GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Can I upgrade Rotors from 1 piece to 2 Piece?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 12:36 PM
gmoss
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can I upgrade Rotors from 1 piece to 2 Piece?

Hello Everyone,
I am looking for confirmation on my rotor upgrade. My dealer is not much help on this.
I have a 2013 450h with the one piece front rotors and need rotors/pads and would like to get the 2 piece OEM F-Sport rotors. Can someone please tell me if this is compatible with my gs and any parts needed outside of rotors/pads?
Are the rear rotors the same for F-Sport and standard GS?

Thank you

Last edited by gmoss; 04-12-19 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-12-19, 01:41 PM
gmoss
Driver School Candidate

These are the rotors I was looking at: https://www.ebay.com/itm/252855946447?ul_noapp=true
Old 04-12-19, 03:46 PM
waygreen
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am new here and don't have much to offer beyond the cliche "do a search" that I mean with no I'll will. I am pretty sure you will find that many folks have moved away from the two piece rotors due to noise.
Old 04-12-19, 09:55 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

It not an upgrade. If you want to make your brake setup look better, just paint your calipers.
Old 04-13-19, 07:36 AM
gmoss
Driver School Candidate

I have searched the forum about the OEM 1 and 2 piece rotors and have not found confirmation that the rotors/pads are interchangeable. I also am not looking for the 2 piece for aesthetics. The 2 piece are better as they are lighter and have reduced fade, hence the reason Lexus puts them on the f sports. I saw the clicking issue and that does not scare me off.
I like OEM and do not want to go aftermarket.

Just need to know if the rotors and pads are interchangeable. Thanks again.
Old 04-13-19, 10:57 AM
kode3
Driver

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

I think the non-F brakes are around 13 inch and the F's are 14. Guessing you would need new calipers/brackets/and maybe even knuckles/hubs. I would start by cross referencing all relevant part numbers between F and non-F before going further.
Old 04-13-19, 11:18 AM
TXMAG
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The rotors and pads are not interchangeable in the stock configuration. At a minimum you would need new knuckles, hubs, and calipers. You might even need different wheels as well due to clearance issues of a bigger brake setup. By the time you pieced this together you will probably spend the same amount of money, spend a lot more time, and have a worse performing product than if you would have just bought a quality Wilwood/Brembo/APRacing big brake kit to begin with. I understand wanting to stay with OEM parts but since they weren't engineered for your platform in the first place, what's the point?

FYI - The performance gains you mentioned as your motivation to pursue this swap won't be noticed anywhere outside of a track or SERIOUS canyon carving type of environment; your money would be significantly better spent buying the best tires you can afford.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (12-02-20)
Old 04-13-19, 11:29 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by gmoss
Hello Everyone,
I am looking for confirmation on my rotor upgrade. My dealer is not much help on this.
I have a 2013 450h with the one piece front rotors and need rotors/pads and would like to get the 2 piece OEM F-Sport rotors. Can someone please tell me if this is compatible with my gs and any parts needed outside of rotors/pads?
Are the rear rotors the same for F-Sport and standard GS?

Thank you
I don't think it is worthwhile to do this on the Hybrid. In the hybrid, most of your stopping power comes from regenerative braking with the exception of heavy braking and speeds below 5 mph or so. That's why the brakes on Hybrid vehicles last literally forever! Your braking performance will not improve by upgrading the brakes. Also, as others have already mentioned, upgrading to the F-Sport is not as simple as changing the rotors. You will have to change a lot more, like the calipers, pads, and possibly some other things. If you are set on upgrading the brakes, you might be better off going aftermarket.
Old 04-13-19, 11:31 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by gmoss

Just need to know if the rotors and pads are interchangeable. Thanks again.
No, they are not.
Old 04-13-19, 11:33 AM
gmoss
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the input. I do not want to go that far into brake mods. The brakes are quite good on my 450h but the front rotors are now a bit warped as I do drive it hard. With the extra weight of the 450h I thought I could move up to the f sport brake setup easier and prevent future hard driving brake issues.
Old 04-13-19, 05:22 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by TXMAG
The rotors and pads are not interchangeable in the stock configuration. At a minimum you would need new knuckles, hubs, and calipers. You might even need different wheels as well due to clearance issues of a bigger brake setup. By the time you pieced this together you will probably spend the same amount of money, spend a lot more time, and have a worse performing product than if you would have just bought a quality Wilwood/Brembo/APRacing big brake kit to begin with. I understand wanting to stay with OEM parts but since they weren't engineered for your platform in the first place, what's the point?

FYI - The performance gains you mentioned as your motivation to pursue this swap won't be noticed anywhere outside of a track or SERIOUS canyon carving type of environment; your money would be significantly better spent buying the best tires you can afford.
Might as well get the GS-F brakes
Old 04-14-19, 03:16 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 212 Posts

I have the 2 piece discs and have never heard any creaking of any description. Not sure I'd pay to upgrade to them, so much has to be changed.