GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Help with wiring for Triple-Beam headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-21, 10:19 AM
orteeze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When programming/flashing the ECU's in Techstream, do you have to identify the vehicle you are working on as a 2016 even if I'm installing on a 2014? Or does it even matter?
Old 04-05-21, 11:42 AM
DeneAlex
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by orteeze
When programming/flashing the ECU's in Techstream, do you have to identify the vehicle you are working on as a 2016 even if I'm installing on a 2014? Or does it even matter?
It doesn't matter
Old 04-05-21, 01:37 PM
orteeze
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DeneAlex
It doesn't matter
Thanks again, Alex. Figured I would ask here for good record keeping as all tribal knowledge of this swap is being documented on this thread.
Old 04-07-21, 12:14 PM
orteeze
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DeneAlex
With 16 GSF MPX in hand all you have to do is swap the MPX and initialize AFS using tech stream. Assuming you have all connections according to the diagram and old AFS disconnected.
If the 16 GSF is US, and I assume your car is US as well, you don't even need to swap EEPROm.
I simply used 19 GSF MPX and it worked just fine. No need to use Arduino.
I come to you again with a question..

I bought a 2016 GS350 MPX from a US car to use on my 2014 GS350. Do I have to copy the EEPROm from existing MPX to new?

As far as techstream goes, from what I'm gathering on this thread, I only have to do the following in this order:

Flash new EEPROm to new MPX (only if it's not US?)
Initialize headlight ECU's
Synch keys to new MPX
Old 04-07-21, 12:29 PM
DeneAlex
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

If your car is US (I assume it is) you don't need to swap EEPROM. The regional settings are the same. Once you swap the MPX, you will loose smart access. You have to erase one of the key fobs and add it again. This will restore the functionality of BOTH keyfobs.
Next, you initialize AFS and you are done!
The following users liked this post:
orteeze (04-07-21)
Old 09-22-21, 02:26 AM
enigoofy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hirurg78
I didnt. I used arduino code like the Andrewhren recomend. I have spare body ECU from 16 GSF. Do you think it will be easier to just copy eeprom from 2014 to 2016 and install it?
Hello, so I've been trying to insert the code Andrewhren provided and I keep getting error messages, fatal error and no such file or directory. Could you please help me out?
Old 09-22-21, 05:46 PM
hirurg78
9th Gear

Id rather recommend you to simply install MPX BODY from car that comes with triple beam. Gsf or Gs350. It may works with arduino, but delayed and improper functioning.
Old 09-22-21, 10:51 PM
enigoofy
Driver School Candidate

Id rather recommend you to simply install MPX BODY from car that comes with triple beam. Gsf or Gs350. It may works with arduino, but delayed and improper functioning.
Okay would you tell me the location of that unit? I can’t find it on the internet
Old 09-25-21, 01:44 PM
waikai79
Driver School Candidate

My spare MPX part# 89221-30450 one digit difference with yours. Unfortunately, it doesnt seems to be Lexus part#. I cant pull it by lexus part catalog. May I ask you what do you mean "reprogram the key"? cause my key start the car but buttons (lock,unlock,trunk opener) doesnt work. As per what I see is the trunk doesnt open, mirrors doesnt move and doesnt fold, Keyless entry doesnt work, Do you think it make sense to order the new MPX from dealer from 2019+ GS (used is hard to find). It cost over 500 and not returnable
Also, let me ask you, maybe you can give me an idea. My vehicle originally RWD without DRS (dynamic rear steering) option. But couple years ago, I installed DRS option from burned car. I replaced complete left side harness, which go to the ECU and rear steering rack, replace complete rear suspension and also replaced the VGRS module. I did that cause i tried to drive RS350 with DRS and was so impressed. This is another level of stability and dynamic steering. But unfortunately, car doesnt see the DRS module and give me the constant error "check DRS" and "check VGRS". Techstream show no communication with DRS and VGRS shows fault "No communication with DRS" However DRS unit in trunk has a power and CAN bus lines are live. I broke my head already about it. Its a pretty much rare and expensive option and I cant find any threads about it. I pulled all the units involved in DRS according to tech doc schematic and went to the dealer with both VINs (DRS system donor is same year as mine). We check all the parts that are different and I tried to replace them all. - doesn t work. Maybe you have an idea where to dig.
Did MPX 89221-30450 body work for the triple beam headlights and what did you do to resolve all the error codes from Techstream?
Old 10-06-22, 07:15 AM
GS350BO
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Mpx location

It’s located under the dash. I happened to stumble upon it while installing a remote start. You need to remove 3 screws, side panel facing the door and small trim piece under vent in same area using a trim tool. The leather trim by your thigh needs removal too and can be pulled from the narrowest point. The module should have a sticker indicating it’s the mpx or body control module.

Originally Posted by enigoofy
Okay would you tell me the location of that unit? I can’t find it on the internet
Old 04-27-23, 02:21 PM
Fathooh
1st Gear

Default Facelift 2014 to 2018 GS

Hi brother ,

how did you solve this problem ?

I am planning to facelift from 2014 to 2018 GS.

p.s : My car is Platinum edition and has AFS.
Old 08-26-23, 02:40 AM
Charlie777
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Going the route of OEM triple beams. My car (2013 with auto level. I know about the splicing of the harness to connect the 2016+ triple beams, and that I will need the body mpx ecu from a 2016+ triple beam.
My question: Is the auto level motor external to the headlight or internal? Trying to see if I need to purchase anything else.
Old 08-26-23, 08:08 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 550 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie777
Going the route of OEM triple beams. My car (2013 with auto level. I know about the splicing of the harness to connect the 2016+ triple beams, and that I will need the body mpx ecu from a 2016+ triple beam.
My question: Is the auto level motor external to the headlight or internal? Trying to see if I need to purchase anything else.
The motor is internal.
Old 08-26-23, 08:49 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie777
Are you going to use the 16+ bumper also?
Old 08-26-23, 10:41 AM
Charlie777
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Are you going to use the 16+ bumper also?
I am. Already have the bumper, f sport grille and Foglight trim, and brake ducts.

Quick Reply: Help with wiring for Triple-Beam headlights