F Sport Brake Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-19, 07:40 PM
Marcusmcb1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F Sport Brake Noise

Hey all,
My 2013 Lexus GS 350 F-Sport RWD has been making a loud noise when i hit the brakes. Of course after looking at countless threads the best bet was to get new pads and rotors, but even after brand new pads and rotors it’s still making the loud/embarrassing noise. The sound is coming from the left front tire and it sounds like this :
(don’t mind the bmw this is the only spot on sound I could find)
Could it be the fact that the car comes with racing/performance brakes in the front ?
Has anyone else had this problem and came up with a solution?
Thanks!!
Old 04-29-19, 08:33 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

What rotors and pads did you put on your car? Anything not OEM F Sport rotors and pads will squeal. This car is very unforgiving with front brakes. I've tried StopTech rotors with two different type of ceramic pads (Centric Posi-Quiet and Akebono), both squeals. It's driving me insane. Thinking I will need to put my original OE rotors and pads back on. What a waste of time and money.
Old 04-29-19, 08:44 PM
Marcusmcb1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jdpdata
What rotors and pads did you put on your car? Anything not OEM F Sport rotors and pads will squeal. This car is very unforgiving with front brakes. I've tried StopTech rotors with two different type of ceramic pads (Centric Posi-Quiet and Akebono), both squeals. It's driving me insane. Thinking I will need to put my original OE rotors and pads back on. What a waste of time and money.
I brought it down to my local auto shop, it had OEM rotors and pads, they replaced them both with aftermarket rotors and ceramic pads i believe. Still getting the same squeak i had even when i was fully OEM. I’m 17 and afraid to jack it up because of how expensive the car is and the little bit of experience i have with that stuff. I heard greasing the shims help, and hard braking but that just sounds absurd to me.
Old 04-29-19, 09:04 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Your best bet is go with OEM rotors and pads. This car is very picky with front brakes. Anything aftermarket, it will squeal. My OEM front brakes only squeal when first pulling out of garage. After driving for a bit, no squealing at all. I went aftermarket too with StopTech rotors and ceramics pads, big mistake. They're squealing like crazy now.

I'd take the car back to shop and complain about the squealing. If you still have the OE front rotors and they're still in good condition, just have them turned (resurfaced) then buy some OE pads from your local Lexus dealer, put those back on the front. If they lube back of pads well, it will not squeal. Or you could try bedding-in the new pads a little bit more. How many miles have you put on since getting new brakes. Some brake pads require bedding in procedure. Look up the info from manufacturer of your pads for bedding procedures. But it will probably not work. I've bedded mine in for a 200 miles now, still squealing. Like I said, this damn car is very unforgiving with front brakes. Don't go anything aftermarket, save yourself the grief.
Old 04-29-19, 09:41 PM
Marcusmcb1
Driver School Candidate

Your best bet is go with OEM rotors and pads. This car is very picky with front brakes. Anything aftermarket, it will squeal. My OEM front brakes only squeal when first pulling out of garage. After driving for a bit, no squealing at all. I went aftermarket too with StopTech rotors and ceramics pads, big mistake. They're squealing like crazy now.

I'd take the car back to shop and complain about the squealing. If you still have the OE front rotors and they're still in good condition, just have them turned (resurfaced) then buy some OE pads from your local Lexus dealer, put those back on the front. If they lube back of pads well, it will not squeal. Or you could try bedding-in the new pads a little bit more. How many miles have you put on since getting new brakes. Some brake pads require bedding in procedure. Look up the info from manufacturer of your pads for bedding procedures. But it will probably not work. I've bedded mine in for a 200 miles now, still squealing. Like I said, this damn car is very unforgiving with front brakes. Don't go anything aftermarket, save yourself the grief.
Seems like i’m learning that the hard way, i’m gonna go for a little drive later tonight when some roads are empty and try bedding the pads. Just hard in San Diego cause roads are always packed. I’m gonna give the shop a call tomorrow and let them know what’s going on. I’ve only put on about 30-40 miles since I left the shop. The rotors I had were too thin to get resurfaced.
Looks like i’ll be ordering these pretty soon and installing myself...
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F252855946447
Appreciate the help!
Old 04-29-19, 10:08 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Good luck, report back and let us know how it goes. I'm in the same boat, will probably put my OE rotors and pads back.
The following users liked this post:
Marcusmcb1 (04-29-19)
Old 04-30-19, 03:14 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcusmcb1
Seems like i’m learning that the hard way, i’m gonna go for a little drive later tonight when some roads are empty and try bedding the pads. Just hard in San Diego cause roads are always packed. I’m gonna give the shop a call tomorrow and let them know what’s going on. I’ve only put on about 30-40 miles since I left the shop. The rotors I had were too thin to get resurfaced.
Looks like i’ll be ordering these pretty soon and installing myself...
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F252855946447
Appreciate the help!
Just replace the pads with akebono pads as the squealing happens from certain pads. The BMW and the GS-F and some other Lexus cars have this issue because of performance brakes, thats why he had no noise when he hard braked. Because those pads are really good for some track use, not daily driving.
Old 04-30-19, 07:59 PM
Marcusmcb1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Just replace the pads with akebono pads as the squealing happens from certain pads. The BMW and the GS-F and some other Lexus cars have this issue because of performance brakes, thats why he had no noise when he hard braked. Because those pads are really good for some track use, not daily driving.
Akebonos haven’t given you trouble on a RWD? Which pads did you get? I have another appointment with the auto shop tomorrow to see what’s next for the front rotors. I think my issue was that i had OEM rotors with a bad set of pads. I’m gonna get the new OEM pads lexus put out and put (OEM rotors back on if thick enough) from lexus and see if that helps.
Old 04-30-19, 08:16 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Akebono are squealing for me. Your best bet is go with OEM 2pc rotors and OE semi-metallic pads. Anything else will squeals.
Old 05-01-19, 05:42 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Akebonos haven’t given you trouble on a RWD? Which pads did you get? I have another appointment with the auto shop tomorrow to see what’s next for the front rotors. I think my issue was that i had OEM rotors with a bad set of pads. I’m gonna get the new OEM pads lexus put out and put (OEM rotors back on if thick enough) from lexus and see if that helps.
This is when I had the GS but this was the AWD so not the two-piece. So yes OEM is better the replacements.

Akebono are squealing for me. Your best bet is go with OEM 2pc rotors and OE semi-metallic pads. Anything else will squeals.
Sorry forgot OP had RWD so has the two piece rotor.
Old 05-02-19, 06:33 AM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

I guess everyones car acts different, I have a 2017 RWD F-Sport with the 2 piece rotors and the only time my brakes would squeal is after washing the car and it sat overnight..the following morning it would squeal like hell when backing out but once all the water/rust was cleaned off during reversing the noise was gone. I switched to Akebono ACT1118 pads when the car had about 9k miles just for the dust and they act the same as the OEM pads with regards to the squealing.. only squeal after washing the car.
Old 05-15-19, 08:39 PM
Marcusmcb1
Driver School Candidate

Good luck, report back and let us know how it goes. I'm in the same boat, will probably put my OE rotors and pads back.
Okay, so... The shop put on steel 1 piece rotors i believe and ceramic pads, they still squeak, but it’s not nearly as loud and it only occurs when i’m at about 2mph coming to a stop.(like a quick whistle) I did see a ton of grease on the pads when i looked at it, maybe that muzzled the noise. It’s bearable now, but i’m still considering getting OEM pads and rotors and potentially replacing all the hardware clips to get rid of the beloved squeal once and for all.
Old 05-16-19, 05:01 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 411 Likes on 286 Posts

Okay, so... The shop put on steel 1 piece rotors i believe and ceramic pads, they still squeak, but it’s not nearly as loud and it only occurs when i’m at about 2mph coming to a stop.(like a quick whistle) I did see a ton of grease on the pads when i looked at it, maybe that muzzled the noise. It’s bearable now, but i’m still considering getting OEM pads and rotors and potentially replacing all the hardware clips to get rid of the beloved squeal once and for all.
FYI my one piece OEM f sport rotors do exactly what you described. I think it's been a lot of people's experience that the 2 piece rotors click but when replaced with OEM 1 piece they squeak a little.

I wouldn't change anything based on what you describe because you'll PROBABLY experience the same thing with OEM.
Old 05-16-19, 07:33 AM
3stars1sun
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For those who went aftermarket pads and rotors, how many miles did you put on before it started squeaking? My OEM's were squeaking very bad. I replaced them with Powerstop pads. Drilled and slotted rotors too. It's been squeak free for around 1000 miles now. I don't want to jinx it though.

I work for a Lexus dealership and the service manager said regardless if it's OEM or aftermarket, our brakes will always squeak. Only time will tell how long my Powerstop brakes will last.
Old 05-16-19, 08:43 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3stars1sun
For those who went aftermarket pads and rotors, how many miles did you put on before it started squeaking? My OEM's were squeaking very bad. I replaced them with Powerstop pads. Drilled and slotted rotors too. It's been squeak free for around 1000 miles now. I don't want to jinx it though.

I work for a Lexus dealership and the service manager said regardless if it's OEM or aftermarket, our brakes will always squeak. Only time will tell how long my Powerstop brakes will last.

My StopTech were quiet for first 200 miles, but started to squeal after that. You should be good to go if it hasn't squeal yet for a 1000 miles.

Quick Reply: F Sport Brake Noise