GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lease GS350 versus Buying

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-19, 07:14 PM
dwayne4lex
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Lease GS350 versus Buying

Found this on YouTube today. Interesting review. What are your thoughts?
Old 03-01-19, 07:32 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Well, I leased my 15 and bought my 19, so I’ll let you know. ��

What he says is not incorrect. The issue I had in my 15 and wanting to buy it out at lease end was that the market value was less than the residual, so it felt an awful lot like paying more than it was worth to keep it. He didn’t address that potential situation.
Old 03-01-19, 08:08 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 579 Posts

This was the logic I used when I leased my 2018 in September... with the intent to buy at the end of the lease. Residual will be $26,8XX after 3 years.

Lease cash on the 18 was $5,500 and I got a generous dealer discount that exceeded the lease rebate. It was a no-brainer to lease (with the intent to buy).

Originally Posted by JDR76
The issue I had in my 15 and wanting to buy it out at lease end was that the market value was less than the residual, so it felt an awful lot like paying more than it was worth to keep it. He didn’t address that potential situation.
That is correct, and I will be looking at the market value of my GS when my lease is up; I'm anticipating it will be close to or greater than the residual, so buying will make sense.

Last edited by chinee; 03-01-19 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-01-19, 09:11 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The market value was less than the residual, so it felt an awful lot like paying more than it was worth to keep it. He didn’t address that potential situation.
I can imagine that happening, the GS350 Fsport is massively overvalued from the factory. If I went to my local dealer for one they're going new for 76K USD drive away(including luxury car tax, registration and stamp duty to be fair)
Old 03-01-19, 09:44 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

This is also the route I went as well. the math just adds up that leasing then buying out is less than just financing or straight cash for me so I did that. If you really want you can buy it out and have them CPO it for additional warrenty
Old 03-01-19, 09:45 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I still say the smartest option is to buy used and let someone else take the bigger hit. When I bought my car someone else took care of it for a few years so I can get it for 45% the original price.
Old 03-01-19, 10:35 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
I still say the smartest option is to buy used and let someone else take the bigger hit. When I bought my car someone else took care of it for a few years so I can get it for 45% the original price.
The problem is that you have no control on how the car is taken care of for the first 15-30k miles or so.
Old 03-01-19, 10:42 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pngo

The problem is that you have no control on how the car is taken care of for the first 15-30k miles or so.
Toyota/Lexus Build great cars/engines. I've purchased my last 2 cars this way and never had an issue. These cars are built to last. I bought my car used with 64k miles on it 2 years ago, no issues. I plan on driving it over 200k, currently 88k miles.

Old 03-01-19, 10:58 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Toyota/Lexus Build great cars/engines. I've purchased my last 2 cars this way and never had an issue. These cars are built to last. I bought my car used with 64k miles on it 2 years ago, no issues. I plan on driving it over 200k, currently 88k miles.
I agree, but if a leaser who doesn’t care to change the oil at appropriate intervals, use quality gasoline, floors it while engine is cold, etc. will negatively affect the quality and life of the engine.
Old 03-02-19, 02:24 AM
Cwang
Instructor

I agree, but if a leaser who doesn’t care to change the oil at appropriate intervals, use quality gasoline, floors it while engine is cold, etc. will negatively affect the quality and life of the engine.
Oil - documented in service book for a buyers perusal
Fuel - surely anyone affording to buy a 70K car uses at least 95RON petrol.
Cold starts - this is an unknown but there's little payoff revving it, it's not a great sounding motor. (It's not a v8)

A printed history from the dealership would be more enlightening than anything else. It's not a Euro ready to fall apart one sensor at a time
Old 03-02-19, 02:27 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Agreed. My 350 Fsport sold for 110K on road and I picked it up for 31K with 70 odd thousand kms. Bargain! CBF converting to USD.
Old 03-02-19, 06:08 AM
mrminsky
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Could any of you share what the out of pocket, monthly payment, and actual residual of the car. Also the model of the GS350. It would be interesting to see what the actual math is for these cars.
Old 03-02-19, 07:59 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 553 Likes on 373 Posts

The residual on Lexus cars is high. You need to do your best calculation.
We bought a 2018 RX450h; I went in there fully prepared to pay cash.
Leasing had some good benefits for me and some for the dealership.
Lexus wants to see you again in 3 years, and they want a clean car turned back in.

Lexus offered good lease money.
Hybrid (and perhaps electric) technology is evolving; perhaps in 3 years there are better cars.
The difference between paying cash vs. lease and buy at end was maybe $2,000 as I recall.
Less if you invest your cash in a money market or other security...
What if I wanted something else in 3 years?

So I looked at leasing as a type of insurance.
I hate leases, but that's what I did.

The RX hybrid lease is not a perfect comparison to a GS, but that's what I did in this case.
If you can negotiate a great price and you wanna keep the car, the purchase might be the way to go.
I would show this video to the finance guy at your dealership to get their take.
Finally, remember, these cars depreciate.

Good luck!
Old 03-02-19, 08:06 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

These engines can handle that type of abuse and run past 200k miles. That's the reason I buy used Toyota/Lexus cars without hesitation.

Right after I buy the used car I do an oil change and put in new air filters, that way I know it's fresh. Then base my oil change intervals off that.
Old 03-02-19, 08:09 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

In the end, I think buying new versus used, and lease versus buy is a personal decision and not a “one size fits all” kind of situation. Everyone’s individual situation and desires will lead to the best fit for them.

At at least with a GS, it’s hard to go wrong!

Quick Reply: Lease GS350 versus Buying