GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

90K mile service vs normal Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-19 | 09:18 AM
scarru
Driver School Candidate

Default 90K mile service vs normal Oil Change?

Question for everyone. I just hit 90K miles. It looks like below are the list of items do for 90K service. My question is...I'm not due for an oild change for 5k miles, I can't rotate tires (staggered), I replaced both air filters myself and key battery. Should I just wait and go in for a regular oil change since they inspect everything then anyway? That way I'm not left paying for "inspections" and things I don't need?

List of 90K Items:
Replace engine oil and oil filter (0W-20)
Rotate tires (Applies to models with the same size front and rear tires and wheels.)
Replace air conditioner filter
Replace brake fluid
Replace engine air filter
Replace smart key battery
Measure brake pad thickness and rotor runout
Reset maintenance reminder light
Road test vehicle
Check installation of driver's floor mat
Inspect axle shaft boots
Inspect ball joints and dust covers
Inspect body
Inspect brake lines and hoses
Inspect drive belt(s)
Inspect engine coolant
Inspect exhaust pipes and mounting
Inspect fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses.
Inspect fuel tank cap gasket
Inspect rack and pinion steering assembly
Inspect rear differential oil
Inspect steering linkage and boots
Inspect transmission for signs of leakage
Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors
Old 02-22-19 | 10:00 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scarru
Question for everyone. I just hit 90K miles. It looks like below are the list of items do for 90K service. My question is...I'm not due for an oild change for 5k miles, I can't rotate tires (staggered), I replaced both air filters myself and key battery. Should I just wait and go in for a regular oil change since they inspect everything then anyway? That way I'm not left paying for "inspections" and things I don't need?

List of 90K Items:
Rotate tires (Applies to models with the same size front and rear tires and wheels.)
Replace brake fluid
Road test vehicle
Inspect axle shaft boots
Inspect body
Inspect drive belt(s)
Inspect engine coolant
Inspect fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses.
That is what I would do since you are not due for the engine oil and filter change for another 5k miles. Everything else you have already done with the exception of replacing the brake fluid, which I would pass on. 90% of what is done are inspections, which can be done at anytime. Once the car is past being under warranty what maintenance an owner does should be pretty much based on how long the owner plans to keep the car.
Old 02-22-19 | 10:16 AM
VA75067
Driver

Originally Posted by scarru

List of 90K Items:
Replace brake fluid
Road test vehicle
Inspect axle shaft boots
Inspect body
Inspect drive belt(s)
Inspect engine coolant
How much are they asking for the 90k mile service? You can get it done next time you need an oil change. i think it's important to get the brake oil changed periodically as it attracts a lot of moisture.
It may be a good idea to let them do it a-la cart - so that you you can get the oil changes and inspections done.. and not have to pay for the filters and key-fob batteries.
Old 02-22-19 | 10:38 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Replacing brake fluid recommendations are all over the board. For example, for the Toyota Camry there is no recommendation for replacing the brake fluid, only instructions to inspect it periodically. It's not going to hurt to replace it, but it's most likely not needed.
Old 02-22-19 | 11:16 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

I currently have 57k miles on my GS and am due for an oil change. The dealership quoted me over $1100 to do the 60k service (includes spark plugs). I plan on going in for a synthetic oil change, getting the multi point inspection and hearing what they recommend.

think your plan to get the oil change and included multi-point inspection is the best route (i'm sure they are gonna want a lot of $$$ for the 90k service). Hear what they say/recommend and then decide if you want to spend the $$$.
Old 08-14-20 | 03:50 PM
maggiee
Driver School Candidate

Talking Oil change

I just hit 37k in my 16 is350 f sport on my way home from a long road trip when the yellow triangle can in saying maintenance required. I’m assuming that would be my oil change indicator? Just asking bc this is the first Lexus I’ve owned and have only had it for about a month.
Old 08-14-20 | 05:21 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Originally Posted by AJLex19
I currently have 57k miles on my GS and am due for an oil change. The dealership quoted me over $1100 to do the 60k service (includes spark plugs). I plan on going in for a synthetic oil change, getting the multi point inspection and hearing what they recommend.

think your plan to get the oil change and included multi-point inspection is the best route (i'm sure they are gonna want a lot of $$$ for the 90k service). Hear what they say/recommend and then decide if you want to spend the $$$.
My dealer gave me the same quote. Since I'm keeping the car at least 2 more years, I'm letting them do it. If I was letting go of it in less than 2 years, I'd pass on it and just have oil changed/tires rotated.
Old 08-14-20 | 10:32 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Originally Posted by jkeller
My dealer gave me the same quote. Since I'm keeping the car at least 2 more years, I'm letting them do it. If I was letting go of it in less than 2 years, I'd pass on it and just have oil changed/tires rotated.
@jkeller I posted last year in Feb 2019 - i went to the dealership and had the oil/filter/multi-point inspection done at 57.5k miles a few months after that post. I just hit 60k miles a few months ago - barely drive these days. At my current driving clip, I don't expect to drive much in the next 6 to 9 months either so i'm gonna hold off on the 60k major service.

Like you, I too plan to hold on to my '13 GS for some time - probably by the time I get rid of it, it will still have under 70k miles! However, as long as you feel comfortable with the price and the service of your dealer, that's what matters most.
The following users liked this post:
jkeller (08-15-20)