GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Engine Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-19, 11:18 AM
JamesGS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine Coolant

Hi guys, my 2013 F-sport AWD is hitting 100K miles. Had all the other fluids changed except coolant. I want to do this as well but not sure where the drain plug is located. Any idea? For those who have changed your coolant, appreciate any tips you have. Thanks.
Old 04-02-19, 11:38 AM
waygreen
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Backside of the radiator, off-center towards the passenger side.

There are two others on the block, one behind(ish) the alternator and one up top, I believe under the intake manifold.

Get a Chilton online. They're cheap and real handy

Good luck!
Old 04-02-19, 11:47 AM
JamesGS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by waygreen
Backside of the radiator, off-center towards the passenger side.

There are two others on the block, one behind(ish) the alternator and one up top, I believe under the intake manifold.

Get a Chilton online. They're cheap and real handy

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. Did you have to remove any plastic covers to access and can you access it from the top or have to get under the car? Also, is it a petcock type drain plug? Thanks.
Old 04-02-19, 12:03 PM
waygreen
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, remove the splash guard. I don't really know what a petcock is. The plug is just a regular screw-in type plug. You don't have to remove the radiator to drain it or anything crazy.
The following users liked this post:
JamesGS350 (04-02-19)
Old 04-02-19, 03:05 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

I haven't dealt with the coolant on my GS yet but have on a Camry with similar V6. On the GS you'll have to remove the splash guard as the only opening in there I think is the little door for removing the oil filter however you might be able to reach through that and turn the petcock but I haven't inspected that myself yet.

You can drain each engine block drain, one on each bank of the engine but depending on access it might be difficult and a hassle. Some people just drain and fill the radiator each oil change and don't worry about draining the block. I'm still maintaining a Camry with about 118,000 miles and I think I'll start doing that. My GS is still not in need of it's first coolant change but I may consider doing this when it's time. On the Camry draining the radiator yields about 4 quarts and draining the block yielded about 3 more quarts which is about 7 of the 9.5 total coolant or 73%. GS would probably be similar but I show it has a 10.3 qt capacity.

Some general tips:
  • Get a Lisle radiator fill funnel or similar. It will make filling a lot easier.
  • You could flush with water to dillute the remaining coolant in the block so as to remove as much of the old coolant as possible but here's why you shouldn't do that. 1) you shouldn't put anything but distilled water in your car but even if you had disilled water you shouldn't for the next reason, 2) you will have a difficult time of ever getting the proper 50/50 mix again if you flush with water. It could be done I suppose but it will be a hassle and you'd also have to find full strength coolant. After filling and draining several times you'll be left with mostly water with a small amount of coolant so even if you have some full strength coolant how much do you add to achieve the 50/50 mix? How much water is left in the block and heater core? How can you find out? If you only ever add premixed coolant you'll never deviate from the proper mixture though you will spend more on coolant that you're just throwing away but in the long run it's better for your car.

Last edited by thallium; 04-02-19 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-02-19, 05:00 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I think our car have bleeder valve that need to open too.
Old 04-03-19, 08:52 AM
JamesGS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thallium
I haven't dealt with the coolant on my GS yet but have on a Camry with similar V6. On the GS you'll have to remove the splash guard as the only opening in there I think is the little door for removing the oil filter however you might be able to reach through that and turn the petcock but I haven't inspected that myself yet.

You can drain each engine block drain, one on each bank of the engine but depending on access it might be difficult and a hassle. Some people just drain and fill the radiator each oil change and don't worry about draining the block. I'm still maintaining a Camry with about 118,000 miles and I think I'll start doing that. My GS is still not in need of it's first coolant change but I may consider doing this when it's time. On the Camry draining the radiator yields about 4 quarts and draining the block yielded about 3 more quarts which is about 7 of the 9.5 total coolant or 73%. GS would probably be similar but I show it has a 10.3 qt capacity.

Some general tips:
  • Get a Lisle radiator fill funnel or similar. It will make filling a lot easier.
  • You could flush with water to dillute the remaining coolant in the block so as to remove as much of the old coolant as possible but here's why you shouldn't do that. 1) you shouldn't put anything but distilled water in your car but even if you had disilled water you shouldn't for the next reason, 2) you will have a difficult time of ever getting the proper 50/50 mix again if you flush with water. It could be done I suppose but it will be a hassle and you'd also have to find full strength coolant. After filling and draining several times you'll be left with mostly water with a small amount of coolant so even if you have some full strength coolant how much do you add to achieve the 50/50 mix? How much water is left in the block and heater core? How can you find out? If you only ever add premixed coolant you'll never deviate from the proper mixture though you will spend more on coolant that you're just throwing away but in the long run it's better for your car.
I see it. Don't have to remove anything other than the panel for the oil filter; can easily reach over to unplug the petcock. Will get it done this weekend. Thank you!
Old 04-03-19, 09:57 AM
thallium
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JamesGS350
I see it. Don't have to remove anything other than the panel for the oil filter; can easily reach over to unplug the petcock. Will get it done this weekend. Thank you!
Thanks. Good to know.
Old 04-03-19, 04:41 PM
robd88
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesGS350
Are you referring to the radiator drain? Or one or both of the engine block drains?
Old 04-03-19, 04:55 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Old 04-03-19, 05:20 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

This is one of those jobs that I would take the easy way out. Rather than flushing and block drain plugs, I would simply drain and refill the radiator. Then run it and repeat for a total of 3 or 4 times.
Old 04-04-19, 10:10 AM
thallium
Intermediate

If my calculations are right, with a 10.3 qt capacity system, draining approx. 4 qts. from the radiator would yield 61% old coolant left each drain. Here is the table of how that would look after each change:
  1. 61.2%
  2. 37.4%
  3. 22.9%
  4. 14.0%
  5. 8.6%
  6. 5.2%
  7. 3.2%
  8. 2.0%
  9. 1.2%
  10. 0.7%
If you were able to get around 6-7 qts. out total by draining the block too, you could achieve the same thing in about 5 drains.
Old 04-04-19, 11:15 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

It's my understanding that the cooling system has a capacity of 9.9 U.S. quarts. If each back-to-back drain-and-fill removed 4 quarts the following will be the percentage of new fresh coolant in the system:

1st Drain-and-Fill: 40.40%
2nd Drain-and-Fill: 64.48%
3rd Drain-and-Fill: 78.83%
4th Drain-and-Fill: 87.39%
5th Drain-and-Fill: 92.48%
6th Drain-and-Fill: 95.52%
7th Drain-and-Fill: 97.33%
8th Drain-and-Fill: 98.41%
9th Drain-and-Fill: 99.05%
10th Drain-and-Fill: 99.43%

Three or four drain-and-fills will accomplish ~80% replacement of old coolant with new fresh coolant, which should be more than adequate.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (04-05-19)
Old 04-04-19, 12:18 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bclexus
It's my understanding that the cooling system has a capacity of 9.9 U.S. quarts. If each back-to-back drain-and-fill removed 4 quarts the following will be the percentage of new fresh coolant in the system:

1st Drain-and-Fill: 40.40%
2nd Drain-and-Fill: 64.48%
3rd Drain-and-Fill: 78.83%
4th Drain-and-Fill: 87.39%
5th Drain-and-Fill: 92.48%
6th Drain-and-Fill: 95.52%
7th Drain-and-Fill: 97.33%
8th Drain-and-Fill: 98.41%
9th Drain-and-Fill: 99.05%
10th Drain-and-Fill: 99.43%

Three or four drain-and-fills will accomplish ~80% replacement of old coolant with new fresh coolant, which should be more than adequate.
My manual for a 2013 RWD states 10.3 quarts coolant capacity so perhaps the AWD are 9.9? My table is stating the inverse of yours (remaining old coolant) and since you were basing it off of 9.9 they would differ a little so it looks like they pretty much agree
Old 04-04-19, 01:04 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by thallium
My manual for a 2013 RWD states 10.3 quarts coolant capacity so perhaps the AWD are 9.9? My table is stating the inverse of yours (remaining old coolant) and since you were basing it off of 9.9 they would differ a little so it looks like they pretty much agree
9.9 quarts or 10.3 quarts - I don't know which is correct, but the difference is only .4 qts so it's rather insignificant.

Yes, we definitely pretty much agree based on our slightly different capacity and inverse percentage table.

See attachment (below) for a neat little Excel spreadsheet (ATF Drain-and-Fill Calculator) that can be used for transmission or coolant drain-and-fills to determine percentage of fluid replacement. (Cells C5 & C6 can be changed.)
Attached Files

Last edited by bclexus; 04-04-19 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine Coolant