GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

NEW 15 F Sport..... LOVING IT.... But.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-19, 03:31 PM
mrminsky
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default NEW 15 F Sport..... LOVING IT.... But.....

I had been browsing these boards for a long time and I want to thank you all for contributing with all the useful information and excellent insights about the car. I just purchased a mint 2015 F Sport (White with the dark interior) with about 27K miles from a local Atlanta dealership. I had been driving a smaller 2015 BMW 335i which has served me well and it was a blast to drive. Having said that, the car was a little too small and cramped and I really wanted a change. I looked at the larger 5 series *15/16 models) which I loved but interior looked the same as my 3 series.... I just wanted something a little different and larger.

After driving the GS350 for about a week, I am having some lower back pain. I am not sure this is related to the car, but I am feeling it. The strange things is that these the seats in this car are as comfortable as it gets although a little more padding would have been even better. They are large with lots of different adjustments. I am puzzled by this. I do not find the ride on the F Sport to be harsh or stiff, but then again, I am not really an expert. Am I wrong? I drive the car in regular D and sports mode. I have not driven it in Sports plus. Is it possible that the suspension is too stiff? Or the tires (Bridgestone Summer) are too hard. Any thoughts on this? If I were to change the tires to an all season tire, will the ride be softer?

Much appreciate it. I really love the car. It is such a beauty. It screams quality all around it

Last edited by mrminsky; 02-13-19 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-13-19, 04:01 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 403 Likes on 280 Posts

Use the lumbar adjustments, there are 2 of them! I have not experienced what you describe, the F-sport seats are great in my opinion.

You could try a larger series tire (thicker sidewall) which might bolster your comfort a little bit, or downgrade to an 18" wheel with even thicker sidewall.
Old 02-13-19, 04:31 PM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a similar experience with my F sport. It took me a while to understand all of the seat positions but I finally got her dialed in pretty good.

For reference, I’m 5’10, 225lbs... (Imagine a slightly overweight Safety, if you know football at all)

My best advice to you is take your time, and go easy on “min” and “max” positions like lateral support, etc. Just because the option to get extreme lateral support is there doesn’t mean that you should use it.

Also, whatever allows you to keep your shoulders and hips parallel to each other is probably going to be best.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-19, 04:42 PM
mrminsky
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, I have been playing for days with the settings. I am afraid, I am going to break the electronics. LOL! I should have said the seats are very comfortable. Although they could use a little more padding. You mentioned a wider tire or a smaller 18 tire with different wheels.

So if I go a little wider say, 245/40/19 and 275/35/19 in order to keep the same wheels and I go with an all season rather than a summer, will I even feel the difference or not enough to even bother with. If I were to go to 18 wheels and tires. Thoughts?

Thank you so much.
Old 02-14-19, 07:15 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 403 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by mrminsky
Yes, I have been playing for days with the settings. I am afraid, I am going to break the electronics. LOL! I should have said the seats are very comfortable. Although they could use a little more padding. You mentioned a wider tire or a smaller 18 tire with different wheels.

So if I go a little wider say, 245/40/19 and 275/35/19 in order to keep the same wheels and I go with an all season rather than a summer, will I even feel the difference or not enough to even bother with. If I were to go to 18 wheels and tires. Thoughts?

Thank you so much.
You can definitely run those tire sizes, in that they will fit, but I don't think it'll do much to be honest. I'm unsure of the ride quality difference between an all season and a summer; I always assumed the biggest difference between those is grip and weather performance.

A smaller wheel will help more than anything, or air suspension lol.
Old 02-14-19, 11:13 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by mrminsky

Thank you so much.
Tires aren’t the issue, it’s ergonomics. Relation of arms to hips to shoulders to legs to knees to etc. Resting or not resting your elbows or knees or ankles or shoulder, etc. You can keep going. I always get back aches if I don’t sit “ just right”. The pain is your body adjusting to a new seating or resting position.

I have too much legs and not enough torso, so if my legs are comfy, I have to stretch for the steering wheel. If I can reach the wheel comfortably, my hips, knees and ankles are out of whack. It took me a couple of weeks to find a good position and then find the resolve to stop adjusting the seat every time I jumped in the car.

Good luck to you....
Old 02-14-19, 05:53 PM
IcyBishop
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts

I find with all cars it takes me and my body some time getting used to the seats and dialing them in "just right".
Since the GS has so many adjustments it took a bit longer to find the sweet spot. Be patient, make slight adjustments, and then see how you feel every few days.