GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

StopTech rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-19, 11:01 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Do you have a picture of the box for the front rotors as those aren't the part #.

-Josh
Those came in generic Centric box and my receipt showed them as follows. When I spoke to sales rep, he told me StopTech don't have the front rotors in stock (1pc or 2pc) so he had to order generic blanks. They're all made in China and I think Buybrakes.com drilled/slotted them at their facility to match the StopTech. E-coating looks exactly the same as the StopTech rears.

SPA-651.44205 - Speed Attack High Carbon Alloy Drilled/Slotted Brake Disc
SPA-651.44204 - Speed Attack High Carbon Alloy Drilled/Slotted Brake Disc

Old 03-26-19, 11:07 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Here are the box for rears and pads if anyone is interested in the p/n.
All made in China ​​​​​​​
Old 03-26-19, 06:28 PM
TXMAG
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Can you snag a shot of the vanes?
Old 03-26-19, 07:02 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Here you go, I snapped a bunch more photos.Vanes are e-coated as well. Hope these rotors don't rust like my OEM.
Just noticed the drilled holes on fronts are not as tapered as the rear. Not 100% match, but I doubt anyone would notice once they're mounted.

Front - front face

Front - back face

Rear - Front face

Rear - back face

Front Vanes

Rear Vanes

Drilled holes comparison front/rear
Old 03-27-19, 04:21 PM
TXMAG
Driver

Thanks for the extra pics. It would be super helpful if you follow-up in a couple months with how they seem to be faring. Specifically the e-coating on the hats and if there is any difference (i.e. cracking) between the slots and holes on the front/rear sets.
The following users liked this post:
jdpdata (03-27-19)
Old 03-27-19, 05:17 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

@TXMAG Sure thing! Definitely will let y'all know my thoughts about these rotors. I'm not your typical driver though, I work from home so I never really need to drive anywhere. The GS sit in my garage for most of the week. I only take it out on weekends - maybe put just 50 miles on it per week. Being in Southern California, we don't get harsh weather or salt on our roads, so I expect the e-coating to last a very long time. It is rated for 400 hours on road salt conditions . I don't expect any cracking either as I don't drive aggressively and never track the GS. You can go with slotted or plain rotors if you're concern about cracking. I have aftermarket 20" wheels, so I wanted a certain look with drilled & slotted rotors. Centric/StopTech makes quality stuff, I'm not too concern about any problems. If these don't squeaks and produce low dust, I plan on getting another set for my 4Runner.
NickMayer (05-22-19)
Old 04-05-19, 01:00 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Default All done

The fellas at Impex Motorsports did a great job on my brakes. Anyone in the San Gabriel Valley area should hit them up for any suspension or brakes work. Love how the Burnt Copper gives a bit pop to my wheels and drilled/slotted rotors looks great behind the Maverick. I have a tiny bit squealing on front passenger side, but I think that should go away once the new ceramic pads are properly embedded. Also lowered front 5mm to match rear better.

Old 04-05-19, 01:02 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts

^^^ Beautiful, jdp!
jdpdata (04-05-19)
Old 04-05-19, 04:19 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Here are the weight of OEM rotors if anyone is interested. 2pc is of course lighter.

Initial impression of the StopTech rotors and Centric ceramic pads...squeal..squeal..squeal!
I'm getting lots of squealing from 5-0mph. If I stop hard, squeals very loud.
Already did a few 60-20mph runs in hope of bedding in the new pads, it's not helping.
Is this just how ceramic pads are, they squeal a lot? Hope they get quieter, else I'm yanking them out.

Also I feel initial bite is less with these than OEM. May be just my imagination.
Looks great, but so far not impressed with their performance.

OEM 2pc front rotor

OEM rear rotor
Old 04-05-19, 06:26 PM
TXMAG
Driver

Weird that you're getting a squeal. I've run the same posi-quiet ceramic pad/premium rotor combo in a lot of different vehicles and never had that issue. I'd pull the pads from the front and check that some sort of lubricant was used on the caliper pistons and shims as that's most likely where the noise is coming from if it's a constant low-speed issue.

This is my lubricant of choice for that task:
3M Silicone Paste 3M Silicone Paste
. I use this stuff for brakes, lubricating seat/window tracks, and as a di-electric grease. It's magical.
Old 04-05-19, 06:54 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by TXMAG
Weird that you're getting a squeal. I've run the same posi-quiet ceramic pad/premium rotor combo in a lot of different vehicles and never had that issue. I'd pull the pads from the front and check that some sort of lubricant was used on the caliper pistons and shims as that's most likely where the noise is coming from if it's a constant low-speed issue.

This is my lubricant of choice for that task: 3M Silicone Paste. I use this stuff for brakes, lubricating seat/window tracks, and as a di-electric grease. It's magical.
Yeah, i wasn't expecting noise from these pads, they're called Posi-quiet for a reason. Not sure if my installer lubricant them correctly. I'll bring it back on Monday if noise still persists. I'll take car on freeway later this evening when traffic dies down and will do some high speed cycle to bed in the pads.
Old 04-05-19, 07:03 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I think no1 had find the right combo to fix the squeal. people have tried the ebc rotor and it still squeal. I guess we found the answer that stoptech rotor squeal too. I tried oem 2 piece rotor with posi quiet and it squeal. waiting for some1 to find the right combo to fix the annoying squeal noise.
Old 04-12-19, 09:29 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Got some Akebono ceramic pads for the front. If this doesn't fix the squeal, I give up!

This damn car is so picky with front brakes. I got some Centric rotors and same Centric Posi-quiet 105 pads for my 4Runner. It's super quiet no problems at all. But the same pads on my GS..squeal..squeal..squeal.

Last edited by jdpdata; 04-12-19 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-12-19, 11:54 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Default Akebono looks promising

Got the Akebono pads on...no squeak at all. Will update after 200s miles, hope they stay quiet. I noticed the Centric Posi-quiet 105 pad material looks semi-metallic very similar to OE semi-metallic. Maybe they shipped me wrong pads?

Centric Posi-quiet 105 ceramic

OE semi-metallic
Old 04-12-19, 05:34 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

i got akebono pads with oem 2 piece rotor on my gs350 f sport too and it squeal after awhile.

Quick Reply: StopTech rotors