GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Upgrading seats to semi aniline Luxury Mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-21 | 01:08 PM
Neil64
Intermediate

Sorry JDR76. You are right. I mistakenly posted the 10 way seats as F-Sport but they are in fact the base/premium seats. So do the F-Sport and Luxury adjustable seat bolsters adjust out wider than the base/premium bolsters to better accommodate us larger GS owners? Can someone confirm that the Luxury seats are softer in cushioning and in the grade of leather than the F-Sport seats? I am looking for the most comfy (soft) seats I can find.
Old 03-15-21 | 01:13 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I believe some on here have posted that the cushions are softer on the luxury seats. I have no first hand experience. But they are as softer leather for sure, as they are made of a semi-aniline leather.

I do not believe the side bolsters move out wider than they do on the premium seats. My front passenger seat is essentially a premium seat, and it seems to be equivalent, or even a touch wider, than my F Sport driver's seat with the side bolsters in their widest position.
Old 03-15-21 | 02:50 PM
GS350MIKE
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JDR76
I believe some on here have posted that the cushions are softer on the luxury seats. I have no first hand experience. But they are as softer leather for sure, as they are made of a semi-aniline leather.

I do not believe the side bolsters move out wider than they do on the premium seats. My front passenger seat is essentially a premium seat, and it seems to be equivalent, or even a touch wider, than my F Sport driver's seat with the side bolsters in their widest position.
I agree. My premium seats seem at least as wide as the F Sport seats in the GS I just traded in.
Old 04-21-21 | 06:28 PM
MRAndyMC
Driver School Candidate

I recently purchased a set of front F Sport seats to upgrade from my stock 10-way adjustable seats in my 2013 GS350 AWD. I really wish I could have found a set of luxury seats with the semi-aniline leather (I really wanted that!) but I ended up going with these because I was mainly just wanting a replacement for the seats in my car with rips in them. I installed the passenger seat just fine, but I've been having problems with the seat adjustments on the new driver seat. Basically, only the basic seat movement functions are working on the driver seat and the added movements (cushion extender, side bolsters, lumbar support, and lower back support) are only making a clicking sound in the position computer but not powering any of the motors. I have done a bunch of testing and have verified that all of the motors and wiring to the motors are functional by swapping out pins on the plugs in the computer board and I've even swapped out the computer board with another from a seat that is for sure working, but nothing is letting the extra seat movements work. Has anyone else experienced this or is there something that Lexus has done to restrict this functionality in an upgraded seat?
Old 04-21-21 | 07:07 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MRAndyMC
I recently purchased a set of front F Sport seats to upgrade from my stock 10-way adjustable seats in my 2013 GS350 AWD. I really wish I could have found a set of luxury seats with the semi-aniline leather (I really wanted that!) but I ended up going with these because I was mainly just wanting a replacement for the seats in my car with rips in them. I installed the passenger seat just fine, but I've been having problems with the seat adjustments on the new driver seat. Basically, only the basic seat movement functions are working on the driver seat and the added movements (cushion extender, side bolsters, lumbar support, and lower back support) are only making a clicking sound in the position computer but not powering any of the motors. I have done a bunch of testing and have verified that all of the motors and wiring to the motors are functional by swapping out pins on the plugs in the computer board and I've even swapped out the computer board with another from a seat that is for sure working, but nothing is letting the extra seat movements work. Has anyone else experienced this or is there something that Lexus has done to restrict this functionality in an upgraded seat?
This is where techstream would be very useful to diagnose the problem. If you don’t already have it you can buy the OBDII to usb cord that includes a copy of techstream on eBay or amazon.

The lux seats were direct plug and play for my base 450h.

Last edited by peasodos; 04-21-21 at 11:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MRAndyMC (05-15-21)
Old 04-22-21 | 06:43 AM
DeneAlex
Driver

Originally Posted by MRAndyMC
Seems to be a seat ECU problem, since all of the cars share same wiring, and upgrade is simply a swap.
Old 04-22-21 | 10:59 AM
1111GS

Originally Posted by peasodos
Lux seat install complete. Everything works, even my lower sub frame swap!

I think bamboo, flaxen, and black is the most luxurious, sexiest interior combo for the GS, do you agree?

Plus one nicely done.
Old 04-22-21 | 11:09 AM
1111GS

Originally Posted by Cwang
The 4GS seats are probably the least comfortable seats Lexus have made. They're also probably up there with being the most supportive (Fsport).
When the 4GS first came out, I remember reading a lot of compliments about the luxury seats. I personally felt the same way. It wasn't as soft as a couch but it was very comfortable.
Old 05-15-21 | 11:32 AM
MRAndyMC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DeneAlex
Seems to be a seat ECU problem, since all of the cars share same wiring, and upgrade is simply a swap.
That's what I thought it was, but I was able to swap the ECU out with one from a seat that I know was working in another car and it still is not letting all of the position movements work.
Old 05-15-21 | 11:57 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I wonder if something is wrong with some the seat motors. I think each motor has a different seat movement direction/function. I've seen where someone cut power wires with a wire cutter shorting the Positive and neg at the same time.
Old 11-07-21 | 06:29 PM
baconRx
Instructor

for anyone who does this in the future for the rear/3-zone, the ecu module needs to match the same year as the rear controls. I got the ecu for 16+ and my rear controls are 13-15 and don't work. looked it up and rear controls for 16+ seems to be different from previous year for some rear. I have 3-zone from the nav unit but rear control has no power sadly =( rear unit could be broken as well but I assume its more likely they change up wiring for 16+
Im2bz2p345 (11-08-21)
Old 11-08-21 | 08:09 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by baconRx
for anyone who does this in the future for the rear/3-zone, the ecu module needs to match the same year as the rear controls. I got the ecu for 16+ and my rear controls are 13-15 and don't work. looked it up and rear controls for 16+ seems to be different from previous year for some rear. I have 3-zone from the nav unit but rear control has no power sadly =( rear unit could be broken as well but I assume its more likely they change up wiring for 16+
Do you have an f-sport? Could also be the rear thermal doesn't have all the wires for the rear seat controls. check the terminal on the rear passenger side were you plugged the rear armrest harness too, see if wires are missing on the car side of the terminal.

This reminds me of the power trunk retrofit and also the triple beam led headlights. The F-sport is missing connections on the wiring harness, people had to add them to get it to work. It's plug and play on the regular 350 or 450h.
Im2bz2p345 (11-08-21)
Old 11-08-21 | 10:06 AM
baconRx
Instructor

Do you have an f-sport? Could also be the rear thermal doesn't have all the wires for the rear seat controls. check the terminal on the rear passenger side were you plugged the rear armrest harness too, see if wires are missing on the car side of the terminal.

This reminds me of the power trunk retrofit and also the triple beam led headlights. The F-sport is missing connections on the wiring harness, people had to add them to get it to work. It's plug and play on the regular 350 or 450h.
I would need the wiring diagram to check pins but I no longer have access to it =(
from what I can see connector is fine. It's the wire from the control panel that may have changed since there's less pins on that. I'm sure if I get the wiring diagram to compare 13 to 16 I could repin it correctly
Old 01-06-22 | 02:32 PM
giel007
Driver School Candidate

I installed the rear luxury seats yesterday. The rear seat bottom is held down by two white clips/pin, just yank up in the location of the clips. The rear seat back is held down by 4 bolts and 2 pins. Just take the bolts off and pull up.
Also the car has the wiring harness for the rear seat controls. I just have to install the ac amplifier(already have it, just needs to be installed) from the 3 zone climate control to enable it.

My 450h doesn't have the rear seat pass through so I has to swap the middle part of the backrest onto the new one.

can you give more details about swapping midde pass ? What needs to be removed ? Are there clips or it needs cutting ?
Old 01-06-22 | 02:40 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by giel007
can you give more details about swapping midde pass ? What needs to be removed ? Are there clips or it needs cutting ?
clips, screws, it's obvious when you take the backrest off and look at it. No cutting.
giel007 (01-06-22)

Quick Reply: Upgrading seats to semi aniline Luxury Mod