GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

AC Smell

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-19, 11:39 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Does the battery go bad after a year? These things last 3-5 yrs right?
Old 05-10-19, 11:42 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Does the battery go bad after a year? These things last 3-5 yrs right?
The battery does not go bad after a year unless it is a bad battery!

Old 05-10-19, 11:43 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

The battery does not go bad after a year unless it is a bad battery!

Haha that's what I wanna hear! BTW that's what I look like riding my new GS in Eco Mode.
Old 05-10-19, 11:45 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Haha that's what I wanna hear! BTW that's what I look like riding my new GS in Eco Mode.
Hahaha! Yeah, right!

Last edited by bclexus; 05-10-19 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-10-19, 12:02 PM
dphu626
Pole Position

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata

Longo is the highest volume Lexus dealer in the country. They don't care about the little people like me. I too only live about 5 minutes from Longo, but will never return. I had horrible service there twice. Actually got into a shouting match with one of their service advisor. I complaint about wind noise from my driver's window. The idiot blamed it on my aftermarket exhaust. What the hell does an exhaust have anything to do with wind noise? They never even look at my complaint. They seems to be very discriminatory against people with modified Lexus cars. Glendale never a problem. In fact, the service advisor there has a modded GS too, just like mine. Cool dude! Longo oil changes are $149, Glendale $99. Extra 30 minutes drive to save $50 and much better service. And I find that Glendale have much better loaners too. I've gotten brand new 2019 ES, RX, RC,NX..you name it, they have no problems giving it to you.
Damn I'm sorry to hear that. The service advisors have been chill with me. They look into everything I tell them. When I brought in my car for the 60k, my exhaust was installed already. The valet guys looked at me a little funny but that was it.
The following users liked this post:
jdpdata (05-10-19)
Old 05-10-19, 12:05 PM
dphu626
Pole Position

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

I try to tell owners that the 60,000 service is not needed except for oil & filter change (if it has been 10,000 miles or one year since last changed) and the engine air filter and cabin air filter (if needed). The spark plugs do NOT need to be replaced until 150k - 200k miles (unless you like knowing the Emission Control Warranty will remain in effect). The brake fluid does not ever need replacing. Your smart key fob battery can be replaced for a few bucks yourself. If you are not on staggered wheels the tires can be rotated (and balanced which Lexus does not include) at no-charge by quality tire shops like Discount Tire. All the other things that are done at the 60,000 mile service are merely visual checks and inspections, most of which are done on a regular basis whenever regular oil & filter change service is done.

Sadly, for the $1,300 you spent for your 60,000 service you actually only received about $160 (at most) of what was really needed 'if' you received the following: oil & filter change, engine and cabin air filter replacement and smart key battery.
I was in a rush to get somewhere so rather than tell them no and what I really needed, I just said yes. The dealer screwed me and I let them. It was a very expensive mistake to learn from.
Old 05-10-19, 12:30 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

I too got screw over by Longo. When I first purchased my GS (from non-Lexus dealer) I brought it to Longo for 15K service. They charged me over $400 for basically an oil change and key fob battery swap. Back then I didn't know about CL and the valuable information on here. I had a BMW prior and was "used to" being raped for service. I thought Lexus being a higher end car, it's the same. Never again will that happens. Knowledge is power bro. Don't let them over charge you again.
The following 2 users liked this post by jdpdata:
dphu626 (05-10-19), drgrant (05-10-19)
Old 05-10-19, 01:07 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

My old neighbors kid is a tech. at my local Lexus dealer which gives me peace of mind. He and his dad were always attention to detail type of guys. Took mine in today for a software update and he didn't leave one mark on the car. He teased me and asked if I wanted them to wash the car which is black and I gave him a dirty look and he laughed. I always fear damage to my car whenever multiple hands touch it at the dealer.
Old 05-10-19, 09:45 PM
badman5
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had the mildew smell in AC too, so you're not alone. I've changed the cabin filter twice now. At this point i just ignore it unless someone has a solution. I have not tried the Lysol DIY method.
Old 05-12-19, 02:54 PM
Amuse350z
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 05-12-19, 02:55 PM
Amuse350z
Driver

Originally Posted by badman5
I've had the mildew smell in AC too, so you're not alone. I've changed the cabin filter twice now. At this point i just ignore it unless someone has a solution. I have not tried the Lysol DIY method.
Def try the Lysol method as the other guy mentioned above
Old 05-12-19, 03:34 PM
Amuse350z
Driver

Originally Posted by Dcerna
What AC settings do you have on when you have the AC turned on?

Do you have it set to AUTO? or
I had outside air come to the inside. not the inside air circulation.

When u spray the Lysol the car needs to be off and let it sit for about 10 mins before turning the AC on. Then blast the AC on with re-circulation off and windows open until the Lysol smell is gone for about 10 mins.

I did that to my old RC and Camry and the smell never come back. My RC is already gone but I still have the Camry and it's still good. The smell will probably return in the future so we need to do this as part of maintenance.
I had the car started, blasted the AC, then opened the hood and sprayed lysol into vents under the windshield. I smelled Lysol from the vents, so I let it run 15 more mins until it went away.... Next day, I get in the car, smell still exists. I just replaced the cabin filter today and have not driven yet. i will update if it goes away.!! If it doesnt, I will need to try turning off the car, then spray lysol, wait 10 mins, and blast AC method.
Old 05-12-19, 04:14 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Amuse350z
I had outside air come to the inside. not the inside air circulation.

I had the car started, blasted the AC, then opened the hood and sprayed lysol into vents under the windshield. I smelled Lysol from the vents, so I let it run 15 more mins until it went away.... Next day, I get in the car, smell still exists. I just replaced the cabin filter today and have not driven yet. i will update if it goes away.!! If it doesnt, I will need to try turning off the car, then spray lysol, wait 10 mins, and blast AC method.
Yes u need to let the Lysol sits there and kill the bacteria first.
Amuse350z (05-13-19)
Old 05-13-19, 06:48 AM
Amuse350z
Driver

Yes u need to let the Lysol sits there and kill the bacteria first.
bawhaha i'd figured just letting the lysol go thru the vents would be enough!! How long did you spray into the vents before starting the car? Did you spray into all the vents under the windshield or just one area?

Looks like I won't be driving much of the GS this week as I'm on company car maintenance duty
Old 05-13-19, 08:34 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Amuse350z
I just replaced the cabin filter today and have not driven yet.
All of my past odor issues were cabin filter related.
Amuse350z (05-13-19)

Quick Reply: AC Smell