GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

AC Smell

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-19, 01:33 PM
Amuse350z
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default AC Smell

My GS has the funky mildew / urine smell when i initially turn it on for about 15-20 secs then goes away. I've tried the DIY cleaning up with Lysol spray thru Vents (under the hood) while blasting the AC for 15 mins with windows down on 2 occasions.

While it helped, it still has the smell.. I've been only using outside air to inside this week in hope to get rid of them but I still smell it for the first 20 seconds or so.

Anyone experience this with their aristo (lol) and have other recommendations?
Old 05-09-19, 02:04 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Have you tried changing the cabin air filter? Maybe you got dead rat somewhere in your ventilation system.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (05-10-19)
Old 05-09-19, 05:55 PM
slvrcrz
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

i have the same problem as well, i dont know **** about DIY lol, what should we do ?
Old 05-10-19, 03:10 AM
AsianxWu
Driver

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah, I would try changing the cabin filter and see how that goes.

Should take less than 5 minutes. There are videos on YouTube if you need help.
Old 05-10-19, 05:43 AM
Amuse350z
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks fellas. The lexus service record shows the Cabin air filter was replaced on Feb 2019, so I didn't even check. I've ordered a replacement so I will update to see if that fixes it!
Old 05-10-19, 08:54 AM
Dcerna
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Amuse350z
Thanks fellas. The lexus service record shows the Cabin air filter was replaced on Feb 2019, so I didn't even check. I've ordered a replacement so I will update to see if that fixes it!
What AC settings do you have on when you have the AC turned on?

Do you have it set to AUTO? or
Old 05-10-19, 09:29 AM
dphu626
Pole Position

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

When I don't use the air recirculation button, I get a faint sour smell when the outside air blows in. I assumed it was my cabin filter, but when I use the air recirculation, the smell goes away. My cabin filter was just replaced a month ago. I should try using outside air to see if the smell is still there.
Old 05-10-19, 09:34 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Are you guys using the carbon activated OEM cabin air filter? Cheap 3rd party ones don't have to carbon activation. I think the OEM one cost me about $38. You can get them through rockauto.com or your local Lexus dealers. I have no smells with mine with or without recirculation.

Last edited by jdpdata; 05-10-19 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-10-19, 10:08 AM
dphu626
Pole Position

Mine was replaced by Longo when I was foolish to do the 60k service...
Old 05-10-19, 10:11 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by dphu626
Lol how much did that cost? I hate Longo with a passion, they're all pompous ******. I drive all the way to Glendale for service. Cabin air filter is very easy to change literally took me 10 seconds. I already changed both of my filters so the dealer have no reason to rape me on those filters.
freeflight (07-13-19)
Old 05-10-19, 10:28 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

When u spray the Lysol the car needs to be off and let it sit for about 10 mins before turning the AC on. Then blast the AC on with re-circulation off and windows open until the Lysol smell is gone for about 10 mins.

I did that to my old RC and Camry and the smell never come back. My RC is already gone but I still have the Camry and it's still good. The smell will probably return in the future so we need to do this as part of maintenance.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 05-10-19 at 10:32 AM.
Amuse350z (05-12-19)
Old 05-10-19, 10:40 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

What did that foolishness cost you?
Old 05-10-19, 10:54 AM
dphu626
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Lol how much did that cost? I hate Longo with a passion, they're all pompous ******. I drive all the way to Glendale for service. Cabin air filter is very easy to change literally took me 10 seconds. I already changed both of my filters so the dealer have no reason to rape me on those filters.
Originally Posted by bclexus
What did that foolishness cost you?
A little over $1300.

I've never had an issue with Longo and it's like 5 minutes from my house. I was in a hurry and I just agreed to it. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't do anything and just charged me. I don't feel a difference. Never again.
Old 05-10-19, 11:15 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

A little over $1300.

I've never had an issue with Longo and it's like 5 minutes from my house. I was in a hurry and I just agreed to it. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't do anything and just charged me. I don't feel a difference. Never again.

Longo is the highest volume Lexus dealer in the country. They don't care about the little people like me. I too only live about 5 minutes from Longo, but will never return. I had horrible service there twice. Actually got into a shouting match with one of their service advisor. I complaint about wind noise from my driver's window. The idiot blamed it on my aftermarket exhaust. What the hell does an exhaust have anything to do with wind noise? They never even look at my complaint. They seems to be very discriminatory against people with modified Lexus cars. Glendale never a problem. In fact, the service advisor there has a modded GS too, just like mine. Cool dude! Longo oil changes are $149, Glendale $99. Extra 30 minutes drive to save $50 and much better service. And I find that Glendale have much better loaners too. I've gotten brand new 2019 ES, RX, RC,NX..you name it, they have no problems giving it to you.
Old 05-10-19, 11:33 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

A little over $1300.

I try to tell owners that the 60,000 service is not needed except for oil & filter change (if it has been 10,000 miles or one year since last changed) and the engine air filter and cabin air filter (if needed). The spark plugs do NOT need to be replaced until 150k - 200k miles (unless you like knowing the Emission Control Warranty will remain in effect). The brake fluid does not ever need replacing. Your smart key fob battery can be replaced for a few bucks yourself. If you are not on staggered wheels the tires can be rotated (and balanced which Lexus does not include) at no-charge by quality tire shops like Discount Tire. All the other things that are done at the 60,000 mile service are merely visual checks and inspections, most of which are done on a regular basis whenever regular oil & filter change service is done.

Sadly, for the $1,300 you spent for your 60,000 service you actually only received about $160 (at most) of what was really needed 'if' you received the following: oil & filter change, engine and cabin air filter replacement and smart key battery.

60,000 Mile Service:
Replace engine oil and oil filter (0W-20) - Might not even need replacing! Only needed if it has been 10,000 miles or one year since last changed
Rotate tires (Applies to models with the same size front and rear tires and wheels.) - Can be done (with balancing) at no-charge by quality tire shops
Replace air conditioner filter - Might not even need replacing! OE Charcoal filter can be ordered online for $38.00 and changed in 5 minutes
Replace brake fluid - Not ever needed (Toyota does not recommend brake fluid replacement for any of their branded vehicles)
Replace engine air filter - Might not even need replacing! OE filter can be ordered online for $16.50 and changed in 5 minutes
Replace smart key battery - CR2032 battery can be bought at any drug/pharmacy store for $3.00 and replaced in 5 minutes
Replace spark plugs - Not needed until 150k - 200k miles. New spark plugs will not provide additional fuel mileage, performance or advantage in any way whatsoever
Measure brake pad thickness and rotor runout
Reset maintenance reminder light
Road test vehicle
Check installation of driver's floor mat
Inspect axle shaft boots
Inspect ball joints and dust covers
Inspect body
Inspect brake lines and hoses
Inspect drive belt(s)
Inspect engine coolant
Inspect exhaust pipes and mounting
Inspect fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses.
Inspect fuel tank cap gasket
Inspect rack and pinion steering assembly
Inspect rear differential oil
Inspect steering linkage and boots
Inspect transmission for signs of leakage
Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
Amuse350z (05-12-19), jdpdata (05-10-19)

Quick Reply: AC Smell