GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Tires, Short life, RIP

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-19, 10:31 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

It all depends on how hard you drive your car. I purchased my car with 24,xxx miles and tires had about 5/10. By 31k they were bald. I bought the pirelli cinturato p7 with 65k mileage and now at 69k miles, I am almost ready for new tires. I live up a steep incline and drive my car hard, corner hard. Tires are worn evenly so I suspect I wont be hassled with warranty. Keep tires inflated, rotated and balanced, make sure your alignment is good. If you still have low mileage, you probably drive like you stole it. All good
Old 05-21-19, 02:19 PM
Msmarvel
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love Discount tire....

when I bought my GS FS. the service tech at my Lexus dealer told me the tire life runs around 20-30k with normal wear and tear..mostly because they have 2 sets of sizes on them. I dont know if there is a trick to getting a full life, although thinking back, I dont think any of my cars got 100% usage on them. But Discount for sure will be up front and honest with you...

buying new tires for the car will be $$$$, I am scared to go in.
The following users liked this post:
Discount Tire (05-21-19)
Old 05-22-19, 05:57 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Msmarvel
Love Discount tire....

when I bought my GS FS. the service tech at my Lexus dealer told me the tire life runs around 20-30k with normal wear and tear..mostly because they have 2 sets of sizes on them. I dont know if there is a trick to getting a full life, although thinking back, I dont think any of my cars got 100% usage on them. But Discount for sure will be up front and honest with you...
I just had a new set of Michelin tires put on a BMW. The Discount Tire agent who recommended them said the secret to long tire life was to bring the car back in every 5000 miles and have the tires rotated and balanced...all for free.
Old 05-22-19, 06:10 AM
Msmarvel
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok Good to know....my only concern is because the back tires can only be rotated with each other, and the front the same...unlike traditional all 4 wheels can rotate with each other.
Old 05-22-19, 06:30 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
I ... the secret to long tire life was to bring the car back in every 5000 miles and have the tires rotated and balanced...all for free.
Very true, lots of people don’t realize that unbalanced tires can significantly shorten tire life... and suspension components as well. In fact I would surmise that an overly vibrating car can shorten the life of every component in the car, interior, exterior and mechanical.

Originally Posted by Msmarvel
ok Good to know....my only concern is because the back tires can only be rotated with each other, and the front the same...unlike traditional all 4 wheels can rotate with each other.
The reason I prefer a squared setup... the simplicity of tire rotation. I will likely be going down that route when my rears wear out.
Old 05-22-19, 12:37 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
I just had a new set of Michelin tires put on a BMW. The Discount Tire agent who recommended them said the secret to long tire life was to bring the car back in every 5000 miles and have the tires rotated and balanced...all for free.
Rotating and re-balancing the tires every 5,000 - 6,000 miles is very important to achieve the longest life of tires, but there are many other factors that influence tire wear. If any one or more of the following conditions are part of your circumstances the life of your tires will most likely fall far short of the tire manufacturer's mileage warranty:
Soft tire (low tread wear number)
So-called 'summer' tires
Mostly stop-'n-go city driving
Driving on roads with abrasive pavement aggregate
Driving on pavement that is grooved to aid friction and/or help remove water
Under-inflated tire pressure
Aggressive driving
Stretched tires mounted on wheels that are too wide for tires
Lowering springs installed
Staggered tire setup
Heavy vehicle weight
Predominantly 'all wheel drive'.

Last edited by bclexus; 05-22-19 at 12:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
drgrant (05-22-19)