GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-19, 02:16 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I just use Fram filters and have never had on issue with any of my cars.
The following users liked this post:
jmelvin269 (06-04-19)
Old 05-14-19, 04:17 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

I always us OE other than tires & batteries.
Old 06-01-19, 11:29 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by NJLEXES
Correct. I have a 17 AWD and the correct filter is YZZA5 as you say. Only weirdness which I had to research is sometimes you find an "a2" filter inside a YZZA5. It's actually the same filter but for some reason Toyota just changed the part number to YZZA5 even though it's the same filter.

See below from an old post....

Note: The above noted part number replaces old Part# 15613-YZZA2, but this old part number is oftentimes still shipped in a box with the 04152-YZZA5 label.
I ordered some filters for a 2013 RWD from a 3rd party on Amazon. I ordered 04152-YZZA3. The boxes say these are 04152-YZZA3 but then I looked at what's printed on the filter itselt and it matches yours: 15613-YZZA2. The filter is 8cm long. I have a Toyota that takes 04152-YZZA1 filters and it has 15613-YZZA1 printed on it. Why does the YZZA3 have YZZA2 on it while the YZZA1 has YZZA1?

So, I'm not sure what the deal is with what's printed on the filter itself. I couldn't find any results for it as a part number or as a replaced part number for YZZA3. Can anyone confirm that their YZZA3 filter has YZZA2 printed on it and is 8cm long? Are the YZZA5 actually the same size as the YZZA3 too?
Old 06-02-19, 12:03 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by thallium
I ordered some filters for a 2013 RWD from a 3rd party on Amazon. I ordered 04152-YZZA3. The boxes say these are 04152-YZZA3 but then I looked at what's printed on the filter itselt and it matches yours: 15613-YZZA2. The filter is 8cm long. I have a Toyota that takes 04152-YZZA1 filters and it has 15613-YZZA1 printed on it. Why does the YZZA3 have YZZA2 on it while the YZZA1 has YZZA1?

So, I'm not sure what the deal is with what's printed on the filter itself. I couldn't find any results for it as a part number or as a replaced part number for YZZA3. Can anyone confirm that their YZZA3 filter has YZZA2 printed on it and is 8cm long? Are the YZZA5 actually the same size as the YZZA3 too?
Same exact size, same exact filter, no need to stress over this. Toyota/Lexus will create different part numbers for different cars even though the parts are exactly the same. Toyotas been using the same 3.5L v6 in several cars over many years.
Old 06-02-19, 03:37 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
I always us OE other than tires & batteries.
In a cartridge they are probably OK but if you have an engine with the oil filter mounted sideways, FRAM was notorious for not having an anti-drain back valve. First fire up overnight would sound like the motor had no oil and it didn't for the first 10 seconds until it could fill the empty filter back up.

I even fill my filters before I install them when using spin-on filters. It helps avoid dry running while the new filter is filled.
Old 06-02-19, 08:51 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

the real issue is just figuring out the right size filter. a3 is slightly longer than a1. aftermarket filters seem questionable in regards to which size fit. fram i've only come across 9972 filter. stp and purolator the filter seems either too large or small. mobil 1 i've seen m1c-251a, 253a, or 256a. think some references get them mixed up based on turbo, awd, and rwd but in the 16+ rwd 350 its the a1 which is 9972 in fram and 251a in mobil1

a2 filter was d/c and changed to a3 for some reason i think. a5 filter is the same as a3 but one of them just doesn't come with the plastic oil drain plug i believe. this was used in 13-15 i think.

what i wanna know is why they changed from a 1 cm longer filter to a shorter one

Last edited by baconRx; 06-02-19 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-03-19, 03:09 AM
AsianxWu
Driver

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Has anyone tried the K&N filters?

At ~$5 a pop, it's kind of hard to beat from a price standpoint. Not sure how well they preform though.
Old 06-03-19, 03:18 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AsianxWu
Has anyone tried the K&N filters?

At ~$5 a pop, it's kind of hard to beat from a price standpoint. Not sure how well they preform though.
The genuine YZZA3 or YZZA5 are cheaper than that from Toyota online parts shops and probably about the same from a Toyota dealer.
Old 06-03-19, 03:31 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

The genuine YZZA3 or YZZA5 are cheaper than that from Toyota online parts shops and probably about the same from a Toyota dealer.
i don't think they're much cheaper than toyota. definitely cheaper than lexus by a lot. I remember asking my toyota dealership for the part and they were curious what lexus was wanting and they were dumbfounded by the insane markup for the same part. k&n is basically a red OE filter and OE filters are good for at least 10k miles. fram ultra and mobil1 claim they're good for 20k miles but i have yet to see anyone prove theres any real difference in any media. all i know is fram is full synthetic with wire mesh and mobil1 is synthetic blend media last i checked. not sure about OE or specs 99% efficacy on filtering what size particles out.
Old 06-03-19, 03:48 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Originally Posted by baconRx
i don't think they're much cheaper than toyota. definitely cheaper than lexus by a lot. I remember asking my toyota dealership for the part and they were curious what lexus was wanting and they were dumbfounded by the insane markup for the same part. k&n is basically a red OE filter and OE filters are good for at least 10k miles. fram ultra and mobil1 claim they're good for 20k miles but i have yet to see anyone prove theres any real difference in any media. all i know is fram is full synthetic with wire mesh and mobil1 is synthetic blend media last i checked. not sure about OE or specs 99% efficacy on filtering what size particles out.
I'm not sure if you meant to reply to me or the previous but as the previous post said, K&N is cheap at $5.00 but a Toyota parts dealer that I've ordered a lot of parts from over the years has the YZZA5 for $4.87. YZZA3 is not available perhaps because they are not recommending it for any Toyota models but either will work for a 2013 GS350, you just get the drain spout with the A5 that is not needed.

Even if the genuine filter was more than $5 I'd still get it over the K&N.
Old 06-04-19, 03:21 AM
AsianxWu
Driver

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Even if the genuine filter was more than $5 I'd still get it over the K&N.
I just thought since K&N built their reputation on performance filters/intakes, their oil filters would have the same quality.

I also understand that people prefer genuine parts because "the car was designed around it", but I want to put my $.02 in. I'm not sure if this is the same mentality Lexus has since I haven't worked with or for them, but generally OEMs use the parts from suppliers that win the cheapest bid and still works well enough. It is by no means the best part you can get. It's basically just a good middle ground between cost and performance.
The following users liked this post:
Lex76 (06-22-19)
Old 06-04-19, 09:26 AM
thallium
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AsianxWu
I just thought since K&N built their reputation on performance filters/intakes, their oil filters would have the same quality.

I also understand that people prefer genuine parts because "the car was designed around it", but I want to put my $.02 in. I'm not sure if this is the same mentality Lexus has since I haven't worked with or for them, but generally OEMs use the parts from suppliers that win the cheapest bid and still works well enough. It is by no means the best part you can get. It's basically just a good middle ground between cost and performance.
Performance isn't necessarily best for reliability or longevity. My limited knowledge of performance air filters and the like is that they are less restrictive thus allowing for better air flow but then they also potentially let in more contaminates or those oiled air filters which might contamiate your maf with oil. You might be gaining marginal performance with those things but there are trade offs you have for performance. People who race their cars are willing to live with the trade offs and then have more maintenance to deal with and more frequent part changes but for me I'd rather have reliability and longevity.

I don't know anything about K&N filters in particular, I'm just saying.
Old 06-04-19, 09:42 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Have you ever seen one ?
OK, have you ever seen a better oil filter for the application we are discussing?
Old 06-04-19, 07:01 PM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

currently using the TRD filters, although pricey, its well constructed and has synthetic media
Old 06-19-19, 09:05 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
OK, have you ever seen a better oil filter for the application we are discussing?
Some Napa Gold oil filters are made in Venezuela now instead of USA. Napa Gold were made in USA by Wix when I worked at NAPA, don't know how this will affect quality but I will switch to a different brand for both my cars.

Quick Reply: Oil filter