GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Need some help on the rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-19, 05:28 PM
saifm73
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help on the rotors

Just got a call that my rotors and pads needs to be replaced at 35k miles. I understand the pads need to be replaced but the rotors!?!?! They said the rotors are around 27mm. My friend who also has the same car said lexus told him the same thing but he declined and went to a non lexus shop and they replaced his pads and resurfaced his rotors and now he is at 58k miles and the car runs fine. What should I do? Get a second opinion or go ahead and change out the rotors?

Last edited by saifm73; 05-07-19 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-07-19, 05:33 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

One thing is for sure, don’t buy R1 Concept rotors. :-)
Old 05-07-19, 05:39 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 317 Likes on 230 Posts

You should be able to machine them if they haven't been resurfaced before.
Old 05-07-19, 05:45 PM
saifm73
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by np20412
You should be able to machine them if they haven't been resurfaced before.
They have never been resurfaced. Lexus told me that my rotors are around 27mm and are too thin to be resurfaced. If I decided to machine them, it shouldn't be a big problem would it?
Old 05-07-19, 05:46 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

What’s interesting is I just crossed 64k miles on my 2017 Fsport and am still on the original brake pads and rotors...
Old 05-07-19, 05:49 PM
saifm73
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
What’s interesting is I just crossed 64k miles on my 2017 Fsport and am still on the original brake pads and rotors...
damn that's crazy. I usually drive normal and easy on the brakes. Im not sure if lexus is playing with me so they can take my money
Old 05-07-19, 05:55 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Probably depends on the dealer. I service at the dealer and they are amazed at how long mine are lasting. I drive 150+ miles a day and 140 of it are highway. Not a ton of breaking with the exception of semi’s pulling in front of me going 50 trying to pass.

Trending Topics

Old 05-07-19, 06:00 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,136 Likes on 1,526 Posts

Probably depends on the dealer. I service at the dealer and they are amazed at how long mine are lasting. I drive 150+ miles a day and 140 of it are highway. Not a ton of breaking with the exception of semi’s pulling in front of me going 50 trying to pass.
That highway driving is the best for brakes, tires, transmission, engine, etc.
Old 05-07-19, 06:05 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Yes it is. On my second set of tires, but I replaced early to get a set of Pilot Sport AS3+. :-)

Steve
Old 05-07-19, 06:05 PM
saifm73
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
That highway driving is the best for brakes, tires, transmission, engine, etc.
I know ur pretty knowledgable on lexus stuff and ur pretty popular on here so can I ask what's your opinion?
Old 05-07-19, 06:07 PM
mikesd1980
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm at 100k now and my car is at the dealer now. They said I need new rear rotors and brakes cause my rotors are rusted bad. My rotors have only been resurfaced and pads replaced by dealer till now. Going to with aftermarket set from rockauto.com. I drive a mix highway and city and drive kind of hard.
Old 05-07-19, 06:26 PM
oldwineguy
Lead Lap

Received 115 Likes on 59 Posts

One thing is for sure, don’t buy R1 Concept rotors. :-)
Why not R1 Concept?
Old 05-07-19, 06:44 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Do a quick search on some recent threads for R1. Personal opinion is you can tell a lot from the problems, response from the vendor (blaming the customer), etc. To each their own, but they have an inferior product with inferior customer service. I would use a brand that values their customers and have high quality products.
Old 05-07-19, 07:06 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,136 Likes on 1,526 Posts

Originally Posted by saifm73
I know ur pretty knowledgable on lexus stuff and ur pretty popular on here so can I ask what's your opinion?
Sure!

Before you find out 'the truth' about your brake pads, and in particular your rotors, you should be thinking ahead about who you will probably choose to do the brake job (and maybe replace the rotors) for you, because what I would do is visit a dependable brake shop or another Lexus dealer and have them give you their advice on what is needed...with particular interest about whether your rotors can be turned (a.k.a. resurfaced), or not.

So, let's say you go to Brakes Plus and they tell you that your pads don't have much life remaining, but the rotors can definitely be turned/resurfaced because they are 'xx' mm thick (get the thickness). Are you going to have that shop replace your pads and turn your rotors? What pads are you going to instruct them to use? Or, are you going to take this information back to your Lexus dealership and tell them you want new OE pads and your rotors are 'xx' mm thick and can be turned (assuming they will do it)?

What I would do is go to a respected independent shop that works on Lexus vehicles or a recommended brake shop and have them inspect your brakes. If they tell you the same thing as your Lexus dealership concerning the rotors that should make you feel better about your Lexus dealership, but I would probably still have the independent shop or brake shop replace the pads with OE pads and turn/resurface the rotors 'if' the rotors have enough thickness. If the rotors need to be replaced because they truly are not thick enough (like Lexus told you) I would probably choose to have the independent shop or brake shop replace the rotors with Lexus OE rotors. I would not recommend using aftermarket pads or rotors...

Lastly, there would be nothing wrong with you deciding to have your Lexus dealership perform the work, especially if you learn that the rotors need replacing. It's just whatever you feel most comfortable doing. Keep in mind that Lexus has the parts and does brake jobs dozens of times each day, so if say your brakes start squealing you can go back to them and probably get better service to remedy it. You will likely see a pretty good difference in the amount of money the shop will charge you versus Lexus for the same parts and labor, with Lexus being higher, so that might be a deciding factor for you.

The main issue is finding out if your rotors really need replacing, or if they can instead be turned/resurfaced. Then you can decide what to do from there...

Last edited by bclexus; 05-07-19 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-07-19, 07:17 PM
saifm73
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
Sure!

Before you find out 'the truth' about your brake pads, and in particular your rotors, you should be thinking ahead about who you will probably choose to do the brake job (and maybe replace the rotors) for you, because what I would do is visit a dependable brake shop or another Lexus dealer and have them give you their advice on what is needed...with particular interest about whether your rotors can be turned (a.k.a. resurfaced), or not.

So, let's say you go to Brakes Plus and they tell you that your pads don't have much life remaining, but the rotors can definitely be turned/resurfaced because they are 'xx' mm thick (get the thickness). Are you going to have that shop replace your pads and turn your rotors? What pads are you going to instruct them to use? Or, are you going to take this information back to your Lexus dealership and tell them you want new OE pads and your rotors are 'xx' mm thick and can be turned (assuming they will do it)?

What I would do is go to a respected independent shop that works on Lexus vehicles or a recommended brake shop and have them inspect your brakes. If they tell you the same thing as your Lexus dealership concerning the rotors that should make you feel better about your Lexus dealership, but I would probably still have the independent shop or brake shop replace the pads with OE pads and turn/resurface the rotors 'if' the rotors have enough thickness. If the rotors need to be replaced because they truly are not thick enough (like Lexus told you) I would probably choose to have the independent shop or brake shop replace the rotors with Lexus OE rotors. I would not recommend using aftermarket pads or rotors...

Lastly, there would be nothing wrong with you deciding to have your Lexus dealership perform the work, especially if you learn that the rotors need replacing. It's just whatever you feel most comfortable doing. Keep in mind that Lexus has the parts and does brake jobs dozens of times each day, so if say your brakes start squealing you can go back to them and probably get better service to remedy it.

The main issue is finding out if your rotors really need replacing, or if they can instead be turned/resurfaced. Then you can decide what to do from there...
Im going to talk with Lexus tomorrow and see if I really NEED to change the rotors. If they say you don't have to but recommend it, I would go ahead and resurface it. They have to resurface it regardless to putting in new pads if my rotors were in decent shape and if anything goes wrong I'll just change the rotors. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Need some help on the rotors