Lots of brake pedal effort needed just to stop the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-19, 08:49 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by donkiboy
UPDATE:

I got it checked out by the dealer and they say everything looks and functions like it should. No error codes and the brake system looks OK upon inspection.
In retrospect, the braking power isn't exactly non-existent. That was bit overstated on my part.
The brake pedal just feels stiff and had short pedal travel before bottoming out. Most braking scenarios feel like it requires more pedal action than otherwise needed on other cars.

Brake service was done (during CPO process) about 3000-4000 miles ago. I've only logged 3000 miles since owning it for 12 months.

Possibly residual surface rust on the rotors causing this brake pedal feeling?
Or brake rotors need to be bedded in properly?

You should have to bottom out the brake pedal to stop the car. My 450h, it doesn't take much brake pedal movement to stop the car. If it's spongey or bottoms out too easily you might have some air in the brake lines. Could happen if they didn't bleed it properly after a brake fluid flush. My guess is that may be the case here. If you work on cars I'd bleed the brakes first otherwise take it to an independent shop or another Lexus dealer.
Old 05-29-19, 09:03 AM
donkiboy
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
You should have to bottom out the brake pedal to stop the car. My 450h, it doesn't take much brake pedal movement to stop the car. If it's spongey or bottoms out too easily you might have some air in the brake lines. Could happen if they didn't bleed it properly after a brake fluid flush. My guess is that may be the case here. If you work on cars I'd bleed the brakes first otherwise take it to an independent shop or another Lexus dealer.
Thanks. I've replaced brake pads before, so this should'n't be difficult to do myself. When you bleed the brakes and put in brake fluid does it need to be OEM Toyota / Lexus fluid? Or whatever is sold at most auto parts stores?
Old 05-29-19, 09:09 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Thanks. I've replaced brake pads before, so this shouldn't be difficult to do myself. When you bleed the brakes and put in brake fluid does it need to be OEM Toyota / Lexus fluid? Or whatever is sold at most auto parts stores?
Brake fluid is inexpensive I would stick with the OEM Toyota Lexus fluid, start bleeding at the passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front, and make then sure the fluid in the reservoir is good.

Also air in the brake lines would not throw any codes.
Old 05-29-19, 11:28 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,513 Posts

UPDATE:

I got it checked out by the dealer and they say everything looks and functions like it should. No error codes and the brake system looks OK upon inspection.
In retrospect, the braking power isn't exactly non-existent. That was bit overstated on my part.
The brake pedal just feels stiff and had short pedal travel before bottoming out. Most braking scenarios feel like it requires more pedal action than otherwise needed on other cars.

Brake service was done (during CPO process) about 3000-4000 miles ago. I've only logged 3000 miles since owning it for 12 months.

Possibly residual surface rust on the rotors causing this brake pedal feeling?
Or brake rotors need to be bedded in properly?
Wow! You say your car barely is able to stop as if it is damn near dangerous to drive ... but the Lexus technician says that everything looks and functions like it should. What the hell is wrong with this story?

One of you has to be as wrong, as wrong can possibly be! Which one is it?
Old 05-29-19, 12:55 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like you may have air in your brake lines. Can you go test drive another GS at the dealer and see if there are major difference in peddle feels?
Old 05-29-19, 01:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by swat1727
Sounds like you may have air in your brake lines. Can you go test drive another GS at the dealer and see if there are major difference in peddle feels?
You are suggesting that the Lexus technician that said; "everything looks and functions like it should" doesn't know what he's doing! There is either a problem with the OP's brakes, or there isn't a problem with his brakes. My money is that the OP's brakes do not have a problem, and the problem the OP has is a figment of his imagination.

Old 05-29-19, 01:31 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Originally Posted by bclexus
You are suggesting that the Lexus technician that said; "everything looks and functions like it should" doesn't know what he's doing! There is either a problem with the OP's brakes, or there isn't a problem with his brakes. My money is that the OP's brakes do not have a problem, and the problem the OP has is a figment of his imagination.

I personally do not trust any one particular tech. Instead of go to another dealer for second opinion, it's easier to just do a side by side brake comparison with another GS to know for sure. It's safety. What if the tech was wrong and not him?
Old 05-29-19, 01:35 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I personally do not trust any one particular tech. Instead of go to another dealer for second opinion, it's easier to just do a side by side brake comparison with another GS to know for sure. It's safety. What if the tech was wrong and not him?
Very doubtful...considering he brought the car in specifically to have the brakes checked, and I feel sure he explained why he wanted the brakes checked.
Old 05-29-19, 02:40 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Maybe you have some grease or oil on your rotors? Get a can of brake cleaner, spray everything down.
Old 05-29-19, 03:29 PM
Amuse350z
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Something wrong with your master cylinder or brake lines. That's not normal. My GS takes very little brake effort to stop the car. Almost too sensitive for my taste.
this has happened to my old daily civic before. it was the master cylinder
Old 05-29-19, 04:30 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by er34
Maybe you have some grease or oil on your rotors? Get a can of brake cleaner, spray everything down.
Originally Posted by Amuse350z
this has happened to my old daily civic before. it was the master cylinder
Gee-whiz - Don't y'all kinda think that maybe the trained Lexus technician thoroughly checked out the OP's brakes from A to Z when he declared them to be functioning as they should? Are y'all non-believers in what the expert said? I don't see the need, nor the benefit, in just continuing to throw out possible suggestions when a trained expert had eyes and hands on the OP's brakes and found absolutely nothing wrong with them. What am I missing here?

Last edited by bclexus; 05-29-19 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-29-19, 04:57 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Originally Posted by bclexus
Gee-whiz - Don't y'all kinda think that maybe the trained Lexus technician thoroughly checked out the OP's brakes from A to Z when he declared them to be functioning as they should? Are y'all non-believers in what the expert said? I don't see the need, nor the benefit, in just continuing to throw out possible suggestions when a trained expert had eyes and hands on the OP's brakes and found absolutely nothing wrong with them. What am I missing here?

We are offering suggestions, which is what the forum is designed for.
The following 3 users liked this post by swat1727:
boostinsc (05-29-19), signdetres (05-29-19), SJM (10-14-21)
Old 05-29-19, 05:12 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

We are offering suggestions, which is what the forum is designed for.
You are offering suggestions for someone that has already had an expert look into what the OP 'thought' was a problem with his brakes.

For you to continue to offer suggestions would be like someone going to an Emergency Room complaining about a pain in his side, and it was determined by qualified doctors that he had a ruptured appendix and needed to have his appendix removed, which was competently performed. Yet you [for some reason] continue to offer your suggestion by telling the person that maybe it was a food allergy even after the situation was already professionally diagnosed and dealt with.
Old 05-29-19, 05:57 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

my question is when you test drive the car before u buy it was it the same feeling you having now?
Old 05-30-19, 10:14 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Food for thought, but I bet many people don't know what a truly bottomed out pedal on a GS feels like.

If I leave my car parked for several days, and I get in it, when I hit the brake to start the car, the pedal barely moves, although I don't have to apply much pressure to get the car to start regardless. It truly is just about bottomed out. I presume this is just because there's some gradual relief of vacuum pressure in the system vs time or something. Upon starting the car, of course, the pedal goes back to "normal" and it will stay normal unless the car is parked again for several days.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Lots of brake pedal effort needed just to stop the car