GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

19s or 20s

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-19, 10:53 AM
robroyalty
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
If you like 19", I'd just stick with your OEM 19" F Sport wheels. Those are the nicest wheels Lexus makes, IMO . Plus you still have meat on those tires, why swap them out now, waste of money. And I don't recommend dropping on Tanabe springs. All that does is speed up deterioration of your OE shocks. Stick with Swift springs or go with quality set of coilovers /air suspension. Maybe it's just me, but lowering springs are ghetto as hell. And it ruins the nice ride quality of your Lexus.
I switched from Tanabe springs to swift and it looks way better tanabe makes your car look lowered but swift raised it back up and just closed the gap from the original shocks so it didn’t have that 4x4 look.
Old 05-08-19, 11:23 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 437 Likes on 360 Posts

That Blue looks incredible. I would go with 20 inch wheels as they are the perfect size for a GS.
Old 05-08-19, 11:44 AM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by robroyalty
Go with 20s that extra inch makes a big difference in looks trust me and the tires for 20s are a lot cheaper then 19s not to mention 20 inch tires are usually in stock and 19s you have to order most of the time... also stick with your swift springs I just changed from tanabe to swift and I like the ride a lot better also feels smoother... not saying tanabe is bad but in my opinion swift is better.

If you run the correct ratio tire the overall diameter will be the same if you run 20's or 19's so the gap will be the same..Yes 20's are cheaper but also going to a lower ratio tire means a harsher ride. I have 20's on my other car which came with 18's and a 245/45/18 and going to 20's means I had to run 255/35/20 and you feel every bump in the road..plus if you live in a area with bad roads less sidewall means more bent rims.
Old 05-08-19, 11:46 AM
LexinOnEm
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

19s, Tires is cheaper and more readily available when in need depending on sizes. plus i find it to be a smoother ride than 20s.
Old 05-08-19, 12:12 PM
robroyalty
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TarmacSL3
If you run the correct ratio tire the overall diameter will be the same if you run 20's or 19's so the gap will be the same..Yes 20's are cheaper but also going to a lower ratio tire means a harsher ride. I have 20's on my other car which came with 18's and a 245/45/18 and going to 20's means I had to run 255/35/20 and you feel every bump in the road..plus if you live in a area with bad roads less sidewall means more bent rims.
Going from a 18 to a 20 you will feel the difference but not from a 19 to a 20 also the gs is a big car so the 20 will fit perfect with no rub and it will look good. 19s look small on a gs even when you lower it. The 19s on a gs look like 18s from a distance.
Old 05-08-19, 03:19 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Gorgeous car ����
I'd go with some nice JDM 20" wheels. 19 are little too small for GS IMO. Plus you will wish you went with 20 s
Everyone's tastes are different, IMHO 20"s are too big for these these cars and the thin-profile look is not something desirable to me. I see 20s on a GS and I think "harsh ride and wrecked wheels". Not to mention 20" tires are much more expensive and harder to come by.

-Mike
Old 05-08-19, 04:10 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
Everyone's tastes are different, IMHO 20"s are too big for these these cars and the thin-profile look is not something desirable to me. I see 20s on a GS and I think "harsh ride and wrecked wheels". Not to mention 20" tires are much more expensive and harder to come by.

-Mike
Well you are entitled to your opinion, but 20" tires are much more common than 19" and in some sizes they're actually cheaper than equivalent 19" sizes. And depends on where you live, thiner profile tires don't always mean "wrecked wheels". I'm in CA and around here the streets are pretty decent. I do have to watch for an occasional pothole, but it is no where as bad as for you East Coast people. Stock front were 245/40/19 > 245/35/20 only 5mm difference in aspect ratio it isn't all that noticeable. Rear 262/35/19 > 275/30/20 again 5mm difference.

If I lived in MA/NJ/NY or anywhere with horrible roads, I would not even mod my car.
Old 05-08-19, 04:58 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Well you are entitled to your opinion, but 20" tires are much more common than 19" and in some sizes they're actually cheaper than equivalent 19" sizes. And depends on where you live, thiner profile tires don't always mean "wrecked wheels". I'm in CA and around here the streets are pretty decent. I do have to watch for an occasional pothole, but it is no where as bad as for you East Coast people. Stock front were 245/40/19 > 245/35/20 only 5mm difference in aspect ratio it isn't all that noticeable. Rear 262/35/19 > 275/30/20 again 5mm difference.

If I lived in MA/NJ/NY or anywhere with horrible roads, I would not even mod my car.

I live in NJ and been ridin 20s for 17 years, have them on from April through November, just have to be alert, maybe bent 2 wheels in 17 years, all depends on the type of driver you are.
The following users liked this post:
jdpdata (05-08-19)
Old 05-08-19, 05:51 PM
robroyalty
Driver School Candidate

Well said buddy. I live In Cali also and I’m on 20s and have no problems. I have driven from Cali to Vegas and New Mexico a few times on 20s. I’m driving to Oklahoma tonight in my gs on 20s.. I don’t know why people think 19s are common when they are not. I use to own a rim shop and I can tell anyone when it comes to finding tires for 19s it’s usually harder to find them or to match a pair of staggered because of brand I’ll have 2 fronts 1 brand and 2 rear a different brand.
jdpdata (05-08-19)
Old 05-10-19, 11:19 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Yes, the roads here are terrible but that's why I don't drive my GS much or at all between Jan-Mar at this point.

If I had a pile of cash laying around I'd try them A - B comparison just for the hell of it, though. I am still betting the 20s are still going to be subjectively noisier and harsher,
though. You're taking rubber and air volume out of the tire by going to 20s. Nothing is "free".

-Mike
jdpdata (05-10-19)
Old 05-10-19, 11:33 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Yes, the roads here are terrible but that's why I don't drive my GS much or at all between Jan-Mar at this point.

If I had a pile of cash laying around I'd try them A - B comparison just for the hell of it, though. I am still betting the 20s are still going to be subjectively noisier and harsher,
though. You're taking rubber and air volume out of the tire by going to 20s. Nothing is "free".

-Mike
Actually when I put on new 20" Michelin A/S 3+ without lowering the car, it was much quieter and just as comfortable as stock. The 19" OE Dunlop I had before, those were super noisy and rock hard, granted they were getting old and balled. Lowering is what make a huge difference in ride comfortable. I doubt the 5mm difference in aspect ratio of the tires made a huge change in ride comfortable. Thinner tires increases chance of bent rims if I hit a big pothole, so I'm super careful now driving on 20s also inflate tires to 40psi all around.
Old 05-10-19, 01:16 PM
robroyalty
Driver School Candidate

-Mike
Noise comes from tires brand not size unless you on something like 22s or 24s with rubberband tires. 20s are a nice look and still comfortable I’m driving to Oklahoma right now as we speak in my gs coming from Cali Bay Area and it rises better then stocks.. go 20s
Old 05-13-19, 12:22 PM
Blaque Diamond Wheels
Former Sponsor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I would go for a set of 20" wheels. It would really compliment the size of the car. If you haven't decided on a set, either 19" or 20" shoot me a PM. We can work something out for some BD Wheels
Old 05-14-19, 05:30 PM
Rawkus1513
Rookie

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I have 19s on mine and they look perfect to me. Everyone has their preference so go with what you feel is best for you and your car
Old 05-28-19, 09:35 AM
JAYCON
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All,

I am thinking of purchasing some 20x9.5 and 20x10.5 +35 rims and I am wanted to know if this will fit. If it does, what size tire do you recommend?

Quick Reply: 19s or 20s