GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Need some help on the rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-19, 07:26 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by saifm73
Im going to talk with Lexus tomorrow and see if I really NEED to change the rotors. If they say you don't have to but recommend it, I would go ahead and resurface it. They have to resurface it regardless to putting in new pads if my rotors were in decent shape and if anything goes wrong I'll just change the rotors. Thanks for the help.
I'm a bit confused now. I'm not sure in what context the Lexus dealership told you about needing new rotors. Did they suggest or recommend new rotors or did they specifically tell you that your rotors absolutely cannot be turned because they are definitely not thick enough? You are [now] suggesting as though they may have only 'recommended' new rotors instead of stating 'definitely' that the rotors must be replaced. If they told you the latter, do you think they will backtrack on the advice they told you?
Old 05-07-19, 07:29 PM
saifm73
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I'm a bit confused now. I'm not sure in what context the Lexus dealership told you about needing new rotors. Did they suggest or recommend new rotors or did they specifically tell you that your rotors absolutely cannot be turned because they are definitely not thick enough? You are [now] suggesting as though they may have only 'recommended' new rotors instead of stating 'definitely' that the rotors must be replaced. If they told you the latter, do you think they will backtrack on the advice they told you?
They said my rotors are thin to resurface them. I have like 35k miles and a little confused when they said I needed to change my rotors. Service guy said the rotors were around 27mm which is the minimum thickness

Last edited by saifm73; 05-07-19 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-07-19, 07:44 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

They said my rotors are [too] thin to resurface them. I have like 35k miles and a little confused when they said I needed to change my rotors. Service guy said the rotors were around 27mm which is the minimum thickness
Too thin to resurface them?

The mileage is pretty much irrelevant...

'Around' 27 mm? I don't know the requirement, but assuming the minimum thickness is 27 mm could your rotors be slightly thicker than 27 mm...since he said 'around'?
Old 05-07-19, 07:52 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

@saifm73 The recommend part is always something they say with rotors in my experience. I just went in for an oil change two weeks ago and they hit me with the needs new front brakes and rotors. They confirmed my pad thickness (3mm) but not my rotor thickness.

The reason why they recommended the rotor be changed is because its rusted with some mild pitting. I'm sure they can be shaved down/machined but for me, OEM rotors are around $74/ea if I buy online myself and when I bought the car CPO, the front brakes/rotors were not done (so there's at least 30k miles on them). So it makes sense its time to change them.

I can get the job done at my Lexus dealer for $700 or I can get it done with my local trusted guy for about half that (i'd supply the OEM parts to my guy from https://www.ssl-parts.com/). Keep in mind I have a non F-sport, live where we get rain/snow and there's lots of stop/go traffic.

Curious as to what price were you quoted for Lexus to complete the job?
Old 05-07-19, 07:53 PM
saifm73
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
Too thin to resurface them?

The mileage is pretty much irrelevant...

'Around' 27 mm? I don't know the requirement, but assuming the minimum thickness is 27 mm could your rotors be slightly thicker than 27 mm...since he said 'around'?
He said its too thin to resurface
Old 05-07-19, 07:55 PM
saifm73
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AJLex19
@saifm73 The recommend part is always something they say with rotors in my experience. I just went in for an oil change two weeks ago and they hit me with the needs new front brakes and rotors. They confirmed my pad thickness (3mm) but not my rotor thickness.

The reason why they recommended the rotor be changed is because its rusted with some mild pitting. I'm sure they can be shaved down/machined but for me, OEM rotors are around $74/ea if I buy online myself and when I bought the car CPO, the front brakes/rotors were not done (so there's at least 30k miles on them). So it makes sense its time to change them.

I can get the job done at my Lexus dealer for $700 or I can get it done with my local trusted guy for about half that (i'd supply the OEM parts to my guy from https://www.ssl-parts.com/). Keep in mind I have a non F-sport, live where we get rain/snow and there's lots of stop/go traffic.

Curious as to what price were you quoted for Lexus to complete the job?
I have the f sport model and he quoted me 1048.50 with labor/parts (new pad and rotors) with tax included. F sport RWD rotors are 3.5 times more expensive than AWD which im guessing you have

Last edited by saifm73; 05-07-19 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-07-19, 08:20 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

I have the f sport model and he quoted me 1048.50 with labor/parts (new pad and rotors) with tax included. F sport RWD rotors are 3.5 times more expensive than AWD which im guessing you have
That's 100% correct. I see OEM RWD F-Sport rotors for around $220 each and OEM pads for $60 each...personally, if I had an F-sport, saw that the OEM rotors were that much and I had to change 'em, i'd probably go aftermarket with a good quality OEM-equivalent brand installed by a reputable local shop.
Old 05-07-19, 08:37 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

You can go with aftermarket rotors, but you will risk getting a lot more squealing. I spent about $650 for StopTech rotors (front &rear) and ceramic pads. Currently I have squealing from 5-0mph. It's very faint but it's always there, probably won't go away. I recommended sticking with OEM 2pc rotors. It's expensive but worth not dealing with squeals. You can find a good deal for OEM 2pc rotors and pads from eBay seller. Someone around here will have the link. Then just have your local mechanic install it for you. Will be much cheaper than dealer.
Old 05-07-19, 08:50 PM
saifm73
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jdpdata
You can go with aftermarket rotors, but you will risk getting a lot more squealing. I spent about $650 for StopTech rotors (front &rear) and ceramic pads. Currently I have squealing from 5-0mph. It's very faint but it's always there, probably won't go away. I recommended sticking with OEM 2pc rotors. It's expensive but worth not dealing with squeals. You can find a good deal for OEM 2pc rotors and pads from eBay seller. Someone around here will have the link. Then just have your local mechanic install it for you. Will be much cheaper than dealer.
I'll make my decision tomorrow when I go back to lexus to see what I want to do.
Old 05-22-19, 08:31 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

How did it all work out for you?