GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Help with wiring for Triple-Beam headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-20, 06:37 PM
Chungvatra
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by thomi

Hi, would you be able to explain step by step which wire goes to which number from the new headlight module to the cars headlight harness. The Russian guy's diagram is confusing and I have no idea that that bottom left piece is. My connector is exactly like the one on the bottom right. If you could draw it out out just send it through here that would be amazing.In much need of help right now.
That’s the headlight ECU connector. It’s located behind your left foot rest.
Old 06-29-20, 06:37 PM
thomi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeneAlex
Hi!
The connector you circled in bottom left corner is AFS ECU connector, located in left kick compartment in the cabin.
Thank you so much!! So let me get this straight, the yellow, blue, green, orange and black wires, they connect from one headight to the other headlight?? Then I just use one headlight to connect to the ecu? And what would I do with the harness that connect to my original headlight (bottom right pic)
Old 06-29-20, 06:38 PM
thomi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chungvatra
That’s the headlight ECU connector. It’s located behind your left foot rest.
Thank you so much!! So let me get this straight, the yellow, blue, green, orange and black wires, they connect from one headight to the other headlight?? Then I just use one headlight to connect to the ecu? And what would I do with the harness that connect to my original headlight (bottom right pic)
Old 06-29-20, 07:02 PM
DeneAlex
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Correct! yellow, blue, green, and black wires connect headlight ECUs. Left headlight is a master headlight, you connect it to AFS ECU connector to the wires indicated (can wires, level sensor wires, and IG wire.
You connect + and ground wires to the old harness, as well as turn signal lights, each side respectively.

However, diagram is missing one key point - in order to have all things working as supposed, you have to replace Body MPX ECU with a 16+ one, otherwise you will not be able to initialize the AFS in the headlights and you will have a constant error beep, or only low beams and no DRLs.

I have spare new headlight harness connectors and some other stuff, PM me if interested

Last edited by DeneAlex; 06-29-20 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-29-20, 08:00 PM
GS350BO
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

DeneAlex do you have the part number for the mpx? How hard was it to install that piece? Thanks
Correct! yellow, blue, green, and black wires connect headlight ECUs. Left headlight is a master headlight, you connect it to AFS ECU connector to the wires indicated (can wires, level sensor wires, and IG wire.
You connect + and ground wires to the old harness, as well as turn signal lights, each side respectively.

However, diagram is missing one key point - in order to have all things working as supposed, you have to replace Body MPX ECU with a 16+ one, otherwise you will not be able to initialize the AFS in the headlights and you will have a constant error beep, or only low beams and no DRLs.

I have spare new headlight harness connectors and some other stuff, PM me if interested
Old 06-29-20, 08:14 PM
thomi
Driver School Candidate

Sounds good, where would 6 and 11 go for the new headlights? And 23 & 24 goes straight to 12 & 13 on the ecu? What is that arduino and can shield? What about number 16 for the old connector, just shows a blank orange line. Besides the body MPX ecu, is there any other components I would need to buy? Sorry for all these questions, trying to install my headlights properly, don’t want to run into any problems mid way hahaha.
Old 06-30-20, 06:06 AM
DeneAlex
Driver

You can omit wire 6 connection (it goes to auto high beam light button in the dash), wire 11 goes to old harness wire 16 (turn signal, as indicated on diagram).
You can google about arduino and can shield, but obviously you don't need them. As i said, you have to replace Body MPX ECU with a 16+ one (I used MPX from 2019 Lexus GSF 89221-30451 and it worked perfectly), otherwise you will not be able to initialize the AFS in the headlights and you will have a constant error beep, or only low beams and no DRLs. You need to have Toyota Techstream and working OBD cable to program ECUs
Old 06-30-20, 07:15 AM
thomi
Driver School Candidate

You can omit wire 6 connection (it goes to auto high beam light button in the dash), wire 11 goes to old harness wire 16 (turn signal, as indicated on diagram).
You can google about arduino and can shield, but obviously you don't need them. As i said, you have to replace Body MPX ECU with a 16+ one (I used MPX from 2019 Lexus GSF 89221-30451 and it worked perfectly), otherwise you will not be able to initialize the AFS in the headlights and you will have a constant error beep, or only low beams and no DRLs. You need to have Toyota Techstream and working OBD cable to program ECUs
would I still need to wire 23 & 24 (new) to 12&13 ecu if I don’t buy the arduino and can shield?
Old 06-30-20, 07:17 AM
4wilds
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

After reading though this entire thread I have come to the conclusion I'm good with just keeping my '15 front end and headlights.
Old 06-30-20, 07:25 AM
GS350BO
Driver

If not using Arduino then pin 23 and 24 connection not needed because16+ mpx is being used instead.
Old 06-30-20, 07:31 AM
DeneAlex
Driver

Originally Posted by GS350BO
If not using Arduino then pin 23 and 24 connection not needed because16+ mpx is being used instead.
Nope, it is still needed, because this is CAN bus connection. New headlights are controlled by CAN, that is why you need new MPX
The following users liked this post:
GS350BO (06-30-20)
Old 07-01-20, 10:31 AM
GS350BO
Driver

I couldn’t find the MPX with the part number provided. I did see an mpx #89220-30X60 priced at $555.97, not sure if this is the correct one as I didn’t find any other mpx.
Old 07-02-20, 08:05 PM
Saff
Driver School Candidate

Default Triple beam GSF headlamps

Originally Posted by GS350BO
According to the wiring diagram they are different. You need the headlight module, one for each headlight if you don’t already have them and the module uses a different connector type. So you have to figure out how to make a connection between the old harness to the new connector on the module. Not sure how the others did it but I bought headlamp wire harness for my MY 13-15 and the connector (x2) that plugs into the headlight module. I plan on splicing the two together for a clean install. As far as wiring goes try following the Russian guy’s diagram mentioned above. This will get you started, any issues with dash lights or parts of the headlights not working will probably have to be sorted out thru some kind of programming by third party or dealership.

You also will want to make sure the ballast for each headlamp is on the correct side, the ballast are directional one for left and one for right. They plug and work the n either headlamp but if it’s on the wrong side the lights only come when the car is running and you won’t get any high beams to work or the DRL by itself.
Old 07-05-20, 10:49 AM
thomi
Driver School Candidate

Nope, it is still needed, because this is CAN bus connection. New headlights are controlled by CAN, that is why you need new MPX
okay after putting all the wires together, would I need some type of resistor for the led of any sort so the led lights won’t be blown from too much power?? And I won’t be running the arduino and can shield, so I won’t plug in wires 23&24
Old 07-05-20, 11:56 AM
GS350BO
Driver

I think you still have to wire according to DeneAlex. From Afs to 23&24.
okay after putting all the wires together, would I need some type of resistor for the led of any sort so the led lights won’t be blown from too much power?? And I won’t be running the arduino and can shield, so I won’t plug in wires 23&24

Quick Reply: Help with wiring for Triple-Beam headlights