GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Car Won't Start (2013 350 GS F Sport)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 09:51 AM
turpinator
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Won't Start (2013 350 GS F Sport)

I went to get into my car and latch the seat belt. The seats didn't auto adjust at all, so something was amiss. Hit the start button on the car and all that happened was the check engine light came on along with the BSM LED. The check engine light eventually went off, but I can press the BSM button lights up but flickers.

I just replaced the battery a few months ago. The car started on Tuesday, it sat all day Wednesday, and now just won't start at all. It's been cold, but not that cold. Dead battery maybe even though it's new? Just fearful it's something worse.
Old 02-21-19, 10:05 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by turpinator
I went to get into my car and latch the seat belt. The seats didn't auto adjust at all, so something was amiss. Hit the start button on the car and all that happened was the check engine light came on along with the BSM LED. The check engine light eventually went off, but I can press the BSM button lights up but flickers.

I just replaced the battery a few months ago. The car started on Tuesday, it sat all day Wednesday, and now just won't start at all. It's been cold, but not that cold. Dead battery maybe even though it's new? Just fearful it's something worse.
I’ve had a battery go dead in 6 months, so it’s possible. But also check the terminals, maybe they were not tightened or corroded.

good luck.
The following users liked this post:
turpinator (02-21-19)
Old 02-21-19, 10:13 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Maybe you have that Gateway battery drain issue on some MY2013.
Go have your battery tested.
I use a trickle charger on mine, since I rarely drive my GS.
Get them on Amazon for fairly cheap.

Amazon Amazon
turpinator (02-21-19)
Old 02-21-19, 10:16 AM
turpinator
Driver School Candidate

Smile Problem resolved.

Originally Posted by chinee

I’ve had a battery go dead in 6 months, so it’s possible. But also check the terminals, maybe they were not tightened or corroded.

good luck.
Just checked the terminals before coming back to see if somebody responded to my post and yep, the ground had worked it's way almost off the post. Tightened the post down good and had my room mate give me a jump with his vehicle. Problem solved. I'll have to spot check the connector to see if it stays put now. Otherwise, I will have to figure out a better solution. Thanks for the reply! It was spot on.
jonathancl (02-21-19)
Old 03-07-19, 03:33 PM
turpinator
Driver School Candidate

Default Had to swap the battery again.

Just updating this thread. So the new battery I got was bad and went out after a few weeks, so I had to swap it at auto zone. I had the gal swap it out, cause, well, she offered and I'm a nice guy. However, I should of just done it myself, which I did for the most part of it because the snaps on the plastic cage that hold the cables took more force to open. Anyway, the new battery is working fine, but the cross beam you have to screw down to hold the battery is not attached right now. The Duralast battery is bigger than the old OEM Panasonic battery.

I was thinking about getting rid of that plastic battery cage as I'm not sure it does anything useful other than cable management. However, I wanted to run it by the forum first to get some opinions.

Thanks!

Last edited by turpinator; 03-07-19 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-07-19, 04:37 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by turpinator
Just updating this thread. So the new battery I got was bad and went out after a few weeks, so I had to swap it at auto zone. I had the gal swap it out, cause, well, she offered and I'm a nice guy. However, I should of just done it myself, which I did for the most part of it because the snaps on the plastic cage that hold the cables took more force to open. Anyway, the new battery is working fine, but the cross beam you have to screw down to hold the battery is not attached right now. The Duralast battery is bigger than the old OEM Panasonic battery.

I was thinking about getting rid of that plastic battery cage as I'm not sure it does anything useful other than cable management. However, I wanted to run it by the forum first to get some opinions.

Thanks!
It sounds like you have essentially purchased and installed a battery that does not properly fit [physically] in your car's battery holder/bracket. If this new battery cannot be held securely in-place and is allowed to freely move around, what do you think will happen overtime as you drive over large bumps where things become airborne, or you make sharp [reactive] turns where centripetal/centrifugal force propels objects of sizable mass that are not securely in-place?
Old 03-07-19, 04:57 PM
turpinator
Driver School Candidate

The cross beam will fit fine as it worked on the other same size new bad battery I installed myself. It's a tighter fit for sure. It's only off temporarily, because time was limited and I didn't want the gal at the auto-zone fussing around with it longer than needed. It will be back on shortly, but would be a little easier without messing around with that plastic cage.
Old 03-07-19, 10:26 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I had my battery replaced at the dealer this week and they did not replace the plastic cage.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ttery-age.html
turpinator (03-07-19)
Old 03-07-19, 10:48 PM
turpinator
Driver School Candidate

Your thread was actually what got me thinking of getting rid of the cage. Thank you for the followup and the link to your thread.