GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Driver door access issues. Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-19, 03:32 PM
2014GS350F
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Driver door access issues. Need help!

Recently the driver side door of my car has been “flipping out” when I try to open it when locked. When I pull the handle to unlock and open the door the cars starts beeping rapidly and I can hear the door locks unlock then lock and unlock then lock several times and then it quits this phase of “flipping out” after maybe 5 seconds. If I try to pull on the driver side door it does it again. If I try to open any of the other doors I can get in just fine then have to open the driver side door from the inside then swing the door open and walk around to access the car. It happened once a few weeks ago and now twice today. Anyone seen this issue and know a fix? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03-12-19, 05:35 PM
VA75067
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like an actuator problem. Search for this on the forums.. seems to be a fairly common issue.. expensive fix at Lexus garage
Old 03-14-19, 01:35 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

I had a similar thing happen when I was idling up to a red light. I tried to open the door to pour some water out of a cup and it flipped out like you said with the beeping and the door locks actuating until I finally got the door shut. I couldn't replicate it again though.
Old 03-14-19, 05:32 PM
Mannu
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It does sound like it is your actuator. I ran into the similar issue recently. went on ebay purchase a refurbish actuator from actuator plus with lifetime warranty. Very easy to install. Actuator Plus would actually provide you video clip from youtube on how to remove the door panel and install the actuator if needed. Good luck
Old 03-14-19, 05:38 PM
Mannu
Driver School Candidate

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - 4th Gen (2013-present)
Old 03-18-19, 02:39 PM
2014GS350F
Driver

Originally Posted by Mannu
It does sound like it is your actuator. I ran into the similar issue recently. went on ebay purchase a refurbish actuator from actuator plus with lifetime warranty. Very easy to install. Actuator Plus would actually provide you video clip from youtube on how to remove the door panel and install the actuator if needed. Good luck
Is this where you got it?....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-GS350...ty!46074!US!-1

The Lexus dealership wants $800 to do it so I need to figure out how to do this myself.
Old 03-18-19, 05:03 PM
Mannu
Driver School Candidate

yes this is it, they are also a member of Club Lexus.
Old 03-30-19, 11:30 AM
2014GS350F
Driver

Default Fixed!

Originally Posted by Mannu
yes this is it, they are also a member of Club Lexus.
It was the actuator. Bought one for $50 from eBay as suggested and fixed it myself in 1.5hrs. Found videos on eBay and followed them step by step with no issues. Huge savings and feeling very good about it.
The following users liked this post:
bob67 (07-13-19)
Old 07-12-19, 12:06 PM
frhill
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014GS350F
It was the actuator. Bought one for $50 from eBay as suggested and fixed it myself in 1.5hrs. Found videos on eBay and followed them step by step with no issues. Huge savings and feeling very good about it.
My driver's side front door lock actuator has failed as well. I purchase a replacement from ACTUATORSPLUS and I'm ready to get to work. I found a video on removing a 2014 GS door panel and another video explaining how to replace the actuator in a 2014 ES which appears to use the same actuator as the GS. However, I noticed on the GS there is a extra trim piece that hides the bolts that connect the actuator to the door. I see a single screw in that trim piece. Is it just a mater of removing that screw and the trim piece is easily removed?
Old 07-13-19, 12:31 PM
frhill
Driver

Originally Posted by frhill
My driver's side front door lock actuator has failed as well. I purchase a replacement from ACTUATORSPLUS and I'm ready to get to work. I found a video on removing a 2014 GS door panel and another video explaining how to replace the actuator in a 2014 ES which appears to use the same actuator as the GS. However, I noticed on the GS there is a extra trim piece that hides the bolts that connect the actuator to the door. I see a single screw in that trim piece. Is it just a mater of removing that screw and the trim piece is easily removed?
turns out that you remove the screw and the trim panel pops off. I replaced the actuator and power door looks work again. Nice to be able to use the remote FOB or put my hand on the handle again to unlock and lock the car.

However, I noticed that using my key in the door no longer works, It very stiff to turn either way. There was some sort of steel structure held together by two bolts. I removed the bolts and move the structure towards towards the outside of the inner door so I could pull out the actuator out. It took some time to get the new actuator positioned so that I could bolt it in -- getting the door latch rod in the lever hole was the hardest ...pretty much have to do it by feel. I don't think my current issue is related to the new actuator, I must have gotten something out of alignment at the top.

I never used my key in the door key hole in 5 years of ownership until my actuator failed. I guess I shouldn't necessarily worry about fixing it unless all actuators fail at the same time with the doors lock. But just the same I'd like to fix it. Maybe I'll wait till fall when its cooler outside.

Any ideas what could have gone wrong?
Old 07-13-19, 01:21 PM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I would turn off the setting that locks the doors once car is in motion. That extra lock, then unlock, just wears out the actuators. With this self lock disabled, I have never had an actuator fail in any of my 5 Lexus vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (07-15-19)
Old 07-15-19, 06:09 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by bob67
I would turn off the setting that locks the doors once car is in motion. That extra lock, then unlock, just wears out the actuators. With this self lock disabled, I have never had an actuator fail in any of my 5 Lexus vehicles.
Set only the driver to unlock automatically, don't set all locks to unlock on park, lock doors automatically at speed.
This reduces the total number of times the locks fire. Driver door will still fail in time, but the others will last longer (on average).
Old 07-20-19, 10:26 AM
frhill
Driver

Originally Posted by frhill
turns out that you remove the screw and the trim panel pops off. I replaced the actuator and power door looks work again. Nice to be able to use the remote FOB or put my hand on the handle again to unlock and lock the car.

However, I noticed that using my key in the door no longer works, It very stiff to turn either way. There was some sort of steel structure held together by two bolts. I removed the bolts and move the structure towards towards the outside of the inner door so I could pull out the actuator out. It took some time to get the new actuator positioned so that I could bolt it in -- getting the door latch rod in the lever hole was the hardest ...pretty much have to do it by feel. I don't think my current issue is related to the new actuator, I must have gotten something out of alignment at the top.

I never used my key in the door key hole in 5 years of ownership until my actuator failed. I guess I shouldn't necessarily worry about fixing it unless all actuators fail at the same time with the doors lock. But just the same I'd like to fix it. Maybe I'll wait till fall when its cooler outside.

Any ideas what could have gone wrong?

Ok ALL is well with my GS350. I contacted the seller "ActuatorsPlus" and they sent me this video
which explains how to align the lock gear into the actuator, it also had a better way to install the latch rod into the actuator as well. I was able to realign and reinstall the actuator in about an hour. Everything works, I can manually lock and unlock, windows roll up and down, door opens and closes as it should, power locks work.
Old 07-22-19, 07:42 AM
vr4/sc400
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Glad you got everything working again. Those little guys can be temperamental at times but I'm glad you got it figured out.

Regards,
Actuators Plus