GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

I literally was blown away by the state of my cabin filter.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-19, 07:42 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 126 Posts
Default I literally was blown away by the state of my cabin filter.

Apologies for the self promotion, as I'm trying this YouTube thing.
But, no need to watch video, thumbnail sums it up. Or jump to 08:00 in video.

I almost didn't buy my 2015 GS 350 due to a weird smell, which I attributed to it sitting for several months. After pulling out the cabin filter, the smell makes more sense.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Car had 49k on it when I got it, so I'm assuming filter was never changed. But still, seems excessive.

Either way, credit to this forum and YouTube for helping me do this myself and save money. I'm so far from being the guy who works on his car, lol.

https://youtu.be/rIvE5nVAsCY

Last edited by NickMayer; 05-26-19 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-26-19, 09:27 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Damn! That's gross. You have been breathing in all that stuff? I changed all filters myself in all my cars, super easy to do and save from letting the dealer sodomized me
The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (05-28-19)
Old 05-26-19, 09:29 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Damn! That's gross. You have been breathing in all that stuff? I changed all filters myself in all my cars, super easy to do and save from letting the dealer sodomized me
Right?! They wanted 200 bucks, love that I finally realized how easy this was. But damn I couldn't believe the state it was in. Like, were they off road ing on wet cardboard? Hahahaha
Old 05-26-19, 10:43 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,299 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Nick - Since your cabin air filter had so much loose debris on top of the filter you're probably lucky that none of it fell down into the duct work or into the fan housing. That kind of debris could become lodged in the fan and cause the fan to lock-up, or the moving fan blades to catch some debris and make an irritating noise inside the cabin.

I'm guessing most of the larger debris that was loose on top of the cabin air filter came from the previous owner parking the car under the same tree a lot, which dropped pollen pods, leaves and pieces of bark in the cowl area.
NickMayer (05-28-19)
Old 05-26-19, 11:00 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by bclexus
Nick - Since your cabin air filter had so much loose debris on top of the filter you're probably lucky that none of it fell down into the duct work or into the fan housing. That kind of debris could become lodged in the fan and cause the fan to lock-up, or the moving fan blades to catch some debris and make an irritating noise inside the cabin.

I'm guessing most of the larger debris that was loose on top of the cabin air filter came from the previous owner parking the car under the same tree a lot, which dropped pollen pods, leaves and pieces of bark in the cowl area.
Hmm, that would make sense I guess. It was the consistency of wet cardboard that dried in sun, so pieces of tree would make sense. From what I could see, the fan directly below filter seemed clear in the video. (i don't remember).

To be sure, could I remove the filter and turn fan on to see if it's clear? I never notice any sounds when is on, though I don't hardly use it, and never turn it up high (fan speed)
Old 05-26-19, 11:29 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,166 Likes on 753 Posts

I changed a friend's in his ES. When I asked him had he ever changed it he asked what is a cabin air filter. Over 50% of it had green mold on it. I replace mine once a year and at six months take it out and hit it with my leaf blower.
NickMayer (05-28-19)
Old 05-26-19, 11:31 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by Freds430
I changed a friend's in his ES. When I asked him had he ever changed it he asked what is a cabin air filter. Over 50% of it had green mold on it. I replace mine once a year and at six months take it out and hit it with my leaf blower.
Ewwww, lol

So you think blown it out at least every 6 months to a year? Makes sense. I'd love to know if or when this had ever been replaced.
Old 05-26-19, 11:32 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Unless some pieces of debris dropped off when you pulled the laden cabin air filter out I doubt anything dropped down into the fan or duct work. I wouldn't worry about it now. If you don't hear anything whacking the fan blades it sounds (excuse the pun) like all is good...

PS - Does it make you wonder what else the previous owner didn't do that he/she should have?
Old 05-26-19, 11:33 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Unless some pieces of debris dropped off when you pulled the laden cabin air filter out I doubt anything dropped down into the fan or duct work. I wouldn't worry about it now. If you don't hear anything whacking the fan blades it sounds (excuse the pun) like all is good...
Fair enough. It did seem to all be on top, so I guess the filter was doing its job.
Old 05-26-19, 11:42 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

We don't have many Kentuckians...at least not on the GS 350 forum. What part of Kentucky are you in? I think member Knucklebus is in Bowling Green.
Old 05-26-19, 11:48 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

We don't have many Kentuckians...at least not on the GS 350 forum. What part of Kentucky are you in? I think member Knucklebus is in Bowling Green.
Most of Kentucky doesn't even claim us, lol. Northern KY, closer to Cincinnati Ohio than anything. Independence, KY to be exact.
Old 05-26-19, 11:58 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 555 Likes on 403 Posts

Clean the the bird bomb off your fender before it stains the paint! Glad you corrected your cabin filter.
NickMayer (05-28-19)
Old 05-26-19, 12:00 PM
NickMayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by charley95
Clean the the bird bomb off your fender before it stains the paint! Glad you corrected your cabin filter.
They were out to get my wife! Only happens when she drives. It was inside the damn door as well! I made her clean it, hahaha.

So glad I didn't ignore this for sure!
Old 05-26-19, 12:53 PM
NickMayer
Advanced

PS - Does it make you wonder what else the previous owner didn't do that he/she should have?
Right?! Car was in a wreck as well and wasn't eligible for CPO. But I got a great deal. Don't think it was abused, but you really never know. No owners manual in here, which was disappointing. Like how hard is it to keep that stuff, and the window sticker.

But what you going to do? 😁
Old 05-26-19, 01:05 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

All that paper seems to be the work of a mouse. Glad it didn't chew any wires up!
NickMayer (05-28-19)

Quick Reply: I literally was blown away by the state of my cabin filter.