GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

EBC Dimpled/Slotted rotors and EBC Yellowstuff

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-19, 10:59 AM
TAURUSSLVR
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default EBC Dimpled/Slotted rotors and EBC Yellowstuff

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum. Glad to be part of the Lexus owners club. I was looking to change the look and feel of my brakes and rotors and decided to bite the bullet and spend a little bit more. Ordered a full set of front and rear EBC dimpled/slotted rotors and EBC yellowstuff brake pads. I searched the forums for info and didn't really see much info as far as opinions on the EBC's so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'll post pics when I can. Any input would be great.

Running a 2016 Atomic Silver F Sport RWD

Front Rotors# EBC GD7636
Front Pads# DP 43017R
Rear Rotors# EBC GD7637
Rear Pads# DP 41850R (Note: Rear pads listed RX350 3.5 2006 and up. Confirmed 4GS fit with EBC)

Last edited by TAURUSSLVR; 03-28-19 at 07:07 AM. Reason: rotor and brake info
Old 03-22-19, 11:13 AM
Bartman619
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

• Keep us posted on how they feel and sound. I had the regular EBC front rotors 14in and Brembo pads installed for about 2 weeks a year ago. They squealed and squeaked like crazy. Ended up replacing them with factory 2pc rotors and pads. Hopefully your combination is not too noisy.
Old 03-22-19, 11:19 AM
waygreen
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome. I'm new here, too, but not new to tinkering. I haven't used ebc on this car but I used yellows years ago on a much lighter car. I would expect to notice increased bite over the stock pads. The stock pads have no bite. You'll accomplish a change of looks from the rotors but the dimples won't change feel. If you want to shorten stopping distances, stickier tires are the way to do it. I don't know about your mileage but a fluid change could help feel as well. So might newer lines.
Old 03-22-19, 12:34 PM
TAURUSSLVR
Driver

Originally Posted by Bartman619
  • Keep us posted on how they feel and sound. I had the regular EBC front rotors 14in and Brembo pads installed for about 2 weeks a year ago. They squealed and squeaked like crazy. Ended up replacing them with factory 2pc rotors and pads. Hopefully your combination is not too noisy.
Will do Bartman. With Los Angeles stop and go traffic I feel that is definitely the place for a testing ground.

Originally Posted by waygreen
Welcome. I'm new here, too, but not new to tinkering. I haven't used ebc on this car but I used yellows years ago on a much lighter car. I would expect to notice increased bite over the stock pads. The stock pads have no bite. You'll accomplish a change of looks from the rotors but the dimples won't change feel. If you want to shorten stopping distances, stickier tires are the way to do it. I don't know about your mileage but a fluid change could help feel as well. So might newer lines.
Thanks for info! Was thinking about doing the brake fluid change but was researching about SS lines. Do we even have those available? And is it worth it if I'm not gonna track the car?
Old 03-22-19, 01:04 PM
waygreen
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I overlooked that your car is a 2016. With it being that new, I can't imagine you would notice any difference in feel from SS lines (if SS lines are even made for this car). While SS lines have a bit less expansion/flex than standard lines, the primary reason people feel a difference (if they even do and it's not a placebo effect) is because they are replacing very old, worn lines with new lines and, additionally, are flushing the fluid in the process. The fact that the new lines are SS is a red herring. If you took a brand new car and switched the lines to SS, you would not feel a difference.
Old 03-22-19, 01:26 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

I stayed away from EBC due to others complained about the loud squeaking. I ended up ordering StopTech Drilled/Slotted 1pc rotors and Centric 105 Ceramic pads. Wanted 2pc rotors but StopTech discontinued them. You definitely don't need SS brake lines or fluid change.
Old 03-22-19, 01:37 PM
TAURUSSLVR
Driver

Originally Posted by jdpdata
I stayed away from EBC due to others complained about the loud squeaking. I ended up ordering StopTech Drilled/Slotted 1pc rotors and Centric 105 Ceramic pads. Wanted 2pc rotors but StopTech discontinued them. You definitely don't need SS brake lines or fluid change.
Yeah I came across your post. How have those rotors and pads been working out for you so far? I'm expecting some air noise but hopefully not a lot since it's just dimpled/slotted and not drilled. Crossing my fingers and eyes that the squeaking issue was only on the standart EBC rotors.

Old 03-22-19, 01:40 PM
TAURUSSLVR
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by waygreen
I overlooked that your car is a 2016. With it being that new, I can't imagine you would notice any difference in feel from SS lines (if SS lines are even made for this car). While SS lines have a bit less expansion/flex than standard lines, the primary reason people feel a difference (if they even do and it's not a placebo effect) is because they are replacing very old, worn lines with new lines and, additionally, are flushing the fluid in the process. The fact that the new lines are SS is a red herring. If you took a brand new car and switched the lines to SS, you would not feel a difference.
Thanks for the info. I was considering it more because it would have been just a one and done. But since you got me thinking, and granted that this will not be the last time I change out my rotors, I can allocate my funds to other mods.
Old 03-22-19, 02:10 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Haven't received my order yet. Just ordered yesterday. Will post up my impression once I get them installed.
Old 03-25-19, 06:25 PM
TAURUSSLVR
Driver

UPDATE: Rear rotors installed.

Passenger side rear installed

Another shot

Doesn't look half bad when installed.
Not that noticeable since the hats are still being broken in. Still has the coating.

Initial thoughts: So far install was normal. Nothing to report there. I did spend about 10 mins sitting there and considering if I should stop and paint the calipers while I'm at it, but decided I'll do it at a later time. After the install and backing out of the garage I felt the car shudder while applying the brake. It felt sort of like when you go over a SNAP or rumble strip. I freaked out for a second thinking I did something wrong. When I went to check, everything looked fine. Actually drove back in and took the wheels off just to be safe. Been driving for about only 30 miles so far to bed the brakes and while there's the normal grinding, I don't hear any squealing as of yet. Not really expecting it but I'm on the look out if I do hear something.

Will give more updates and pics when the front rotors are installed.
Old 03-27-19, 04:35 PM
TXMAG
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Those rotors look great and EBC makes some damn good stuff too so I wouldn't worry to much. My only concern would be about brake dust which is why on my street driven daily driver cars I only use ceramic pads these days. I HATE HATE HATE cleaning wheels all the time!

Also, if possible, can you post up the part numbers for the front/rear rotors (and if you have AWD or RWD F-Sport) and pads? Always makes life easy when searching the forums if that information is in the thread. Annnndddddd.... You should follow up on this post in a few months with your impressions of the setup.
Old 03-28-19, 06:43 AM
TAURUSSLVR
Driver

Good looking out TXMAG!
Old 03-30-19, 07:48 AM
TAURUSSLVR
Driver

Front rotors and brakes installed.

OEM and EBC front rotor comparison

EBC Front dimple/slotted rotor and EBC yellowstuff

EBC yellowstuff pads

Initial thoughts: When I opened to packaging, I was a little disappointed that the geomet and nitrotherm coating was scuffed on the hat (you can see in the comparison pic) but I wasn't about to nitpick that issue. Installation of the front rotors and pads was a breeze compared to the rear. Only 2 bolts to crack loose to remove the caliper. One thing, don't lose your locking pin. Put it in a safe place like a magnetic tray. I spent a good 30 mins searching for that lil sucker. So same situation as with the rears, lots of shudder with the bedding process. Even though I had the same experience with the rears, I took it back in, took the wheels off, and made sure that I mounted the calipers correctly and torqued the lug nuts to spec. No squealing so far but only driven about 50 miles since install. The rears have 30 miles over the fronts but I'm just gonna group everything together and say an average of 75 miles so far. Will give another update when I've driven a bit more.
Old 04-09-19, 11:52 AM
TAURUSSLVR
Driver

You can see the lip on the top edge of the pad

UPDATES: So as of this post I've driven about 250mi. The rotors look great. Have gotten a couple complements on how they look by random people. (Which also makes me question why are they staring that much, or how close were you standing next to my car?) Performance wise, I do catch myself going into corners at about 10-15 miles higher than normal. These yellowstuff pads have some really nice bite! Took a couple of brakes to adjust from that feeling of being in a car with a new driver, back to being able to stop while still drinking a cup of coffee.I do feel more confident with the stopping power.
Now for the bad news. At about 200 I did get the dreaded brake squeal!! Now because the Lexus interior is sealed so well, it doesn't sound as loud as I thought it would....and then I rolled down the window.
The screeching that assaulted my audiophile sensitive hearing could only be described as a high A flat at maybe 96 - 97 decibels. That's what people have been hearing from outside?! Well damn! I'm glad I'm in here!! But seriously guys it was pretty bad. I tried my best to lessen the squeal as much as possible on the way home. I was able to discern that the squeal was coming from the driver side front brakes. So as soon as I got in, I jacked up the car, took the wheel off, and did a full take down of brake pads and rotor. The rotor looked fine, no abnormal grooves or warping (better not have any for a fricken new rotor). Was about to shave the pads with 300 grit but then I noticed that the inside pad had a lip on it.

A couple questions came to mind 1) Did I make sure I seated the pad correctly? 2) Did I get the wrong size rotor? 3) Did I get the wrong size of pads? 4) Over $500 for a full brake change and this happens!? WTF!? Well I was warned...

Answers I came up with 1) Fully clean out the caliper and check fitment 2) Contacted EBC directly and verify that the rotors and pads are the correct fitment 3) Shave off a little bit from the top of the brake pad so the lip comes off.

Well I didn't wanna do the last one and then have issues with the rotor wearing unevenly. I did contact EBC. Only took about 30 to verify correct parts are being used. So I fully cleaned the caliper and during installation I checked to make sure that the top of the brake pad was flush with the rotor. Also I swapped the pads so that the pad with the lip was on the outside. I did this just to see that if it happened again in the same area that it might be a rotor issue. I took the car out and so far 50 miles later no squeal. I am gonna give it another 150mi and see if it comes back but so far the squeal is gone. Only other issues so far is yeah a lot of brake dust. I'm gonna try the Meguiar's Brake Dust Barrier and see if that helps out.
Amazon Amazon
If anyone else has tried this stuff, let me know what your experience is.

But yeah so far with the fix I'm loving these rotors and pads. Aside from the brake dust I feel that it was an investment well spent. I'll keep you guys updated on any sequels for Return of the Squeal

NOTE I'll post pics of the yellowstuff brake pad so you can see the lip I'm talking about as soon as I can. If you guys have any questions or feel that there should be more information that needs to be included just let me know.

Last edited by TAURUSSLVR; 04-09-19 at 08:21 PM. Reason: added pictures
Old 04-09-19, 11:58 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by TAURUSSLVR
UPDATES: So as of this post I've driven about 250mi. The rotors look great. Have gotten a couple complements on how they look by random people. (Which also makes me question why are they staring that much, or how close were you standing next to my car?) Performance wise, I do catch myself going into corners at about 10-15 miles higher than normal. These yellowstuff pads have some really nice bite! Took a couple of brakes to adjust from that feeling of being in a car with a new driver, back to being able to stop while still drinking a cup of coffee.I do feel more confident with the stopping power.
Now for the bad news. At about 200 I did get the dreaded brake squeal!! Now because the Lexus interior is sealed so well, it doesn't sound as loud as I thought it would....and then I rolled down the window.
The screeching that assaulted my audiophile sensitive hearing could only be described as a high A flat at maybe 96 - 97 decibels. That's what people have been hearing from outside?! Well damn! I'm glad I'm in here!! But seriously guys it was pretty bad. I tried my best to lessen the squeal as much as possible on the way home. I was able to discern that the squeal was coming from the driver side front brakes. So as soon as I got in, I jacked up the car, took the wheel off, and did a full take down of brake pads and rotor. The rotor looked fine, no abnormal grooves or warping (better not have any for a fricken new rotor). Was about to shave the pads with 300 grit but then I noticed that the inside pad had a lip on it.

A couple questions came to mind 1) Did I make sure I seated the pad correctly? 2) Did I get the wrong size rotor? 3) Did I get the wrong size of pads? 4) Over $500 for a full brake change and this happens!? WTF!? Well I was warned...

Answers I came up with 1) Fully clean out the caliper and check fitment 2) Contacted EBC directly and verify that the rotors and pads are the correct fitment 3) Shave off a little bit from the top of the brake pad so the lip comes off.

Well I didn't wanna do the last one and then have issues with the rotor wearing unevenly. I did contact EBC. Only took about 30 to verify correct parts are being used. So I fully cleaned the caliper and during installation I checked to make sure that the top of the brake pad was flush with the rotor. Also I swapped the pads so that the pad with the lip was on the outside. I did this just to see that if it happened again in the same area that it might be a rotor issue. I took the car out and so far 50 miles later no squeal. I am gonna give it another 150mi and see if it comes back but so far the squeal is gone. Only other issues so far is yeah a lot of brake dust. I'm gonna try the Meguiar's Brake Dust Barrier and see if that helps out. https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G150.../dp/B006FUT15E If anyone else has tried this stuff, let me know what your experience is.

But yeah so far with the fix I'm loving these rotors and pads. Aside from the brake dust I feel that it was an investment well spent. I'll keep you guys updated on any sequels for Return of the Squeal

NOTE I'll post pics of the yellowstuff brake pad so you can see the lip I'm talking about as soon as I can. If you guys have any questions or feel that there should be more information that needs to be included just let me know.

one thing about the 4GS is it draws people's attention , since most people only see a ES or IS on the road. The 4GS is somewhat rarer, so people will notice it

Quick Reply: EBC Dimpled/Slotted rotors and EBC Yellowstuff