd f sport and the basic warranty runs out about August timeframe. I am debating if I need to purchase the extended warranty.
Old 02-10-19, 08:03 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

What year is the car and how many miles on the car when it failed? Just curious i hope mine doesn't fail but i also have extended warranty so shouldn't be an issue. Glad to see they are fixing it for you
Old 02-10-19, 08:58 AM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

“Rattling” window switch & “whining noise” under slight acceleration...

LOL, literally every other car when new, but because y’all are Lexus owners and have been way beyond pampered, everyone starts freaking out! Hahahhha!

You our guys are too much sometimes!
Old 02-10-19, 10:06 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike552

LOL, literally every other car when new, but because y’all are Lexus owners and have been way beyond pampered, everyone starts freaking out! Hahahhha!

I dunno, a car this expensive shouldn't have rattles in the cabin when relatively new. What good is a quiet cabin if all it does is make you hear the rattles inside better? Seems like the dealer fixed these two issues that you don't think are problems... which means they found something wrong with it too. If stuff like this doesn't bother you, fine, but you shouldn't make fun of other people for wanting their expensive car to perform as such.
Old 02-10-19, 04:19 PM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

hong kong dealer solution to everything is replace the part....."Oh you had a dent in the side panel....it will be replaced....cost is around 22k (3k USD)"
Old 02-10-19, 05:11 PM
CTNYC
Rookie

Originally Posted by gs350lex
What year is the car and how many miles on the car when it failed? Just curious i hope mine doesn't fail but i also have extended warranty so shouldn't be an issue. Glad to see they are fixing it for you
2014 model year (mfg was 09/2013 IIRC) - Failed around 84k miles. Feeling like it's a one-off and not common - looked for issues on CL and reddit and didnt see any real mention of the motor failing recently on various Lexus models

Lol - my girlfriend gave me crap for this too The rattle was annoying b/c it would rattle like crazy with music on... the whine didn't bother me as much, but hey, the car was gonna be in the shop for 3-4 days anyways and this is exactly why I bought a Lexus & the extended warranty (Lexus covers a lot more than Mercedes & Infiniti, the other 2 brands that offered unlimited mile warranty at the time). Also, my 2010 TL w/ 160k miles had no squeaks or rattles when I sold it (aside from bad rear shocks that popped up ~140k miles, but that is more wear & tear imo)... But my Accord came off the line rattling like crazy and the ILX was squeaking when turning onto an incline... things that don't happen with the TL or the GS
Old 02-10-19, 06:57 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,159 Likes on 855 Posts

2014 model year (mfg was 09/2013 IIRC) - Failed around 84k miles. Feeling like it's a one-off and not common - looked for issues on CL and reddit and didnt see any real mention of the motor failing recently on various Lexus models

Lol - my girlfriend gave me crap for this too The rattle was annoying b/c it would rattle like crazy with music on... the whine didn't bother me as much, but hey, the car was gonna be in the shop for 3-4 days anyways and this is exactly why I bought a Lexus & the extended warranty (Lexus covers a lot more than Mercedes & Infiniti, the other 2 brands that offered unlimited mile warranty at the time). Also, my 2010 TL w/ 160k miles had no squeaks or rattles when I sold it (aside from bad rear shocks that popped up ~140k miles, but that is more wear & tear imo)... But my Accord came off the line rattling like crazy and the ILX was squeaking when turning onto an incline... things that don't happen with the TL or the GS
I had the AWD whine under light-moderate throttle fixed under the powertrain warranty (6yr/72k). It took them a full day but I still hear the whine right around 60mph. Its not as bad from 30-60mph anymore. I do agree that as Lexus owners, we are less tolerant as we have high expectations for the car. I mean, if I bought a German brand or Jag/Range Rover, i'd probably be way more tolerant because I'd almost expect them to be as fussy as folks says the are...
Old 02-11-19, 08:22 PM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CottageChz
I dunno, a car this expensive shouldn't have rattles in the cabin when relatively new. What good is a quiet cabin if all it does is make you hear the rattles inside better? Seems like the dealer fixed these two issues that you don't think are problems... which means they found something wrong with it too. If stuff like this doesn't bother you, fine, but you shouldn't make fun of other people for wanting their expensive car to perform as such.
Wow. Stress out much?

Good luck with fixing your Lexus. No “making fun” or disrespect intended.

Old 02-11-19, 08:33 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Member here made a youtube video with the fix using electrical tape, very simple. I used a zip tie and the rattle never came back.

Old 02-12-19, 05:36 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Wow. Stress out much?

Good luck with fixing your Lexus. No “making fun” or disrespect intended.

Lol I try not to stress too much but you know, an annoying rattle on a new 60k car would kinda bother me? FWIW I have a couple rattles in my cabin and can live with it, but I understand why it bothers people... been there, and so have tons of other people on the forum judging by posts I've seen.

Quick Reply: Power folding side mirror failure - $1014