Help with wiring for Triple-Beam headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-20, 05:48 PM
thomi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring for triple beam

Originally Posted by songoku
You will need 16+ facelift (bumper, grille, etc) first as 2016 headlights won't fit with 2013 bumper/grille without modification.
yeah for sure I know that part, curious about the wiring part, did you need to strip or re-wire anything from the triple beam headlight or is it an exact plug and play?
Old 01-20-20, 07:59 PM
GS350BO
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by thomi
yeah for sure I know that part, curious about the wiring part, did you need to strip or re-wire anything from the triple beam headlight or is it an exact plug and play?
According to the wiring diagram they are different. You need the headlight module, one for each headlight if you don’t already have them and the module uses a different connector type. So you have to figure out how to make a connection between the old harness to the new connector on the module. Not sure how the others did it but I bought headlamp wire harness for my MY 13-15 and the connector (x2) that plugs into the headlight module. I plan on splicing the two together for a clean install. As far as wiring goes try following the Russian guy’s diagram mentioned above. This will get you started, any issues with dash lights or parts of the headlights not working will probably have to be sorted out thru some kind of programming by third party or dealership.
Old 01-20-20, 08:02 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350BO
According to the wiring diagram they are different. You need the headlight module, one for each headlight if you don’t already have them and the module uses a different connector type. So you have to figure out how to make a connection between the old harness to the new connector on the module. Not sure how the others did it but I bought headlamp wire harness for my MY 13-15 and the connector (x2) that plugs into the headlight module. I plan on splicing the two together for a clean install. As far as wiring goes try following the Russian guy’s diagram mentioned above. This will get you started, any issues with dash lights or parts of the headlights not working will probably have to be sorted out thru some kind of programming by third party or dealership.
$15 and you can get OBDII to usb cord and a techstream disk. Then you will have the same software and access to your car like the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
GS350BO (01-20-20)
Old 01-21-20, 03:23 AM
thomi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds good bro but a very confusing lol, not that good with electrical wiring work. I know this is too much to ask but in any way would you be able to send a photo of how your wiring looks and what connects into what?
Old 01-21-20, 05:42 PM
GS350BO
Driver

Still in the process of getting all the parts. Once I have everything and have the wiring done, I’ll post pics. Please note this might be a couple of weeks, since I have other priorities that are more important at the moment.
Old 01-21-20, 05:50 PM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Still in the process of getting all the parts. Once I have everything and have the wiring done, I’ll post pics. Please note this might be a couple of weeks, since I have other priorities that are more important at the moment.
Yes, please post pics/diagrams/whatever to help those who want to do this mod!
Old 04-07-20, 07:19 PM
Chungvatra
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 27 Posts

Has Anyone got the triple beam headlights working yet?
MOB561 (09-01-20)
Old 04-23-20, 05:40 PM
Chungvatra
Pit Crew

Finally I got the triple beam headlights fully working without warning lights.

The following 4 users liked this post by Chungvatra:
bob256k (09-03-20), GS350BO (04-23-20), lexus4jess (03-25-22), mikesd1980 (11-18-20)
Old 04-23-20, 06:13 PM
GS350BO
Driver

@ Chungvatra glad you got it working did you have to program the ecu to get everything working? I still haven’t had the chance to work on the swap.
Old 04-23-20, 06:14 PM
Chungvatra
Pit Crew

@ Chungvatra glad you got it working did you have to program the ecu to get everything working? I still haven’t had the chance to work on the swap.
Yes I programmed the ecu. Took me like a month or so to figure it out.
Old 04-23-20, 06:21 PM
GS350BO
Driver

Originally Posted by Chungvatra
Yes I programmed the ecu. Took me like a month or so to figure it out.
Sweet man. Do you mind listing the software and code used? So others who wants to the do swap can use your directions. Much appreciated.
Old 04-23-20, 06:41 PM
Chungvatra
Pit Crew

Sweet man. Do you mind listing the software and code used? So others who wants to the do swap can use your directions. Much appreciated.
It is hard to explain everything. You can google search how to program eeprom. Also I had to re-wire my dash harness. There was so much of work.
DeneAlex (04-24-20)
Old 04-23-20, 08:02 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

It is hard to explain everything. You can google search how to program eeprom. Also I had to re-wire my dash harness. There was so much of work.
Nice work! I'm sure you will get the 2016 clock working since you figured out this stuff. I also found the plug I made before and stuck that in the box.
Chungvatra (04-24-20)
Old 04-24-20, 03:17 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Hang on, you're reprogramming non volatile memory on the GS circuit boards? Hardcore
Old 04-24-20, 07:52 AM
DeneAlex
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You wire 13 to lowbeam pin of your car. You need to wire exactly what russian guy diagram shows. But it is just for lowbeam to work.
Thank you so much for your advice! And congrats with completing the swap!
I was able to light up the headlights and this brings me to the next step. I will greatly appreciate, if you correct me with my next steps plan.
After carefully reading Russian guy's blog I found myself on the step, when you give +/- and IG to the headlight, it tries to communicate with Body MPX ECU, gets no feedback from Body MPX and lights up low beam only. And he recommends two ways to fix this:
1. Wire up everything like on his schematic, program Arduino + can shield to generate Body MPX feedback, connect it to the CAN bus and everything should work (DRL, low/high beams).
2. Alternatively, wire everything as he recommends but instead of connecting CANL/CANH to Arduino connect these wires to Body MPX. Before that, Body MPX needs to be swapped with a newer one from 2016+ GS, but with EEPROM copied from the old ECU, because newer Body MPX has different processor code, designed to work with new headlights, but and all region and car settings are stored in EEPROM.
And, yes, headlights' + should be connected to headlight relay pin 3 or 1 to get constant +.
Does this all sound about right or close to what you have done?

Quick Reply: Help with wiring for Triple-Beam headlights