GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

anyone here do their own maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-19, 04:29 PM
NuwenKhanh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone here do their own maintenance?

Just curious, do you guys do your own maintenance like oil change and changing brake pads and rotors?
Old 04-03-19, 04:43 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I do my own maintience as long as its not very hard
Old 04-03-19, 04:55 PM
NuwenKhanh
Driver School Candidate

yeah i just bought an 2015 and thinking about doing on my own cause closest dealership near me is 30 miles out. It shouldn't be hard right? i have dont many oil changes and brake jobs in my life, but never done it on any Lexus.
Old 04-03-19, 05:22 PM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I don’t bother with oil changes because they are too messy and time consuming for my busy schedule and because they are part of the CPO warranty, but I do my own brakes. Super easy. If you’ve ever done a brake job, then you will find that the brakes are EXTREMELY easy to do on these cars.

And if if you’ve never done brakes before but are comfortable turning a couple of wrenches and are even the least bit technically inclined, you should be fine.
Old 04-03-19, 05:37 PM
eddie420

Received 630 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by NuwenKhanh
yeah i just bought an 2015 and thinking about doing on my own cause closest dealership near me is 30 miles out. It shouldn't be hard right? i have dont many oil changes and brake jobs in my life, but never done it on any Lexus.
It's a standard oil wrench, like any Toyota.
Old 04-03-19, 06:49 PM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

ive had the car since january 2018. ive changed the front brakes and a brake fluid flush, did the spark plugs, i always change my own oil, i do my own cabin and engine filters, ive done the pcv valve, i wanna change the tranny filter since the dealership wont do it
Old 04-03-19, 06:56 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by GSRockstar
ive had the car since january 2018. ive changed the front brakes and a brake fluid flush, did the spark plugs, i always change my own oil, i do my own cabin and engine filters, ive done the pcv valve, i wanna change the tranny filter since the dealership wont do it
o.o u changed ur pcv valve? is it because it give a code or just for regular maintince?
Old 04-03-19, 07:42 PM
NuwenKhanh
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys ill probably do common maintenance on my own to save some money. Looked at couple videos and it is pretty straight forward and easy.
Old 04-04-19, 03:19 AM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by richard203
o.o u changed ur pcv valve? is it because it give a code or just for regular maintince?
just regular maintenance, im correcting a few things based on a very thorough uoa i just completed recently.
Old 04-04-19, 05:59 AM
waygreen
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GSRockstar
just regular maintenance, im correcting a few things based on a very thorough uoa i just completed recently.
What did you find in the UOA? I also noticed in another thread you advised against Blackstone. Have you gotten inconsistent results from Blackstone? Who do use instead? I thought about sending a sample to the company that tests our locomotive oil to compare it to Blackstone but it sounds like maybe you have already done a comparison. TIA
Old 04-04-19, 06:32 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

It's all pretty easy and if you need help there are a couple video's on youtube helping you out in regards to oil changes and brakes.
Old 04-04-19, 06:36 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 361 Posts

Yes, I enjoy servicing our vehicles. I also service many of my friend's vehicles as well.
I haven't done anything on the GS as it is under CPO. And I like the way they detail it...
But I will.
Old 04-04-19, 07:01 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 402 Likes on 284 Posts

Just curious, do you guys do your own maintenance like oil change and changing brake pads and rotors?
Yes, I service my own car like many here. In the end, it is just a Toyota motor with a higher price car wrapped around it. I'm not fond of the cartridge style of oil filter and prefer the old style spin on that everything else I've ever owned used but it is what it is.

I change the oil, rotate the tires, check the diff fluid levels and have replaced a rear hub with no major issues.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (04-05-19)
Old 04-04-19, 08:09 AM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by waygreen
What did you find in the UOA? I also noticed in another thread you advised against Blackstone. Have you gotten inconsistent results from Blackstone? Who do use instead? I thought about sending a sample to the company that tests our locomotive oil to compare it to Blackstone but it sounds like maybe you have already done a comparison. TIA
i did an analysis with terry dyson from dyson analysis. it was expensive but informative and quite frankly, he talked about alot of things i had never even heard of.

My issue with blackstone is they dont use accurate methods for measuring fuel and water dilution and their analysis is not very thorough. i have heard their method of particle counting for soot and dirt etc is very good though. There are a bunch of labs that have iso certification and that should help you find a good lab. i forget which certs are best but that info can be looked up on bitog somewhere. I wanted the best so i went with dyson and im glad i did.

When i can ill post a good copy of my UOA here later but theres a gentlemans agreement with terry not to discuss any of his proprietary info from his analysis and i am going to respect his wishes. but what i can say is i was worried about fuel dilution and my high silicon readings, blackstone wasnt reading anything for fuel before but i KNEW something was up and the new UOA confirmed my paranoia.

Last edited by GSRockstar; 04-04-19 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-04-19, 09:02 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

I've done my own brakes so far, not that hard and huge payback. Oil changes I job that stuff out, the cost/benefit from doing those yourself is typically terrible unless you have a lift around.

-Mike

Quick Reply: anyone here do their own maintenance?