GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Sun Roof Rattle AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-19, 04:29 PM
krawfo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sun Roof Rattle AGAIN

I had the sun roof rattle fixed under warranty a couple of years ago but it has returned. Will Lexus still cover this out of warranty or am I stuck?
Old 04-26-19, 05:06 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Just buy the rubber gasket and replace yourself. It's a 10 minute job.
Old 04-26-19, 07:25 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by er34
Just buy the rubber gasket and replace yourself. It's a 10 minute job.
Do you know the part number? Thanks in adavnce
Old 04-26-19, 08:22 PM
er34
Instructor

It's 63251-30100
Old 04-27-19, 08:23 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Does it rattle with the roof open? Mine rattles with it open or closed so I've ruled out the weatherstrip.
Old 04-27-19, 09:29 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Does it rattle with the roof open? Mine rattles with it open or closed so I've ruled out the weatherstrip.
Have a look at the sunroof deflector. I had been tracking down the rattle for so long that the dealership eventually replaced everything and it came down to that being the issue.
Old 04-27-19, 11:42 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gs350lex
Have a look at the sunroof deflector. I had been tracking down the rattle for so long that the dealership eventually replaced everything and it came down to that being the issue.
I've grabbed the deflector in different areas while it's rattled and I don't think that's it. I think I'm just going to live with it unless it gets worse. My biggest fear is the dealer having to remove the headliner to maybe correct the issue or not.
Old 04-28-19, 07:47 AM
mrminsky
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought I would have been the one posting this, but you got ahead of me. My rattle started about 5 weeks ago. It got pretty bad to the point that I thought the spear tire came loose. At that point, I was not really sure whether it came from the back of the sunroof liner, the back seat, or the sunroof itself. Sometimes is very hard to pinpoint sounds and rattles. But I was finally able to conclude that it came from the inside of the headliner although I was not sure whether it was the sunroof, tracking, module, or something else. For whatever reason, the sound would come and go. I took to the dealer and of course, they could not hear it. As soon as I left the dealer and I drove three miles, I turned around and went back. The tech went out with me and he heard it..... Kept the car for a day and that started the fiasco with the dealer. Loaner number one was provided.

The fix lasted 6 days. Went back to the dealer. Kept the car for a day and called me to tell rattle is gone. This time I went right before the service department was closing. Got in the car and I did not have to leave the covered service area to hear the rattle. Drove around the parking lot and I could not believe that in my mind, nothing was actually done to fix this. Refused to take the car on the spot and got back on the loaner. Service person went out with me and could not believe it.

The car was picked up two days later, only for the "quietness" to last one day. Sure enough, I had to take it in when the rattle was present otherwise I knew what they were going to say. Drove around with the tech and he could not figure out exactly where the rattle was coming from other than we knew it was coming from the roof area. But after driving it for 3 miles and hearing the sound, it went away after going through a rough road. He proceeded to tell me that not knowing exactly where the sound was coming from, he is not so keen on removing the headliner since "that is a big job especially not knowing what it is"... Of course, I said, "I honestly do not care what its going to take, I just want it gone. Keep the car for as long as it takes"

All in all, the car has been at the dealership 5 times in 3 weeks. I had the pleasure to drive 3 RX350 in different colours and one NX300. All of them have been a pleasure to drive and surprisingly quiet to the point that I am losing hope in my GS350 getting fixed. Not to mention the frustration that comes with it. The dealership seems to be against removing the headliner (too big of a job and risky) vs continuing to do minimal patches. I am not sure if this is a good sign, but the car was dropped off Wednesday morning and as of today, I have not heard from them. I told him that I do not care if everything up top needs to be replaced. At one point do you get Lexus involved?

Last edited by mrminsky; 04-28-19 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-28-19, 08:15 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mrminsky
I thought I would have been the one posting this, but you got ahead of me. My rattle started about 5 weeks ago. It got pretty bad to the point that I thought the spear tire came loose. At that point, I was not really sure whether it came from the back of the sunroof liner, the back seat, or the sunroof itself. Sometimes is very hard to pinpoint sounds and rattles. But I was finally able to conclude that it came from the inside of the headliner although I was not sure whether it was the sunroof, tracking, module, or something else. For whatever reason, the sound would come and go. I took to the dealer and of course, they could not hear it. As soon as I left the dealer and I drove three miles, I turned around and went back. The tech went out with me and he heard it..... Kept the car for a day and that started the fiasco with the dealer. Loaner number one was provided.

The fixed lasted 6 days. Went back to the dealer. Kept the car for a day and called me to tell rattle is gone. This time I went right before the service department was closing. Got in the car and I did not have to leave the covered service area to hear the rattle. Drove around the parking lot and I could not believe that in my mind, nothing was actually done to fix this. Refused to take the car on the sport and got back on the loaner. Service person went out with me and could not believe it.

The car was picked up two days later, only for the "quietness" to last one day. Sure enough, I had to take it in when the rattle was present otherwise I knew what they were going to say. Drove around with the tech and he could not figure out exactly where the rattle was coming from other than we knew it was coming from the roof area. But after driving it for 3 miles and hearing the sound, it went away after going through a rough road. He proceeded to tell me that not knowing exactly where the sound was coming from, he is not so keen on removing the headliner since "that is a big job especially not knowing what it is"... Of course, I said, "I honestly do not care what its going to take, I just want it gone. Keep the car for as long as it takes"

All in all, the car has been at the dealership 5 times in 3 weeks. I had the pleasure to drive 3 RX350 in different colours and one NX300. All of them have been a pleasure to drive and surprisingly quiet to the point that I am losing hope in my GS350 getting fixed. Not to mention the frustration that comes with it. The dealership seems to be against removing the headliner (too big of a job and risky) vs continuing to do minimal patches. I am not sure if this is a good sign, but the car was dropped off Wednesday morning and as of today, I have not heard from them. I told him that I do not care if everything up top needs to be replaced. At one point do you get Lexus involved?
Trust me when i tell you this; I know how exactly how you feel as i faced a similar issue. I would advise you to try another dealership which is what i ended up doing and they took care of me. They replaced literally everything involving the sunroof (all under warranty of course) and finally my issue was resolved (the issue being the sunroof deflector). If it gets to the point that you have to get Lexus Corporate involved then by all means go for it but it means most likely that the issue is with that particular dealership. The dealership that i currently deal with never gives me any hassle and always try to help to the best of their ability. Like i said i would most likely try another dealership if this particular one refuses to do anything and if you end up in the same situation as the first dealership then by all means call up Lexus!
Old 04-28-19, 08:31 AM
mrminsky
Rookie

Originally Posted by gs350lex
Trust me when i tell you this; I know how exactly how you feel as i faced a similar issue. I would advise you to try another dealership which is what i ended up doing and they took care of me. They replaced literally everything involving the sunroof (all under warranty of course) and finally my issue was resolved (the issue being the sunroof deflector). If it gets to the point that you have to get Lexus Corporate involved then by all means go for it but it means most likely that the issue is with that particular dealership. The dealership that i currently deal with never gives me any hassle and always try to help to the best of their ability. Like i said i would most likely try another dealership if this particular one refuses to do anything and if you end up in the same situation as the first dealership then by all means call up Lexus!
Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking. If this dealership doesn't get to the bottom of it, then I will try a different dealership. or perhaps get Lexus involved. They are so reluctant to remove the liner and that is perhaps the puzzling thing. I tried to play with the sunroof deflector and initially, I thought that that was exactly the problem. However, they said not the issue.
Old 04-28-19, 08:40 AM
er34
Instructor

Removing the headliner can create all sort of problems later, that's why they want to avoid it as much as possible. They probably got burned more than a few times.
Old 04-28-19, 08:50 AM
mrminsky
Rookie

Removing the headliner can create all sort of problems later, that's why they want to avoid it as much as possible. They probably got burned more than a few times.
The technician did mention that the liner can break, but how else do you really get to the bottom of it? What if the rattle is coming from the backtrack? Perhaps they can replace the reflector and the strips and do it by process of elimination, but I highly doubt they do it that way. In all honesty, when I think of Lexus, I think of the anti-BMW quality. So far that has not been my experience. I get the fact that this is a machine and it can happen to anyone. But this is my second Toyota product, and so far the experience has been the same. I do love the car, but so far i these annoyances have been a letdown. Hopefully, this can be addressed. The car was purchased as CPO and will probably take a bath if this continues.
Old 04-28-19, 12:00 PM
charley95
Pole Position

My 18 is so random that I could see why on some occasions the dealer couldn't witness the rattle. I feel the frustration you're having but, there are other makes out there that will give you more headaches. Why this is an issue on some and not others is unknown. I've never experienced this on my 14 RX but there are other rattles mainly due to our terrible roads here in Illinois.
Old 04-30-19, 01:11 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

When the dealer fixed my rattle (third try), they ended up replacing the tracks and other components to the sunroof. To do that work, they had to remove the headliner which in turn required the removal of the windshield to get the headliner out. This was a few years ago and so far so good.
Old 04-30-19, 01:32 PM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Davenlei
When the dealer fixed my rattle (third try), they ended up replacing the tracks and other components to the sunroof. To do that work, they had to remove the headliner which in turn required the removal of the windshield to get the headliner out. This was a few years ago and so far so good.

This is really a disappointment I'm not sure why Lexus is still dealing with this this has been going on since 2013 GS

Quick Reply: Sun Roof Rattle AGAIN