GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Accelerated rear tire wear... especially on one side (picture)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-19, 05:48 PM
habitual
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by np20412
Mods should lock this thread. Dude is obviously a troll if he is a) fixing that tire with rubber cement and continuing to drive 40 miles a day at freeway speeds and b) placing a directional tire in the wrong orientation and hoping to simply "avoid" rain.

What the actual F.
it was funny how a couple dudes took it seriously.

Car is sitting in driveway until Discount has my new Enkies and rubber next week. It's like 4 miles to Discount, I will probably put the donut on for that. Then to the dealer for their alignment and inspection. I jacked the car up today and looked, both rears are damn near bald. The right side inner edge is definitely worse. I'm hoping it is just out of alignment. I tried moving the wheel back and forth when it was on the jackstands and it was solid so hopefully nothing is worn out and failed, just bad alignment. We will see.

rubber cement ROFL

Old 02-16-19, 05:59 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by habitual

rubber cement ROFL

The following users liked this post:
Knucklebus (02-17-19)
Old 02-16-19, 06:53 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Wow that's a pretty messed up tire. During my first glance, I thought someone doodled all over your pic.

Others who already responded are right. First, that tire needs to go and the vehicle is really not road worthy at its present condition. You can probably drive locally but I would not sit in your car if you were going to go on the freeway. That tire can blow at any time. Next, you need to go to a good alignment shop and have the alignment checked. It looks like excessive negative camber to me. But, it can also be too much toe out on that wheel. Once you get the vehicle on the alignment rack, have them print you out the pre and post adjustment settings, you can post on the board here for us to see and we can figure out where to go. Maybe the alignment shop can make the necessary adjustments and that would be the end of it. Worse case scenario is that you have bent suspension linkages which threw the alignment off.... can also be frame damage from a prior collision.

In summary, your wheel is not pointing in the right direction. The question is why.
Old 02-18-19, 03:52 AM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Car is sitting in driveway until Discount has my new Enkies and rubber next week. It's like 4 miles to Discount, I will probably put the donut on for that. Then to the dealer for their alignment and inspection. I jacked the car up today and looked, both rears are damn near bald. The right side inner edge is definitely worse. I'm hoping it is just out of alignment. I tried moving the wheel back and forth when it was on the jackstands and it was solid so hopefully nothing is worn out and failed, just bad alignment. We will see.

rubber cement ROFL
I too went to Discount Tire when i had unusual wear. As i mentioned my wear was not as bad but Discount Tire didn’t let me leave with out at least loaning me a used tire until they got my new tires in. I have been going to them for all my tire needs for years. May want to see if that is something they would do.
Old 02-18-19, 06:21 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

rubber cement ROFL
Ok, I admit, I was suckered... good one
Old 02-21-19, 09:34 AM
habitual
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

H

Here is the before and after on alignment
The following users liked this post:
kode3 (02-21-19)
Old 02-21-19, 09:39 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

H

That's good news looks like your toe was really out of wack. I doubt they checked/adjusted the alignment when you purchased or you hit some really bad potholes.
Old 02-21-19, 10:31 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

H

You still have a lot of rear camber, which they can't fix without camber arms. You, like I, had more camber in the rear than the front. Also, your rear toe didn't change much but they equalized it. Did you car track slightly to one side from the rear before?

Keep an eye on the tire wear. With that much rear camber, it could still cause similar issues.
Old 02-21-19, 10:53 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
You still have a lot of rear camber, which they can't fix without camber arms. You, like I, had more camber in the rear than the front. Also, your rear toe didn't change much but they equalized it. Did you car track slightly to one side from the rear before?

Keep an eye on the tire wear. With that much rear camber, it could still cause similar issues.
That rear camber angle after they corrected it is normal for this car. No need to waste money on unnecessary camber arms. That's the way they designed it for this car. The really off Toe is what caused the uneven tire wear.

Here is alignment I did 2 years ago on new tires, no uneven tire wear, rotate every 10k/oil change. It was nice they were able to pretty much zero out the toe.

Last edited by peasodos; 02-21-19 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-21-19, 12:28 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

I never said he had to do it now. I said keep an eye on it. There is a solution if it continues to be a problem.