GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

AC Smell

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-19, 09:31 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Only 2 days? How long did the Lysol method last?
Old 06-27-19, 12:59 PM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

You need to get one of these kits. You shoot the foam up the drain pipe for the a/c from under the car where the water comes out.
This will clean the area out where the odor is coming from. It also comes with spray can to use from up above the car into the intake at bottom of windshield.
This will do the trick !!

The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (06-28-19)
Old 06-27-19, 01:03 PM
terrryz
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NJLEXES
You need to get one of these kits. You shoot the foam up the drain pipe for the a/c from under the car where the water comes out.
This will clean the area out where the odor is coming from. It also comes with spray can to use from up above the car into the intake at bottom of windshield.

I tried and couldn't locate the drain pipe. It is supposedly somewhere above the exhaust pipe near the transmission.

Does anyone has a clear idea where it is?
Old 06-28-19, 07:40 AM
Amuse350z
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Only 2 days? How long did the Lysol method last?
just about the same, if not... maybe a day. Maybe Ive got a dead rat stuck somewhere.
Old 06-28-19, 07:41 AM
Amuse350z
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by NJLEXES

thanks man. I'll give this a shot
Old 06-30-19, 01:12 AM
DuB
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

I've used a similar product called Klima-Cleaner on my wife's Audi A5 with good results. I accessed the back of the fan from the footwell and fed the tube through the fan. I'm not sure how feasible that is in our cars as I've never tried though.
Old 07-07-19, 10:31 PM
jaytran2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation A/C mildew/mold smell fix

Hey Everyone,
I have a 2014 GS350 that has been having the mildew/mold smell for some time now. In the past I've tried spraying Lysol to the cabin air intake by the wipers but that is only a temporary fix. I did some looking around and found the A/C drain plug which is actually located right on top of the transmission, and you won't be able to see it without a telescoping mirror tool.
A lot of people on this board have been giving misleading information and saying the drain plug is in the wheel well...this is not correct!. I believe that is part of the sunroof drainage system. You can buy the evaporator cleaning kit from the Toyota dealership for around $30 it comes with the foam cleaner + connecting tube and a small bottle of Lysol type spray can. The tough part in cleaning the evaporator which is located within the dash is reaching the drain plug to connect the hose for the foaming spray. Even with the car lifted up you would need some type of tool to hold the foaming cleaner hose to the A/C drain valve which is tough since the transmission is in the way. Any ony have luck with this? Even trying to access it from the top of the engine bay is tough without having some kind to telescoping tool to get the hose in place.

Also any tried drilling a hole into the housing that holds the evaporator to inject the foam from inside the cabin? This the only other method I've seen done to other model cars. Please chime in if you've had success attaching the foam hose to the A/C drain on the 2014-present GS350 models.
Thanks,
JT

Old 07-07-19, 10:46 PM
jaytran2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terrryz
I tried and couldn't locate the drain pipe. It is supposedly somewhere above the exhaust pipe near the transmission.

Does anyone has a clear idea where it is?
Its located above the transmission...you will need a telescoping mirror tool to be able to see it while looking from above. I'm going to see it I can make a custom tool to reach and hold the foaming hose into the A/C drain hole. This is such a stupid design to place it right above the transmission and the water drips on top of it.
Old 07-08-19, 09:17 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by jaytran2k
Hey Everyone,
I have a 2014 GS350 that has been having the mildew/mold smell for some time now. In the past I've tried spraying Lysol to the cabin air intake by the wipers but that is only a temporary fix. I did some looking around and found the A/C drain plug which is actually located right on top of the transmission, and you won't be able to see it without a telescoping mirror tool.
A lot of people on this board have been giving misleading information and saying the drain plug is in the wheel well...this is not correct!. I believe that is part of the sunroof drainage system. You can buy the evaporator cleaning kit from the Toyota dealership for around $30 it comes with the foam cleaner + connecting tube and a small bottle of Lysol type spray can. The tough part in cleaning the evaporator which is located within the dash is reaching the drain plug to connect the hose for the foaming spray. Even with the car lifted up you would need some type of tool to hold the foaming cleaner hose to the A/C drain valve which is tough since the transmission is in the way. Any ony have luck with this? Even trying to access it from the top of the engine bay is tough without having some kind to telescoping tool to get the hose in place.

Also any tried drilling a hole into the housing that holds the evaporator to inject the foam from inside the cabin? This the only other method I've seen done to other model cars. Please chime in if you've had success attaching the foam hose to the A/C drain on the 2014-present GS350 models.
Thanks,
JT
Originally Posted by jaytran2k
Its located above the transmission...you will need a telescoping mirror tool to be able to see it while looking from above. I'm going to see it I can make a custom tool to reach and hold the foaming hose into the A/C drain hole. This is such a stupid design to place it right above the transmission and the water drips on top of it.

Odd smell coming through HVAC

Old 07-08-19, 10:59 AM
terrryz
Driver School Candidate

I raised the car with jack stand and tried to locate the drain pipe by feel. No luck. I was hoping to feel a small rubber tube but at the end I didn't feel anything that remotely resemble a tube.
Old 07-08-19, 11:20 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I raised the car with jack stand and tried to locate the drain pipe by feel. No luck. I was hoping to feel a small rubber tube but at the end I didn't feel anything that remotely resemble a tube.
You'll probably need a small telescoping and swivel type mirror and use a bright light to find the condensation drain outlet in the floor of the body above the transmission housing.
Old 07-08-19, 11:26 AM
terrryz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
You'll probably need a small telescoping and swivel type mirror and use a bright light to find the condensation drain outlet in the floor of the body above the transmission housing.
I agree these tools would help visually identifying the drain outlet, but then how can I insert a tube into the drain outlet if I cannot reach it?
Old 07-08-19, 12:21 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I agree these tools would help visually identifying the drain outlet, but then how can I insert a tube into the drain outlet if I cannot reach it?
As one video showed; disconnecting the exhaust and removing the transmission cross member allowed the guy to lower the transmission enough to provide him enough room to access the drain outlet. However, before doing all that I would first see if I could locate the drain with a bright light and swivel mirror...and if I could locate it I'd then try to use a small flexible drain stick to unclog the drain. I suspect finding the drain with your fingers depends on how big your arms are and if you can actually position your body at the proper angle to obtain arm/hand/finger access to the sheet metal where the drain is located directly above the transmission.

It would be interesting to know how the Lexus technicians handle this task. I suspect many of them have a shortcut to the manual's way of doing it...

Last edited by bclexus; 07-08-19 at 12:25 PM.