GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

LED bar project / interior switch for blanks / night vision

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-19, 07:59 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Ah yes I remember that night vision thing back in 2013 and it died fast.
Old 09-19-19, 10:09 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
So your trigger for the light bar is the high beam with the relay? Why not install a sepreate aftermarket switch to control the light bar independently.?
The 'night vision' switch operates as a momentary on for the light bar, ie hold it and it powers up. It's the only one that currently works. Will primarily be used for dazzling slow foreigners in the fast lane.

The only legal way to wire it is to have it come on with the high beams - the 'hold' button will toggle on, toggle off with the help of a monostable latching relay I'm yet to purchase. The relay will be in series with a 12v signal from the high beam so I can control it with the high beam stalk (after pushing hold once).

I haven't worked out how to do this yet but I'm guessing I'll place a small relay on the high beam wire at one of the headlights, with the output of the latching relay passing through this high beam relay to activate the 40 amp light bar relay.....

Given the light bar is hidden and the controls aren't labelled, I'm hoping the illegal wiring will pass the yearly pink slip inspection without detection! The dual switch is a rather rare item and took some effort to identify and obtain. It's worth noting that they are LHD/RHD specific part numbers due to the curve in the dash!

Last edited by Cwang; 09-19-19 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-19-19, 10:15 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
The 'night vision' switch operates as a momentary on for the light bar, ie hold it and it powers up. It's the only one that currently works. Will primarily be used for high beaming slow foreigners in the fast lane.

The only legal way to wire it is to have it come on with the high beams - the 'hold' button will toggle on, toggle off with the help of a monostable latching relay I'm yet to purchase. The relay will be in series with a 12v signal from the high beam so I can control it with the high beam stalk (after pushing hold once).

I haven't worked out how to do this yet but I'm guessing I'll place a small relay on the high beam wire at one of the headlights, with the output of the latching relay passing through this high beam relay to activate the 40 amp light bar relay.....

Given the light bar is hidden and the controls aren't labelled, I'm hoping the illegal wiring will pass the yearly pink slip inspection without detection!
Why are light bar illegal in your parts? People add light bars to their trucks and SUV all the time. Illegal wiring? It's illegal in your country to wire anything in your car?
Old 09-19-19, 10:27 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Why are light bar illegal in your parts? People add light bars to their trucks and SUV all the time. Illegal wiring? It's illegal in your country to wire anything in your car?
It's illegal to use light bars in the city, and illegal to use without high beam. It makes sense, no one needs to be blinded by roof mounted bars in the city as they're not dipped. Secondly if you are wanting that much light you're going to have high beam on anyways. It makes it easier to turn them off quickly when approaching oncoming traffic on a corner so noone is blinded and crashes.

The intention is for them to be used on rural roads to spot roos and wombats, the rules on wiring reflect this - must go with high beam. Yes most things Americans take for granted are illegal here(like cop radars and pistols) but everyone gets home at the end of the day.
Old 09-19-19, 10:38 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

It's only illegal if you use it improperly or wrong situation. having it installed is not illegal. There are plenty of vehicles with light bars driving around the city. They would have to make light bars outright illegal for any vehicle, but that's not the case.
Old 09-19-19, 01:11 PM
Cwang
Instructor

It's only illegal if you use it improperly or wrong situation. having it installed is not illegal. There are plenty of vehicles with light bars driving around the city. They would have to make light bars outright illegal for any vehicle, but that's not the case.
I never said light bars are illegal where I am, but it is to have it wired without being locked to the high beams. Also requires an isolation switch so the high beams can be used without the bar. The car won't get it's pink slip if the mechanic picks this up. If I get caught and don't get it fixed before rego runs out I face an automatic $900 fine the next time I drive past any stationery police car
Old 09-19-19, 01:16 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Getting off topic, I'm happy with the mod, I'll post pics soon of the nighttime performance so others can decide if it's worthy addition to their vehicle.
Old 09-19-19, 02:29 PM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Get some pics of it on please.
Old 09-20-19, 06:22 AM
Cwang
Instructor

There are no areas nearby which aren't lit at night so I'll reserve judgement on the ebay light until I hit the bush. This was the best spot I could find. Lights off > low beam > high beam > just LED bar. It was hard to take good photos with my phone as the brighter the light, the less it captures!

The following users liked this post:
maclem8223 (09-29-19)