GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2018 gs350 header options

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-19 | 05:49 AM
arafas
Pit Crew

Default 2018 gs350 header options

Hello are there any header options for 2GR-FKS engine since the exhaust ports are build within the head. I saw URD selling them for tacoma same engine.

https://www.urdusa.com/urd-power-ext...acoma-3-5l-v6/

Thanks
Old 03-27-19 | 10:50 AM
PilotX
Driver

One would assume PPE unless there was a change in the engine for the 18 MY.
Old 03-27-19 | 10:54 AM
arafas
Pit Crew

def a change in terms of engine, basically its like one downpipe from the head, not 3 ports like older model.
Old 03-27-19 | 11:17 AM
PilotX
Driver

Don’t see your MY on PPEs website. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
arafas (03-28-19)
Old 04-04-19 | 05:53 AM
arafas
Pit Crew

spoke with PPE they are in process of making mock up currently to test in their area. Spoke about testing on my vehicle when it goes to production.
Old 05-09-22 | 09:13 AM
jevononeal
10th Gear

Has there been any head way made on this? Anyone with a 2018 GS have experience with them?
Old 05-09-22 | 11:46 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Vivid and RR Racing have them in stock. I have not seen any reviews. This is not a true header, just the cat pipe, as the manifold is integrated into the head.

https://www.vividracing.com/ppe-engi...153744086.html

https://www.rr-racing.com/PPE-Racing.../ppe935101.htm
https://www.rr-racing.com/PPE-Racing...pe935101-g.htm

https://www.rr-racing.com/PPE-Racing...ppe935101a.htm
https://www.rr-racing.com/PPE-Racing...e935101a-g.htm

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 05-09-22 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-09-22 | 12:37 PM
jevononeal
10th Gear

Originally Posted by panyo64
What does that mean that it's not a true header?

Elsewhere I read something about people dealing with smells due to replacing headers. Is this an issue? My car is in pristine condition so if I do this upgrade I don't want to lose any day to day comfort.

I appreciate everyone's information and knowledge
Old 05-09-22 | 02:14 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Its more like a Downpipe only. The Honda Accords and some others have this Config also due to the all in one Head and Exhaust port Design. On the GS350 and most V6 & V8 cars now there are a set of Mid secondary Cats, so in total are actually 4 cats. Likely if you don't remove the 2nd set you wont have smell. The thing is I'm not sure if the O2 sensor has one up front for the Cat check engine light? This is if you consider the set with No Cats built in.

There would be some performance gains but without pulling anything else in the mid section its not going to be as much. Then to help, you got to go to a Intake pipe and filter with the Stock air box, and a Tune. Now someone's going to say it not worth it that has not tried it. Even thought here me a 3 of of my friends with 13 - 18 GS350, actually 4, with one of of state have all done some staged mods and it does work. Its backed up by runs against one car with, one without, and the before and after Dragy timed run constantly to compare.

I have Headers, Intake exhaust Mods, and a custom tune, with some other Mods, but not quite had all the time to complete and install go to the Dyno and dial in Tune. Will soon. I only paid like $550 for my long tube equal length Headers, and ceramic coated and wrapped myself. Also have EPA approved G Sport Cats High flow Cats.

If I had the 2GR-FKS I would get the D3 Performance tune at around 27hp, do some mild exhaust changes, and run the AEM intake pipe and K&N Filter mod with Stock Air box (AEM Flow bench tested their GS350 Intake with K7N Filter) . You would do just as well, removing the Secondary Cats (of course for Off Road Track use only), cut of the rear resonators behind the Mid section, and putting in some better flowing resonators & a Axel Back exhaust. Its a nice bump, if its what your looking for. I've felt and drove a FKS with those mods. Those Headers are way high for $1500 plus Tax and shipping. I don't know if you would install yourself, but if not you are going to get crazy install price quotes like $800 - $1200 lol! They look way easier than the 13 2GR. I helped install those in a 2GR-FSE 15 GS350 and it was so tight and a PITA. But well worth the gains with other mods, especially response in the Midrange and Tq.

The FSK Head change was to keep cooler not increase performance. Putting Headers on the FSE kinda did the same thing better taking away the heat soak and backup due to the Cats right off the Factory exhaust manifold.
Old 05-09-22 | 02:45 PM
jevononeal
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jgscott
Its more like a Downpipe only. The Honda Accords and some others have this Config also due to the all in one Head and Exhaust port Design. On the GS350 and most V6 & V8 cars now there are a set of Mid secondary Cats, so in total are actually 4 cats. Likely if you don't remove the 2nd set you wont have smell. The thing is I'm not sure if the O2 sensor has one up front for the Cat check engine light? This is if you consider the set with No Cats built in.

There would be some performance gains but without pulling anything else in the mid section its not going to be as much. Then to help, you got to go to a Intake pipe and filter with the Stock air box, and a Tune. Now someone's going to say it not worth it that has not tried it. Even thought here me a 3 of of my friends with 13 - 18 GS350, actually 4, with one of of state have all done some staged mods and it does work. Its backed up by runs against one car with, one without, and the before and after Dragy timed run constantly to compare.

I have Headers, Intake exhaust Mods, and a custom tune, with some other Mods, but not quite had all the time to complete and install go to the Dyno and dial in Tune. Will soon. I only paid like $550 for my long tube equal length Headers, and ceramic coated and wrapped myself. Also have EPA approved G Sport Cats High flow Cats.

If I had the 2GR-FKS I would get the D3 Performance tune at around 27hp, do some mild exhaust changes, and run the AEM intake pipe and K&N Filter mod with Stock Air box (AEM Flow bench tested their GS350 Intake with K7N Filter) . You would do just as well, removing the Secondary Cats (of course for Off Road Track use only), cut of the rear resonators behind the Mid section, and putting in some better flowing resonators & a Axel Back exhaust. Its a nice bump, if its what your looking for. I've felt and drove a FKS with those mods. Those Headers are way high for $1500 plus Tax and shipping. I don't know if you would install yourself, but if not you are going to get crazy install price quotes like $800 - $1200 lol! They look way easier than the 13 2GR. I helped install those in a 2GR-FSE 15 GS350 and it was so tight and a PITA. But well worth the gains with other mods, especially response in the Midrange and Tq.

The FSK Head change was to keep cooler not increase performance. Putting Headers on the FSE kinda did the same thing better taking away the heat soak and backup due to the Cats right off the Factory exhaust manifold.
What kind of noise is introduced with these mods?
Old 05-09-22 | 05:37 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Any change in the Factory exhaust set up will be louder than stock. Its a Lexus to start with.

I have mine not so much louder but much deeper. Much like the difference between a lower playing 15" sub vs a 8" sub at the same volume.

If you go Headers, midpipe change and axel back it's going to be very Motorcycle pitched extra loud, with Rasp and Drone. I hate loud, Rasp and drone.
Old 05-10-22 | 11:34 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by jevononeal
What does that mean that it's not a true header?

Elsewhere I read something about people dealing with smells due to replacing headers. Is this an issue? My car is in pristine condition so if I do this upgrade I don't want to lose any day to day comfort.

I appreciate everyone's information and knowledge
A header typically is a series of pipes that come off of each exhaust port on the cylinder head and merge into each other. A lot of the power is found in deleting the catalytic convertor in this section of the exhaust, but also from length of the tubes and the shape of the merge collector.

This is PPE's header for 2013-2015 GS350s.

On the 2GR-FKS found in the 2016-2020 GS350, the exhaust from all 3 cylinders on each bank merges within the head (integrated exhaust manifold), so the head only has 1 exhaust port. Accordingly, the only thing you can do is replace the single pipe that comes off the head.

This is PPE's header for 2016-2020 GS350s, available with high flow cats, top picture, and catless, bottom picture.

Originally Posted by jgscott

Is D3 able to tune 2018+ cars yet? Last I heard, our ECUs were still untuneable.

Originally Posted by jevononeal
What kind of noise is introduced with these mods?
Volume and, in most cases, rasp. You can listen to several GS350s with full exhaust on YouTube.
Old 05-10-22 | 12:11 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

D3 can tune any Lexus ECU. Not sure who starts saying these things. The Hardest one according to them was actually the 2013 2GR-FSE. The 2013 Lexus GS350 ECU was another version, but he did hack and Tune for me and another CL member here with a 2013 also.

2016+ Lexus GS350 2GR-FKS
https://d3performance.net/index.php/...ormance-tuner/
Old 05-10-22 | 10:44 PM
00goobs
Intermediate

Great information on this thread! Thank you!
Old 05-15-22 | 09:14 AM
jevononeal
10th Gear

Originally Posted by panyo64

Volume and, in most cases, rasp. You can listen to several GS350s with full exhaust on YouTube.
any solid examples you wish you post? Catless means more power but more undesirable effects, am I correct in assuming such?

Are there major differences in the two?