GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Nail in Passenger Rear Tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-19, 05:55 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts
Default Nail in Passenger Rear Tire

Down to 30 psi from 35.. Topped up with air, heading to either Goodyear or Discount Tire in the morning. Never had a car with TPMS before, and the Goodyear I frequented used air tools in the past with my older cars that ended up scratching the wheel around the lug nuts. So to take the best care of my 7-month old GS, what should I ask the tire store to do, or refrain from tomorrow? At a minimum, I was planning on asking to not use air tools, and to ensure the lug nuts are torqued correctly. Anything else I should be aware of/concerned with?
Old 04-26-19, 06:00 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 360 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by chinee
Down to 30 psi from 35.. Topped up with air, heading to either Goodyear or Discount Tire in the morning. Never had a car with TPMS before, and the Goodyear I frequented used air tools in the past with my older cars that ended up scratching the wheel around the lug nuts. So to take the best care of my 7-month old GS, what should I ask the tire store to do, or refrain from tomorrow? At a minimum, I was planning on asking to not use air tools, and to ensure the lug nuts are torqued correctly. Anything else I should be aware of/concerned with?
Discount tire should do these things by default. Can't say the same for Goodyear, I've had bad experiences at Goodyear stores.
Old 04-26-19, 06:03 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Discount Tire...
Old 04-26-19, 07:39 PM
chinee
Racer

Originally Posted by np20412
Discount tire should do these things by default. Can't say the same for Goodyear, I've had bad experiences at Goodyear stores.
Originally Posted by bclexus
Discount Tire...
Discount Tire it is... !
Old 04-26-19, 07:51 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Discount Tire will repair your tire properly (from the inside) and re-balance it at no cost...as long as the nail is not in the shoulder of the tire.

Just tell the Discount Tire advisor that your car is new and you are a little OCD and you'd like to make sure your wheel is removed and reinstalled without any damage to the rim or the lug holes. You can watch what they do from outside the bay if you wish. I suspect you'll be a Discount Tire fan afterward...and you'll buy your tires and have them installed by them in the future. In my opinion - Discount Tire is tops!

Last edited by bclexus; 04-27-19 at 09:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (04-29-19)
Old 04-26-19, 08:04 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Thumbs up for Discount / America's tire. My go to tire store for all my cars. But I don't trust them with my JDM wheels. Their employees are typically high school/college kids. They don't care about your expensive wheels. If you want the best care, go to a local performance shop that specializes in aftermarket wheels. They usually have proper touchless mounting equipment and training to not scratch your wheels.
NebulaGrey (04-26-19)
Old 04-27-19, 08:12 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

I understand the concern. Why not just take the wheel off and bring it in another car? Your reducing other things getting damaged by doing so. When it's time for tires on mine I'll take them off and transfer them to the shop in my RX.
Old 04-27-19, 09:41 AM
Discount Tire
Former Sponsor

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Thank you everyone for the referrals, we greatly appreciate it!

@chinee come on in and we'll make sure you're taken care of - thank you for the opportunity!
jdpdata (04-27-19)
Old 04-27-19, 09:49 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

chinee - Let us know how things went getting your tire repaired...
Old 04-27-19, 12:07 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

@Discount Tire kudos for monitoring this thread, didn't know you guys did that. Could you tell me if any of your America's Tire stores in San Gabriel Valley area in California offer touch-less tire mounting and have trained technicians that knows how to use it. I have a store close to me in West Covina, but when I spoke to the Manager, he couldn't assure me that his guys won't scratch my rims when mounting tires. I called around many close-by stores, none offer touch-less mounting. Many of us here run custom aftermarket wheels that costs many thousands of dollars and months of lead time to build/deliver from Japan. It would be a shame if they get scratch during mounting. I could go to a nearby performance shop that offer touch-less, but they require two months advance appointment for any work which is not practical if I get a flat and need repair.
Old 04-27-19, 08:38 PM
chinee
Racer

Originally Posted by bclexus
Discount Tire will repair your tire properly (from the inside) and re-balance it at no cost...as long as the nail is not in the shoulder of the tire.

Just tell the Discount Tire advisor that your car is new and you are a little OCD and you'd like to make sure your wheel is removed and reinstalled without any damage to the rim or the lug holes. You can watch what they do from outside the bay if you wish. I suspect you'll be a Discount Tire fan afterward...and you'll buy your tires and have them installed by them in the future. In my opinion - Discount Tire is tops!
Made my appt online for 8:30am today, got there at 8:15 and I was promptly taken care of. Clean shop and professional and courteous service. I liked the layout of the work area and the huge volume of tires, that's when I noticed the small floor lifts... clearly this shop is not setup for maintenance, only wheels and tires. It was a new store so I could see that training was still ongoing. The employees did seem on the young side, but if they hire right and train even better, there's reason to hope it will be enough. I voiced my concerns that the finish of my wheels be protected from damage and that they were torqued the proper way, they said that's how they operate. I was in and out in 45 minutes.

Also, while I was observing, I saw a manager (I think) remove and replace the TPMS, which I thought was odd, I was wondering maybe the new employee-in-training may have damaged it. So when he came in I asked if there was a problem, and he explained that he was replacing the seals to ensure the TPMS did not leak soon after leaving the store, a preventative measure.

Discount Tire seems to have a good business model, if they can maintain a high level of service and standards, they can win at this game. I hope the model stands the test of time, especially in South Florida. If they do, they just got a new customer.

Last edited by chinee; 04-27-19 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-28-19, 12:31 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chinee
Made my appt online for 8:30am today, got there at 8:15 and I was promptly taken care of. Clean shop and professional and courteous service. I liked the layout of the work area and the huge volume of tires, that's when I noticed the small floor lifts... clearly this shop is not setup for maintenance, only wheels and tires. It was a new store so I could see that training was still ongoing. The employees did seem on the young side, but if they hire right and train even better, there's reason to hope it will be enough. I voiced my concerns that the finish of my wheels be protected from damage and that they were torqued the proper way, they said that's how they operate. I was in and out in 45 minutes.

Also, while I was observing, I saw a manager (I think) remove and replace the TPMS, which I thought was odd, I was wondering maybe the new employee-in-training may have damaged it. So when he came in I asked if there was a problem, and he explained that he was replacing the seals to ensure the TPMS did not leak soon after leaving the store, a preventative measure.

Discount Tire seems to have a good business model, if they can maintain a high level of service and standards, they can win at this game. I hope the model stands the test of time, especially in South Florida. If they do, they just got a new customer.
chinee - Glad you are happy with their work. And, the price was good too, right?

It's not like Discount Tire is a new company. Discount Tire has been doing this same topnotch work at each of their 900+ [current] stores since the beginning in 1960. It's nice to know that Discount Tire only does tires and wheels - no other products or maintenance...not even wheel alignments. Every single store does the exact same first-rate, outstanding performance - wire brush wheel hub debris, use of state-of-the-art Hunter Road Force balancing equipment, hand torque lug nuts in a 'star' pattern, replace TPMS gaskets, etc. And, they will work with you on warranty issues and competitive pricing. I personally will not go anywhere else for my daily-drive vehicles...

Here are some of the guys from my area meeting just two miles from my house that trust Discount Tire with their high-end daily-drive vehicles!

Last edited by bclexus; 04-28-19 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-29-19, 08:18 AM
Discount Tire
Former Sponsor

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Thank you for the awesome comments. It makes it a great Monday morning to come in and see positive customer experiences.

Jdpdata, the America's Tire stores should have touch less Coats machines installed. I would recommend as was mentioned to speak to the store Manager and let them know your concern with your wheels. They will instruct the crew chief to take extra care with your wheels.

Last edited by Discount Tire; 04-29-19 at 09:26 AM.
jdpdata (04-29-19)
Old 04-29-19, 09:14 AM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

I used to work at Discount Tire for a few years in the mid ninties and I can confirm most of the comments here. It was a great place to work. They paid well, even for entry level and the majority of guys I worked with were motivated, hard working and well trained. There were occasional goofballs but they mostly didn't end up sticking around long and mistakes can always happen but they were always very good about making things right even when customers were unreasonable.

While we never worked on truly exotic cars I worked on plenty of C4 & C5 Corvettes, Porsches, Mercedes, BMW, Lexus etc. When any of these types came in there were usually guys designated to work on those nicer cars that would be careful with them. BTW, we even had touchless machines back then.