GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Supercharged GS350

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-23, 06:32 PM
gsintokyo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
This s/c is a great FI performance mod that produce real gains. I know 2 ppl that have that s/c. One on a IS350 and another on a RC350. It's the fine tuning of the ecu that is needed, fine tuned engine load, a/f ratio, TB position sensor and more to include the injector sizes. Our same basic engine with a s/c, runs perfect when installed on the Tacoma, TRD s/c kit, the Lotus 2GR 3.5 s/c, and many other manufactures both factory and aftermarket with zero problems. Once this s/c is installed it just needs some actual real time on the Dyno and on the street with ecu capable custom tuning for a experience very good tuner.

Not sure if many know this but with the right mods, this 3.5 s/c kit outruns the ISF, RCF and GSF.

It's not unusual that engine and kit builders are not Tuners, and Tuners are normally not engine and kit builders, in most cases. But not all.

This comment just sparked more encouragement in me, I assumed this is where most would go wrong..

High expectations for performance / reliability.
Inexperience with FI modding.
Lack of even communal support for our engine.

I do want to learn as much as I can though before fully diving into this, as far as tuning / mods / maintenance habits to support the power upgrades. Even with 380~400 whp I think I would be satisfied with as far as a dependability / quick performance. But who wouldn’t want more if there’s opportunity.

As far as being able to take on our big brothers, what would those mods be?
Old 09-15-23, 08:30 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,299 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Just the s/c on the 3.5, plus Headers and exhaust and Tune. The RR Racing kit comes with everything else. Having the upper/lower Intake manifolds ported and TB enlarged, would likely add another 20-30hp on top. Actually some of the s/c cars have no complaints about the drivability at all. Some do. If was me and had problems I would have Tune by Loi do the final custom Tuning for me. D3 Performance could also.

I've seen the 3.5 s/c dyno at closer to 420 if I remember correctly. I think.

The following users liked this post:
gsintokyo (09-15-23)
Old 09-16-23, 10:17 PM
TreysGS460
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

The ISF in that video is a very poor comparison, he runs mid 13s consistently, and its not due to the road or conditions. There are stock ISFs running mid 12s without the added unreliability of the RR supercharger.

Marty had to get a new trans not long after this video.
gsintokyo (09-19-23)
Old 09-17-23, 10:32 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TreysGS460
The ISF in that video is a very poor comparison, he runs mid 13s consistently, and its not due to the road or conditions. There are stock ISFs running mid 12s without the added unreliability of the RR supercharger.

Marty had to get a new trans not long after this video.
Seems you find these 3.5 post to comment in the different places here on CL, as we have had these rebuttals before. If I may provide a few facts here: Which 2GR V6 3.5 did you know has had damage with the s/c? Can you link us please. I know of none. Just asking.

1. Marty had to put in a new Trans. But... both him and RR, have stated in many threads that he was already feeling some Trans problems on his 100K plus IS350 s/c even, Before he installed the s/c. If you look at any of the IS350, GS350 (3rd Gen), even RC350 threads there are some who had Trans problems without the s/c installed even still. Is the reason why myself and other advocate the need to do Trans fluid exchanges but it's a choice.

2.. As I said the, 3.5 2GR is very capable with the s/c, and there are other mods that would move up the hp on it some more. I know there are doubt's about the 2GR but. Right here right on CL is a 290hp 'ish, IS350 running 4.2sec's - 4.5 on 0-60 with just both on's and a Tunes. He has multiple different run's and vid's of different run's to back it up. Again this is even without the s/c added. Also runs 1/4 miles @ 12.8s.

3. There is 1 RC350 owner here in Atl who has the RR s/c on his RC350 with other engine mods. I saw that car take a ISF on a 1/4 Drag strip track here about a little over a year ago. The guy that owns the RC350 does not come on CL because of post that he was going to blow up the s/c'd RC350. It still going strong to date and showing up at different local car meets here.

4. Here is a member who also does not post much here, who just s/c his 3.5 2GR, and that thing crazy fast. Some should follow and watch the cars he is beating with ease. He has ZERO complaints about the s/c. If I am not mistaken about a year ago I think he has to put a replacement trans in his car, and he did Not have the s/c on yet, just for reference. Stay tuned to see him beat just about every car he races.

This 2GR V6 s/c'd is crazy fast.

https://www.youtube.com/@Boosted_Polo/videos

Last edited by jgscott; 09-17-23 at 10:35 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jgscott:
gravesg (09-17-23), gsintokyo (09-19-23)
Old 09-17-23, 11:42 AM
TreysGS460
Intermediate

Seems you find these 3.5 post to comment in the different places here on CL, as we have had these rebuttals before. If I may provide a few facts here: Which 2GR V6 3.5 did you know has had damage with the s/c? Can you link us please. I know of none. Just asking.

1. Marty had to put in a new Trans. But... both him and RR, have stated in many threads that he was already feeling some Trans problems on his 100K plus IS350 s/c even, Before he installed the s/c. If you look at any of the IS350, GS350 (3rd Gen), even RC350 threads there are some who had Trans problems without the s/c installed even still. Is the reason why myself and other advocate the need to do Trans fluid exchanges but it's a choice.

2.. As I said the, 3.5 2GR is very capable with the s/c, and there are other mods that would move up the hp on it some more. I know there are doubt's about the 2GR but. Right here right on CL is a 290hp 'ish, IS350 running 4.2sec's - 4.5 on 0-60 with just both on's and a Tunes. He has multiple different run's and vid's of different run's to back it up. Again this is even without the s/c added. Also runs 1/4 miles @ 12.8s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi3XHU0m_gA

3. There is 1 RC350 owner here in Atl who has the RR s/c on his RC350 with other engine mods. I saw that car take a ISF on a 1/4 Drag strip track here about a little over a year ago. The guy that owns the RC350 does not come on CL because of post that he was going to blow up the s/c'd RC350. It still going strong to date and showing up at different local car meets here.

4. Here is a member who also does not post much here, who just s/c his 3.5 2GR, and that thing crazy fast. Some should follow and watch the cars he is beating with ease. He has ZERO complaints about the s/c. If I am not mistaken about a year ago I think he has to put a replacement trans in his car, and he did Not have the s/c on yet, just for reference. Stay tuned to see him beat just about every car he races.

This 2GR V6 s/c'd is crazy fast.
Yes, I love your rebuttals, they are always fillllled with great information that totally relates to the conversation lol

1. There are many IS350s that DON'T have trans problems, but if you get supercharged, you likely will. That is not the only issue though, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...se-help-2.html There are more posts like this, I don't have time to go through them all, but there is no argument that the sc'd 350s have the same reliability as not. Sure can it be made reliable, maybe, but with much more work. RR is also just an annoying company to work with. Poor quality control and customer service doesn't help.

2. has nothing to do with my comment, I know the 2gr capabilities, I had a FBO rr tuned 2IS350. FBO tuned ISFs run 11s right?

3. races are great, but I'm sure you've seen me comment that they don't always tell the whole story. What did that rc350 run?

4. I know of him, he was doing all the NA mods and decided to go FI, great build page for sure, but what does he run? He just shows street races which again don't tell the whole story. Crazy fast? I'm guessing he runs high 11s or low 12s right?
jgscott (09-17-23)
Old 09-17-23, 12:28 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Yes, I love your rebuttals, they are always fillllled with great information that totally relates to the conversation lol

1. There are many IS350s that DON'T have trans problems, but if you get supercharged, you likely will. That is not the only issue though, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...se-help-2.html There are more posts like this, I don't have time to go through them all, but there is no argument that the sc'd 350s have the same reliability as not. Sure can it be made reliable, maybe, but with much more work. RR is also just an annoying company to work with. Poor quality control and customer service doesn't help.

2. has nothing to do with my comment, I know the 2gr capabilities, I had a FBO rr tuned 2IS350. FBO tuned ISFs run 11s right?

3. races are great, but I'm sure you've seen me comment that they don't always tell the whole story. What did that rc350 run?

4. I know of him, he was doing all the NA mods and decided to go FI, great build page for sure, but what does he run? He just shows street races which again don't tell the whole story. Crazy fast? I'm guessing he runs high 11s or low 12s right?

Your Link in 1. is the IS F not IS350.

Even still that Link backs up what I said about a GOOD TUNER and Tuning correctly. Or a minor problem, did you see what the problem actually was? Not the s/c. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10990621 <---------- SEE POST #52

Sorry there were so many car at the Track that night, I don't remember what either car ran, just who Won. You do realize that reaction times, tires, and lots more play a part, when you are talking about =/- .5s or so. I know you already know this. Listen I do understand your point is valid, there are 3 sides to story's. One side, the other side, then the conclusion you make.

PS: I am still a little jealous that you have my old GS460 4.6 V8 motor. Pisses me off they only did a 3.5 in the 4th Gen. I also love what you have done to increase the performance on your GS460. How about sharing your 3rd Gen GS link you have.

Last edited by jgscott; 09-17-23 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Grammer
TreysGS460 (09-17-23)
Old 09-17-23, 12:36 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Disagree politely and maturely guys, or take it to pm.
jgscott (09-17-23)
Old 09-17-23, 01:13 PM
TreysGS460
Intermediate

I meant no disrespect, just some banter. The truth is JG is one of the few people on CL that I can have a logical and reasonable argument with, and he at least tries to use evidence most of the time, which is more than what most do on here.

Your Link in 1. is the IS F not IS350.

Even still that Link backs up what I said about a GOOD TUNER and Tuning correctly. Or a minor problem, did you see what the problem actually was? Not the s/c. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10990621 <---------- SEE POST #52
You're right, I tend to lump in all of their products together, not sure I've seen many issues outside tuning with the SCs but, I have heard of various parts not fitting perfectly and requiring more fab and I believe there needs to be cuts made into the engine bay. But you are correct, the real issue lies in the tuning, and it seems RR has had a few instances where they couldn't get that done or took a very long time to remedy. (and not just with their boosted tunes)

Sorry there were so many car at the Track that night, I don't remember what either car ran, just who Won. You do realize that reaction times, tires, and lots more play a part, when you are talking about =/- .5s or so. I know you already know this. Listen I do understand your point is valid, there are 3 sides to story's. One side, the other side, then the conclusion you make.

PS: I am still a little jealous that you have my old GS460 4.6 V8 motor. Pisses me off they only did a 3.5 in the 4th Gen. I also love what you have done to increase the performance on your GS460. How about sharing your 3rd Gen GS link you have.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...8-gs460-7.html

Hoping to set some non F car records soon, just gotta get my money right. Do you have a page for your 350? I'm sure you're shooting for 12s soon.

Last edited by TreysGS460; 09-17-23 at 01:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TreysGS460:
DaveGS4 (09-17-23), jgscott (09-17-23)
Old 09-17-23, 02:01 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I meant no disrespect, just some banter. The truth is JG is one of the few people on CL that I can have a logical and reasonable argument with, and he at least tries to use evidence most of the time, which is more than what most do on here.

You're right, I tend to lump in all of their products together, not sure I've seen many issues outside tuning with the SCs but, I have heard of various parts not fitting perfectly and requiring more fab and I believe there needs to be cuts made into the engine bay. But you are correct, the real issue lies in the tuning, and it seems RR has had a few instances where they couldn't get that done or took a very long time to remedy. (and not just with their boosted tunes)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...8-gs460-7.html

Hoping to set some non F car records soon, just gotta get my money right. Do you have a page for your 350? I'm sure you're shooting for 12s soon.
Hey same here, always enjoy your comments and learned and few things from you too. I can't seem to get my GS350 done.

I do have the Headers, (Intake AEM), flow ported Intakes. and some more already installed. Can't tune the D3 Pro Tuner final on the Dyno yet, because I have not settled on the Exhaust makeup cause I don't want drone or loud, noise. Just a Venturi designed exhaust that flows and helps vacuum the exhaust from the exhaust ports nicely. My job is just so time consuming right now. My plan is with the Holidays coming to take some extra time off, to get FINISHED! My end game is a safe reduced Compression engine with meth/water injection, retarded timing and a Zex progressive staged 100 shot NO2 kit added too.

I've had Nitrous on 2 previous Lex before. Why I want to do it the right way with Progressive NO2. lol!

https://www.carscoops.com/2012/01/ni...-lexus-is-350/

The following 3 users liked this post by jgscott:
DaveGS4 (09-17-23), gsintokyo (09-19-23), TreysGS460 (09-18-23)
Old 09-19-23, 03:30 PM
TreysGS460
Intermediate

I've never seen that clip before! That might show others that buying a faster car to begin with is best, since you can spend 10k on the bolt ons, SC, and tuning, but if you didn't change your wheels, tires, brakes, suspension, or diff, your gonna have a bad time.

F cars are already setup for their power level and then some, completely stock.
The following 3 users liked this post by TreysGS460:
gsintokyo (09-19-23), ItzFilyO (09-19-23), jgscott (09-19-23)
Old 09-19-23, 05:03 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I've never seen that clip before! That might show others that buying a faster car to begin with is best, since you can spend 10k on the bolt on's, SC, and tuning, but if you didn't change your wheels, tires, brakes, suspension, or diff, your gonna have a bad time.

F cars are already setup for their power level and then some, completely stock.
I think it depends.... if you are just at a lost of how to mods your car for hp, why even get a GS F which for the money and class is itself underpowered stock. Way more faster cars that also handle better to just buy a GS F. Don't get me wrong I all most pulled the trigger and bought a GSF about 2 times now myself.

On the spending $10k. Let's do the math estimate and real cost evaluations. According to the sale sites, the average 2016 GS350 is about $24 - $25k.. The average 2016 GS F is about $55k. Difference is $30k. I think the RR s/c is about $9k for the GS350. I'm sure you know that Tune by Loi, D3 Performance, and/or installing a Motech ECU and set up would make the GS350 s/c drive perfect, and likely get a few more hp also. What's the better value? If you know how to mod cars. lol!

Also the IS350 in the vid that lost it really had nothing to do with wheels, tires, brakes, suspension, or diff and the wreck. He lost the car and obviously does not know how to drive especially on a track. If you know anything about Nitrous, it hit's immediately. I would say he needs some driver track training with his set up, but then again there are $1/2 million dollar Drag specific setup cars that have done the same exact thing. On just a bolt on NO2 set up, normally you don't want the NO2 to activate and spray until 2nd gear, or just before 2nd gear. Is why I said a Progressive setup.

Traction disabled fully on a GS F and/or buying a faster car to begin with could have resulted in losing a more expensive GS F the same. There was a thread a while back in the CL LFA section entitle, "Ok, who Totaled their LFA"? Just for validation about what I am saying here is that - "faster car to begin with" bought, and the LFA has everything under the Sun as Technology for this to NOT happen to it's Driver. Notice the IS350 car and LFA were trying to both correct themselves, until Driver intervention with things like coming fully off the accelerator, fighting crazy movements with the wheel. Not what you do at all.

LFA Totaled. Man do I love how the LFA sounds!

Facebook Post
Old 11-15-23, 05:14 PM
gsintokyo
Rookie

After deep deep thinking

I’ve decided I will go this path lol I just can’t stop myself from thinking about it. I don’t plan on being the fastest car but I think it will be surprising how quick and fun it can become.

Anyways not sure whether to document it or just come back after all is done. It would be embarrassing if I end up detonating and sending the engine off to heaven. But I’m hoping to start with upgrades by March or sooner and be at the fine tuning stage before summer hits.
Old 11-15-23, 07:39 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

This was the Ultimate S/C complete Kit Build like Factory correct for our 2GR. I saw these years ago I sometimes wish I had spent the $$$$ and bought one. They are still in Japan and in Europe used sometimes and come up for sale sometimes. The problem is the Shipping cost to the U.S.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-project.html

The RR S/C kit works and is nice but before I spent $8k plus install cost I would have someone like Frankenstein Motorworks build my motor up to a low compression motor. The Motor would get about 450rwhp @ 8000rpm. It would be lifetime reliable, and slap on Nitrous it would Dyno out at 500hp + rear wheel.

gsintokyo (02-16-24)
Old 11-16-23, 05:39 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,469 Posts

This was the Ultimate S/C complete Kit Build like Factory correct for our 2GR. I saw these years ago I sometimes wish I had spent the $$$$ and bought one. They are still in Japan and in Europe used sometimes and come up for sale sometimes. The problem is the Shipping cost to the U.S.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-project.html

The RR S/C kit works and is nice but before I spent $8k plus install cost I would have someone like Frankenstein Motorworks build my motor up to a low compression motor. The Motor would get about 450rwhp @ 8000rpm. It would be lifetime reliable, and slap on Nitrous it would Dyno out at 500hp + rear wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyxrlbi5t_4&t=312s

The problem I'd be concerned about would be getting parts for the S/C.

The video of the MR2 reminds me of my '93 MR2 Turbo pocket-rocket.

The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
gsintokyo (02-16-24), jgscott (11-16-23)
Old 02-16-24, 12:36 PM
gsintokyo
Rookie

That is true whenever needing to replace parts of the SC.

and wow that Mr2 is sitting mean I like it
bclexus (02-16-24)

Quick Reply: Supercharged GS350